Honored Contributor

I rarely ever need to take a pain reliever, but always have Aleve liquid gels on hand.   

Respected Contributor

I too like using peppermint oil for headaches. But it doesnt penetrate the skin to daub it it where your headache is. I simply get some on my fingertips ( index finger over the bottle opening an tip it, like it was perfume) and put on the end of my nose/nostrils abd breath in deeply....ahhh love it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tylenol, Advil, Motrin

[ Edited ]

I keep some Aleve on hand (Naproxen) and it can be very helpful.  But I won't take it very often and always make sure I eat something first.

The thing I hate about OTC pain meds is that each of them can do specific damage, but I always forget which does what.  I just know that one can hurt your stomach, one kidneys, and one - oh heck, I forgot the other one.  d'oh!

ETA:  I just remembered the other one - liver.  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone now taking a "combination" product?  

Extra Strength Excedrin is a combination of Aspirin and Acetominophen.   I like that, but there are other "combinations" out there now.

Advil now has a product called Advil Dual Action which is a combination of ibuprofen and Acetominophen.

There are others, too.

I don't recall the source comparing two pain relievers, but I read somewhere that one was better for pain and the other was better for inflammation

This probably led to the new products out there combining two products.

Just speculation on my part. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't take Advil and Motrin any more due to Afib so Tylenol is all I can take.  It doesn't do much for my joint pain.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excederin extra strength. Tylenol is just a waste as it does nothing.

Trusted Contributor

Only Tylenol.

Two years ago I had a duodenal ulcer that hemorrhaged. The doctors said the ulcer was caused by NSAIDS. I am under strict orders to only take Tylenol...no NSAIDS including aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc. I was rushed to the ER after fainting at home....went into hemorrhagic shock, respiratory failure, and TACO (transfusion associated circulatory overload). I was in the hospital for four days, including being in the ICU for two days and on a ventilator for 24 hours. Needless to say, it was the scariest experience of my life!

My ulcer was "silent"...no prior warning symptoms like stomach pain or food intolerance. The only warning I had was on the day my ulcer hemorrhaged.  I suddenly felt extremely weak and fatigued, and later that evening I fainted as my husband was helping me get into bed. I had never fainted before, so he immediately called 911. The doctors explained that ulcers are almost always caused by either a bacteria called H pylori or by NSAIDS. I was tested for H pylori and it was negative. But I had been taking a baby aspirin a day for many years...and I took aspirin or Advil whenever I had a headache, fever, etc. 

So now I only take Tylenol! And it works just fine for headaches, fever, etc.I had read and heard for years that aspirin and other NSAIDS could cause ulcers, internal bleeding, etc. But somehow you never think it will happen to you!

Respected Contributor

Last summer when I had iliotibial strain, I finally took Aleve which took care of the ongoing severe pain.  It was strong but so was the pain from the quadricep to the kneecap.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

What do you take for pain?

@pprmntstx   Being a Dancer and dealing with injuries all the time (Not as much as I age)  Aspirin is equvalent to a M&M for me.  I take 600 Ibuprophen.  You must at with it or it can cause ulcers-bleeding.   I do like Aleve as it is time released.  Both work very well but it depends what you are dealing with.  A injury?  Ot Arthritis??  

Talk to your Dr. before taking anything.   If you have a history of ulcers or stomach problems  Take nothing without talking to a Dr.  

Dr.'s don't like any of these but I don't like pain so I do what I think is best for me. Seriously don't take any of those with out having food in your stomach.  Good Luck.   

Honored Contributor

I'm on a blood thinner, Xarelto, so because of that, I can only take Tylenol.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?