Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1

I take Swanson 720mg caps 2/day since Dec 2015.

These have no black pepper in them, so I'm sure they are not as effective, but I'm pleased with the result.

One time when we were out of town I ordered a different brand (Naturewise) containing black pepper.

It upset my stomach so for now, I will stay with the plainest.  Maybe I will "graduate" some time in the future!

Thanks, I take turmeric with pepper and ginger 1500 mg. I have taken them for about a month, but recently I've experienced some diarrhea. I googled side effects and this can be one of them. I just wondered if it was usual.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Hubby took the one with black pepper & it made his stomach hurt at first. It's better now & I think he still takes it. 

Honored Contributor

I take one from Puritans Pride has 1,000 mg of Turmeric Curcumin and 5 mg Black Pepper, no issues.

Regular Contributor

I use about a 1/4 tsp of fresh grated  turmeric and 1/2 tsp of fresh  grated ginger mixed in hot water. Let it seep a couple minutes and drink each morning. 

Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

I use about a 1/4 tsp of fresh grated  turmeric and 1/2 tsp of fresh  grated ginger mixed in hot water. Let it seep a couple minutes and drink each morning. 

Interesting! Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

For those of you who take a turmeric supplement, have you experienced any, ahem,  digestive difficulties ?  TIA.

I started taking minimum dose (450mg) once daily, a month or so ago, as I have read that it is great as an anti-inflammatory, not sure I have noticed any joint improvement, BUT have noticed much more regularity..which is always a good side effect! 

Will probably keep taking it for awhile..

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

For those of you who take a turmeric supplement, have you experienced any, ahem,  digestive difficulties ?  TIA.

Oh, yes I did!

I took Andrew's for a 7-10 days. Same results you had + upset stomach. 

Was trying a find relief for arthritic pain in 1 knee. No pain relief, just frequent toilet runs.

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I started taking minimum dose (450mg) once daily, a month or so ago, as I have read that it is great as an anti-inflammatory, not sure I have noticed any joint improvement, BUT have noticed much more regularity..which is always a good side effect! 

Will probably keep taking it for awhile..

The most recommended dose for optimal anti-inflammatory benefits is 1500mg per day, divided into two or three doses with food. You may not be experiencing any improvement with only 450mg. @Evie2004

Valued Contributor

@QVCkitty1, yes I did!  I tried taking it once but ouch ... my poor stomach could not tolerate it. I have no negative reaction to tumeric that's added to foods, but taking it in high-dose capsule form is not good for my gut.