Super Contributor

So my Dr. has me taking Triple Flex which is a joint support of Glucosamine, Chondroitn and MSM and also Turmeric because i have arthritis and overuse in both my knees from being a aerobics instructor for 37 yrs. But she did not say how much Turmeric. Right now i am taking 450 mg once a day. I wonder can i take it 2 times a day? Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

@plc123 

Have you read this thread in this forum: 

"DO YOU TAKE ANY ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENTS"? 

If not, you might check it out. Turmeric is mentioned many times. It is always best to get specific info like this from your prescribing doctor.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@plc123 

According to the many articles I've read about turmeric supps, approx 1500mg per day usually divided into two or three doses taken with food is recommended. That amount is for the curcuminoid component of turmeric and not just a total amount of turmeric powder. Curcuminoids are what gives us the anti-inflammatory and pain killing benefits. That is important to know when taking turmeric supps. Look for a turmeric with 100% curcuminoids + pepper. If you see 'root powder', 'blend' or 'proprietary blend' on the label beware of it's lack of containing adequate amounts of the good stuff.

Super Contributor

What i am taking says 95% curcuminoids

Honored Contributor

@plc123 wrote:

What i am taking says 95% curcuminoids

@plc123 

Yes, I understand. What that 95% means is that the supp contains a purified form curcuminoids which happens to be 95% pure. But how much of that 95% pure ingredient is in the entire capsule? Could you please tell me the name of your supp so I can see what is in it? That would be helpful so I can help you determine how much of it to take. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Do you cook with tumeric? Is has changed my tastes in food and my pain. Amazing how simple it is naturally. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

You might want to consider researching Lessman’s “Tumeric 400 Curcumin” and getting your doctor’s comments.

All I can attest to is that this product has given me amazing relief for my lower back issues.  It took a while to “kick in,” but this is one product I will never be without.  It may or may not work for everyone, but I personally wish I had discovered this a long time ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@plc123- Ask your doctor.  The supplement I was taking the dosage was once a day with water and food.

Some supplements call for three times a day with meals, not all.  Follow the directions on the bottle.  To increase the dosage, ask your doctor.

Honored Contributor

@plc123 @According to some studies, tumeric can cause liver damage at high levels. Other studies have shown it to have a protective effect on the liver. It has also been linked to gall stones and gallbladder disease. It can also increase bleeding, especially for those on blood thinners or other medications that increase the likelihood of bleeding or thin the blood.  I would do as the doctor advised and I might ask the pharmacist for input about your dosage to see what he or she thinks. I'll post a couple of the studies or reviews of multiple studies.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwigmPWW0ZfyAhVtQjABHZykD7EQ...

Honored Contributor

Sadly, most docs are not very familiar with most supplements. I trust a doc who is both an MD and a homeopathic one like Dr Andrew Weil, he is the best when it comes to supplements.