Respected Contributor

Turmeric w/BioPerine and CoQ10 questions

Question 1:  If I want to take CoQ10 at the same that I take Turmeric w/BioPerine, do I need to purchase the CoQ10 w/Bioperine or will the BioPerine in Turmeric be enough for both products?  With all the supplements that I've started taking, I want to make sure they're spaced correctly and taken with other supplements where there is no interaction.  I know that both should be taken with meals/fats.

Question 2:  Since Bioperine increases bioavailability, is it recommended to not take supplements with it at the same time as taking prescription meds?  I'd like to take the Turmeric three times a day as @SilleeMee recommends, but I need to take prescription meds with breakfast.

Question 3:  Still concerning Turmeric...If I can't take it three times a day (see Q2), it it okay to take a larger dose at my noon meal...1000mg for example and then 500mg at dinner or vice versa?  I've read and read and read online about dosages that would be "too much" at one time, but I can't find anything that says, for example, that 1000mg at one time will not be absorbed or cause problems, etc.

I have spent days reading info on these two supplements and have been unable to find definitive answers for these question.  I am hoping that some of you will know...  Thank you so much!

(PS...also went to drugs.com to do a check on supplement/drug interactions, and none are listed for CoQ10 and Tumeric or either one with prescriptions (that I take) but couldn't find any information on BioPerine.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Turmeric w/BioPerine and CoQ10 questions

Turmeric is a spice so I don’t see why you couldn’t double your dose at noon unless of course it upsets your stomach.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I learned about turmeric and it's benfits, dosage and actions form Dr. Weil's website. @Ainhisg I don't much about CoQ10 and it's action with pepper. But here's what Weil has to say about turmeric:

"The bottom line is that turmeric is good for you so find ways to include it in your diet. If you are a lover of Indian food like I am that should not be too difficult. I have long recommended drinking turmeric tea, a popular drink in Okinawa, and probably one of the reasons that lifespans are longer there than any other country. I frequently recommend turmeric supplements and believe them to be more effective than isolated curcumin for inflammatory disorders. Neither curcumin nor turmeric taken orally is well absorbed unless taken with black pepper or piperine, a constituent of black pepper responsible for its pungency. When shopping for supplements, make sure that the one you choose contains black pepper extract or piperine. (If you’re cooking with turmeric, be sure to add some black pepper to the food.). Note that piperine can slow the elimination of some prescription drugs including phenytoin [Dilantin], propranolol [Inderal], and theophylline. Be patient when taking turmeric supplements: the full benefits may not be apparent for eight weeks."

Turmeric is considered a spice, yes. But the way to get the best benefits from it to to ingest a standardized version of it. This form of turmeric is considered a supplement rather than a spice.

Honored Contributor

I take the capsule form with the pepper and I also take coq10 as well usually at the same time. I take 1- 100 mg of coq10 1x a day..Then I would take the turmeric with each meal. I have tried to use the powder/cooking version of the turmeric and it just too gritty for me. And I think you can get a better quality in a capsule and easier too. Also the powder form of turmeric can turn your teeth yellow--that happened to me---I also love to drink golden milk at night which has the powdered turmeric in it--many recipes online. Also I would start taking the turmeric once or twice a day to begin with just in case it messes with your tummy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The way I understand it is if you take Bioperine with Turmeric for better absorption thru the liver. Your liver is trying to get rid of it & the black pepper helps it to absorb.

If you take Turmeric with fat it bypasses the liver & works thru your bloodstream where you should get more benefit.

If you can take Turmeric about an hour before breakfast & it does not bother your stomach. Take it before eating than eat breakfast & take you prescription drugs.

I read if you are a diabetic don't take with diabetes medicatons.

Probably better to take the 500 mg 3x per day instead of taking a larger amount. You body has a hard time absorbing Turmeric since your liver is trying to get rid of it. I would just take it with fat so it can work thru your bloodstream.

Just read this about using BioPerine for long time use

Piperine works by slowing down hepatic and intestinal glucuronidation, which basically means that it delays elimination of different substances from the liver and gut. This in turns increases the bioavailability of curcumin since higher levels of curcumin get past the liver and stomach.

However, black pepper extract comes with potential side effects. Since it inhibits glucuronidation it also delays the elimination of toxins, other supplements and prescription drugs from the body. This raises the amounts of these substances in the blood to potentially unsafe levels and increases the risk of liver damage – especially if you are ingesting piperine for longer periods of time.

There are also other side effects that may come with the use of piperine. Some people who are sensitive to black pepper extract experience gastrointestinal irritation, pain, and nausea.

I don't use BioPerine so have not done any research on it but thought I would post what I just did read for those taking it. I would do some more research.

The article also has them info that I'm going to have to do some more research on.

In recent years, quite a few companies have addressed the problem with low bioavailability of turmeric and its extract, curcumin.  

Piperine was the so-called 1st generation bioavailability enhancer. Nowadays, there are several new, patented curcumin formulations available that work better at improving the bioavailability of curcumin – and they do this without the negative side effects of piperine.  

I need to research these as I have never heard of them or how they work. Looks like each is for different problems.

Enhanced curcumin formulations that are currently commercially available are:

• Meriva
  • Longvida
  • BCM95
  • Sabinsa C3 complex
  • Theracurmin
  • Curcuwin
  • UltraCur
  • Metacurmin
  • Cavacurmin

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  I take curcumin with bioprene, 1,600 at dinner as it should be taken with fat, never thought to take more than that, and have been taking it for ten years.

I also use Andrew Lessman's CoQ10 in the morning along with his vitamins, eye support, and glucosamine/chondroitin, and leg and vein support, calcium, curcumin, digest assure, and aspirin with dinner.  It is best to take any supplement or med with food in the stomach.  I take a bite of food, chew it, then pop a pill or two in just before I swallow, easier, also, for those who have difficulty taking pills, hardly know they are sliding down when there is food with them.

Bioprene is just a black pepper extract,  so I wouldn't think it would interact with anything, but one can research this.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  I added some more info to my post if you want to read it. Hope it helps.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Ainhisg  I added some more info to my post if you want to read it. Hope it helps.

Yes, it does; thank you so much!  Consumer Labs gives recommendations for supplements containing those enhancers, so I will see what they recommend.  I will try a CoQ10 w/o the BioPerine since I'm going to take the two together.

Valued Contributor

Tumeric is a spice that can thin your blood. Ask your doctor. It  can even out blood sugar and lower cholesterol . Its a good thing , Are you on blood thinners ? Check with your doctor.

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

Co Q10 can also thin your blood.