Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to drink more water....

I buy decaffeinated instant Lipton tea...a very small amount in ice water with some lemon makes it much easier to drink more. I also brew real tea and drink that earlier in the day. I can’t drink anything late or take any to bed with me or I would be up and down all night running to the bathroom! In the awful heat this summer, it is more important than ever to stay hydrated...and to also make sure your kids are as well.
Esteemed Contributor

80 oz a day is my usual.  It just feels better and you miss it if you skimp.

Twice last year I had do those 24 hour urine tests and they asked if I needed two jars.  That humbles you.

Occasional Contributor

Water is one of the best gifts of nature. Everything that has breath needs water and in the right quantity and quality. Sometimes, we say that the only liquid that has no overdose measures is water. Trust me, you have never heard or rarely been told someone is sick because of drinking too much water. What you would hear at best is that such a person is I'll due to lack of water.

Honored Contributor

My brother had to deal with kidney stones a few years ago...have never seen anyone in so much pain...It was a stark reminder to drink more water.
Valued Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@LilacTree  from what I have read you can over do it. It is rare ,but ,it can be dangerous

Yes,  my doctor asked how much water I was drinking.  She said my sodium level was off in my lab results.  Yes, I was drinking too much so I cut back some. 

Honored Contributor

The color of your urine is really a very good indicator of your hydration level.  If it's really dark, you need more hydration.  If it's almost clear, you are overhydrated, which isn't good for you either.  It should be a pale yellow.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The color of your urine is really a very good indicator of your hydration level.  If it's really dark, you need more hydration.  If it's almost clear, you are overhydrated, which isn't good for you either.  It should be a pale yellow.  

@Lipstickdiva    but if you are taking supplements like b complex that colors your urine very dark yellow... so the color of your urine is not always a indictor of hydration.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva    but if you are taking supplements like b complex that colors your urine very dark yellow... so the color of your urine is not always a indictor of hydration.

@SeaMaidenobviously you have to take that into consideration. That is just a general rule of thumb but meds can alter urine as well.  I take an Andrew Lessman one a day vitamin and it makes mine a very bright yellow.   

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I've been making kidney stones for over 40 years. I've tried everything and the only thing that works for me in re to drinking 8-10 glasses a day, is drinking room temp water. I fill either my S'well bottle several times a day or refill a glass mason jar a few times. Always room temp. For me, if it's room temp I can drink more and faster if I need to catch up at the end of the day. As someone else mentioned, if I get up in the middle of the night, I always have a glass on my end table and I take a few large chugs. Surprisingly, I go back to sleep. I also drink other things during the day, so it all counts. It takes getting used to but you can do it. One can do anything if one puts their mind to it!

Trial and error.  Good Luck. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.