Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trying to drink more water....

Never understood the negative to water.  Love water - my Brita gets filled twice a day.  Helps those wrinkles - girls!

Esteemed Contributor

It does get easier.

Tea is good; it contains antioxidants.

I start every morning with at least 16 oz. of room temp water. Our bodies/ internal organs lose hydration during the night. Important to fill up on water as early in the day as possible.

Try adding cucumber to water as well as lemon. Less $.

Honored Contributor

You don't have to drink eight 8oz of water each day.  You can fulfil your obligation by drinking tea, coffee or other flavored drinks.  Also fruits and Veggies contain water.

You should just be sure you are hydrated.  If your urine is dark yellow or brownduring the day time, you need to step up your fluid intake.  Urine throughout the day should be almost colorless.  It can be darker first thing in the morning.

Esteemed Contributor

Even though I filter tap water I prefer flavored bottled water. The cheapest and not as sweet I found at Aldi’s and comes in mixed bottles.

I only drink coffee in the morning but drink far less cokes, etc. My granddaughters love it too and it’s better for them. 

Respected Contributor

H20 is my fav drink!!! Love water!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nbo wrote:

Maybe you can add lemon or other fruits. I force myself after getting kidney stones. I still hate it.

I've had my sad share of kidney stones too, @Nbo .

I last passed some stone fragments last year, and that was still too soon enough for me! Ouch!!

I try to drink as much as I can.

I will drink plain water, and I like to drink it cool or cold. I also like to drink what I think are called "fruit-flavored water beverages."

Those are the ones that are water-based but have fruity flavors.

I'll also drink the sugar-free drinks like Crystal Light and the store brands that are similar. 

I'll do whatever I can do to stay hydrated to avoid stones again.

Respected Contributor

I used to drink 3-5 bottles of root beer a day.  When I was tested and found I had a slight problem with my kidneys the doctor said I needed to drink more water, less root beer.  I was scared enough to stop, cold turkey, on the root beer and go with water.  I have a Zero water filter and a Brita.  I drink water constantly and take it with me at all times wherever I go.  Filtered water tastes much better than right out of the tap.  I also drink iced tea which is also a good alternative.  Kidneys are fine now.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

SeaMaiden,

I will tell you what works for me.  Like you, I have been trying to drink more water.  And I like water, so that's not the issue.  My issue is that I sit all day at work, but so busy typing I forget to drink.

I had bought several Swell water bottles thinking that would work.  Not much.  So last month I bought a 32oz mason jar, for $4.  But the key for me to drink the water, was when I added a STRAW.  I watch a lot of youtube channels, where everyone is drinking mason jars of water through a metal straw.  Ordered those straws on Amazon for $4.  In the morning I fill it up with warm water and add the juice of 1/2 lemon.  When I finish that, I will refill 2x at work, with cold water.  I am lucky that work provides a standalone water filtration system where one side is cold water, and the other side is hot water.

I was amazed at how much faster I drink the water when using a straw vs just the Swell bottle.  I still use the bottle when I go to the gym.

If interested in the metal straws, as there are a zillion on Amazon, I ended up choosing these:

Antonki Reusable Straws, 8 Pack Stainless Steel Straws 10.5 Inch Ultra Long Rustproof Metal Drinking Straws with 3 Pack Long Cleaning Brush & Pouch for 30 OZ Tall Tumblers Cold Beverage

Honored Contributor

I read about people who never drink water and I cannot wrap my head around it.  It's a great way to give yourself kidney stones.  I drink a lot more than 64oz of water a day.  Spring water, I don't care for tap water but I'll drink if I don't have spring water.  Yes, drinking water is like everything else we do to be healthy.  It's gets easier over time and eventually, it becomes a habit.  Just take it easy and don't put pressure on yourself.  If you can do 3 glasses a day; so that for couple of weeks and then add another and a few weeks add another until you are getting the 64 oz a day in.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For some reason, the straws really help.  We like the glass as well as the metal and you can see that they are clean.