Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to diet --- key word "trying"

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 

I wish we could talk over a cup of tea.  I realized after reading your post that you are still mourning your husband's passing.  It must be such a challenge knowing from reading your posts that you had a very close, loving relationship.  If that treadmill brings up a lot of emotional response, you might just want to forget it for now.  It is not the exercise (although a healthy component) that will drop the weight....it's the food.

You have mentioned that you love sweets.  Doug Lisle talks about the Pleasure Trap and he has written a book by that title.  He also has You Tube videos on it.  Cravings are physiological - there are reasons.  Another person you might want to check out is Chef AJ. She has lots of free You Tube videos that provides you with the solution.  You would enjoy her....she loves comedy.  I attended a workshop at her home and you would have really enjoyed the presentation.  She was a pastry chef - 50 pounds overweight and struggling....no longer.  

You can do this.  You can gain all the information needed and understand why you are struggling with this issue.  The solution is simple, but the information is imperative.  Wishing you the best @Annabellethecat66  The answers are there and you can be successful!

Esteemed Contributor

Of course, totally agree, it's the food, @phoenixbrd .  Then the right fuel maximizes the movement.  That's the "sweet spot".

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 

I wish we could talk over a cup of tea.  I realized after reading your post that you are still mourning your husband's passing.  It must be such a challenge knowing from reading your posts that you had a very close, loving relationship.  If that treadmill brings up a lot of emotional response, you might just want to forget it for now.  It is not the exercise (although a healthy component) that will drop the weight....it's the food.

You have mentioned that you love sweets.  Doug Lyle talks about the Pleasure Trap and he has written a book by that title.  He also has You Tube videos on it.  Cravings are physiological - there are reasons.  Another person you might want to check out is Chef AJ. She has lots of free You Tube videos that provides you with the solution.  You would enjoy her....she loves comedy.  I attended a workshop at her home and you would have really enjoyed the presentation.  She was a pastry chef - 50 pounds overweight and struggling....no longer.  

You can do this.  You can gain all the information needed and understand why you are struggling with this issue.  The solution is simple, but the information is imperative.  Wishing you the best @Annabellethecat66  The answers are there and you can be successful!

Here we go.

The Pleasure Trap by Doug Lisle, PhD

One doesn’t need to purchase the book....everything is online.

YouTube has TONS of Doug Lisle lectures...I counted & stopped at 50.

Many, many more. 

Just search ‘Doug Lisle’ in the search bar....hours & hours of knowledge!

A6F274E0-8348-4D56-A947-7463211EC979.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Constant state of "fight or flight", what happens.  At odds with a then sedentary lifestyle in the worst possible way.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

Try something you’ve never done before!

1.  Focus on calorie density, eating 100-600/lb foods.

2.  Track 30-50 grams of fiber/day

3.  Track up to 25 grams of fat/day

Fact: Humans Eat 3-5 pounds of food a day.

The lower the calorie density, the more food you can have,

the more fiber you’re getting and the less fat you need.

Try it!

9860A356-5979-4D08-96AE-2B1E80B17AC5.jpeg

@sidsmom  Eat 600 POUND foods😂. ?  Did you mean calorie?  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer @Fixed it!

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I think the most important thing is not to panic and understand how you lost the weight to begin with. People plateau. It's not a big deal. Think about how you lost the weight to begin with and do that again.  It might take a couple of weeks or a month to get back in the groove, but just trust that you will.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd Please go over to the Widows Thread.  I felt it was appropriate that I respond to you there since you brought up the fact that I was a widow.

Please understand I'm not "busting" on you over there.  

I just felt that the appropriate place to respond to you (i.e. my relationship with food versus being a widow) has very little to do with one another....at least in my case.

I won't go further into it here, please go over there so I can explain how (like I said, in my case) my weight problem has very little to do with being a widow.

I know your heart and response is coming from a good place but I beg to differ one thing has nothing to do with the other (again and again "in my case").

Thanks ahead of time for understanding that my heart is also in the right place in doing my best to respond to you.

Oh!  I almost forgot.  I only drink hot tea in the Winter months, but if you'd like to sit down with ice water (which I drink tons of) I'd be happy to explain myself to you.

If you've read any or many of my posts you'd understand that I am (like everyone else here) a complicated human.  There's no simple answer to anything in life.

I often wonder what it is about us humans.  That our psyche always pushes us to psychoanalyze each other.  

I'm no different.  I'm constantly looking for answers to questions my friends put forth.  They often ask me what I think.  

I answer as in "bla bla" knowing full-well either they aren't listening or they'll never take my advice.  

How would I know this?  Well....duh?  I'm the same way.  Most of us are the same way....right?

I almost forgot to mention that complicating this entire scenario is the fact that a few years back I had a hysterectomy AND I also had my thyroid removed.

Both of those make it a little more difficult to control one's weight.  Not impossible by any means, but a little more difficult....

Like I said, "No easy answer".

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I’d like to butt in here with one suggestion and that’s to try a recumbent exercise bicycle, instead of the treadmill.  I think it would be easier on your back and you could put it where one of your TVs is.

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I think the most important thing is not to panic and understand how you lost the weight to begin with. People plateau. It's not a big deal. Think about how you lost the weight to begin with and do that again.  It might take a couple of weeks or a month to get back in the groove, but just trust that you will.

@ILTH 

Yes, thank you!  I didn't gain it overnight and I need to be patient and know that I will not lose it overnight!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin