Respected Contributor

Re: Trying to Calm my Virus Fears

@AuntG You make a good point - no, I do not feel this panicked with the regular " run of the mill" flu.  Although I do seem to catch everything going around every flu season, never with results so serious that I require hospitalization.  I have succumbed a bit to all of the nervous that is everywhere.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 I'd never want to minimize your concerns. A TV doctor said what we (as a country) do in the next 10 days will determine the outcome for many individuals.  My state has three cases, but you are in a much more populated area so I totally feel for you. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

everything is selve serve here so we don't have that option of going to a gas station that is not self serve. but I do keep hand sanitizer in the car for that very reason.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PhilaLady1  I commute too.  The subway is disgusting here (DC Metro).   What about wearing gloves for your commute?  I've seen some do that here.  I am sorry for how stressed you are, I get it.  I keep hearing and reading how we should stay home; but many cannot.

o/t - this is not the flu.  IMO we don't know what we don't know about COVID-19 yet.  It is a pandemic. I think it is smart to be concerned - that instinct will ultimately (hopefully) protect us.

Honored Contributor

I have to go get my driver's license renewed soon and I am turning 65 in a few months so I have to go to the SSA building to sign up for Medicare (can't do it online, don't ask). Both of these places in my city are extremely crowded. If you think I'm concerned...I AM.Smiley Indifferent

Respected Contributor

My gas station supplies disposable mitts for gassing up.  Maybe keep disposable gloves in the car?

Respected Contributor

i have Lysol wipes on the floor in my back seat - and keep several in a plastic bag in my pocketbook to pull out.  

Respected Contributor

pan·dem·ic
  adjective

1. (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.

the word sounds worse than it is!
Respected Contributor

OP I know how you feel.  I live in the containment zone in New Rochelle.  Was having little mini panic attacks while home watching the news yesterday. Feeling real fear of eventually being quarantined, missing work, being trapped without all the supplies I need.  And of course catching the virus.  People in my buliding have been breaking self quarantine.  It's all just crazy and now the national guard is coming.  I will have a glass of wine when I get home today for sure!  Be calm, and stay safe.  I wish you the best.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, everyone!  Your kind words and thoughts are a source of needed emotional strength !