Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trying to Calm my Virus Fears

I definitely can relate,  I too commute to work via subway here in NYC, the thought of driving at this point is not feasible for me with the traffic, and lack of parking in lower Manhattan.  As a manager I can work from home and have done so during inclement weather but there are some things that I have to come to the office to do.  My brain wheels are turning more than ever as I meet and figure out a game plan with my staff so that everyone is safe and calm.   I can't rely on upper management because there is no solid direction or action being taken.  My office has high employee traffic so we are constantly wiping or spraying.

I started leaving very early in the morning when the trains are not crowded they are pretty empty in fact which feels very strange.  I was never one to get on a crowded train anyway I would just wait as long as necessary for a train that was not crowded..  Besides the sanitizer I also carry alcohol wipes and now wear gloves.  I also keep informed but do not get caught up in watching or reading the reports constantly.

I pray and believe that this too shall pass and I have no control of this.  Hang in there.

Valued Contributor

1 hour wait to get in stop and shop this morning.once you got in no food or paper goods.

jury duty and all court cases cancelled in new york.speaking to top medical doctors I know our lives will be changed for quite a long time if we survive this.if new york shuts down the subways we are doomed.

Valued Contributor

I am a road warrior with usually 200 plus flights per year. I can home Wednesday and that was my 45th flight this year. Since January, I’ve crossed the US several times, in all major airports, including three in CA, ATL and LaGuardia many times. I’ve been in hotels and many restaurants. Even years prior this virus, I Clorox wipe the plane and rental car. Listening to the news, I likely should have the virus. I do not. 🤞😊. The media continues to make this worse. In no way am I minimizing it, at all. But I appreciate Garden Man’s perspective. He is spot on. The industry I work in has been devastated in the last two weeks. I pray this goes away quickly and that we get back to life as usual.
Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1  In case you're following this thread, I thought I'd check in with you. Your last post was a week ago and things have gotten more worrisome since. How are things going?  Hoping for the best for you.  

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch 

Thanks so much for your asking, and thanks to everyone else too.  There are so many nice people here.  My number of posts are small compared to the number of years I have been a member - since the beginning of the original forum years ago.  So you may not know me, but when I see all of your nics, many of you long-time board participants, I feel a closeness.

Anyway, I finally got permission to work from home !  YAY!

Which is what I am ***supposed** to be doing now : )

Take care and stay safe !

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 I am THRILLED you'll be working from home!!

Esteemed Contributor

@PhilaLady1, I am glad you will be working from home too!

Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1 Yayyyyyy!  I'm so happy to get this news. I was so hoping this would happen for you. Now, don't work too hard Woman Wink, and stay safe, too.  

Super Contributor

Can you wear a mask atleast ?  Are there any other ways for transportation ?  Perhaps a carpool (with less people atleast)   /    Uber ?    Just a thought.   I am so very sorry to hear about your situation.   that is a toughie.   For sure.   Best of luck to you and please stay safe.

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

I am doing everything we are supposed to do, like hand washing, not touching my face, etc.  I am almost 62, my immune system is weaker than it used to be when I was a younger person, but I am otherwise in general good health.  The reason I am kind of freaking out, and then trying to calm myself, and this happens in constant cycles of high level anxiousness to forcing my self to relax, is that I work full time.  In fact, as soon as I'm done typing this, I need to get back to work so I apologize if you reply back with any comments and I do not respond, at least not right away.

Here is my issue - I MUST work.  I do not have a choice to stay at home. To get to work, I take 2 forms of crowded big city public transportation, bus & elevated train/subway combo.  Total time 2 hours a day, five days a week, sitting thigh to thigh with someone and people standing all around me, sometimes really jammed together. Can't work from home.  All I can do is try not to get to panic level, and do not touch anything, and force mysef to realize that I can not do anything about this so what will be, will be - it is out of my hands.  Thanks for hearing me out on this. I feel better just by writing this out and telling you.

Esteemed Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:
I am a road warrior with usually 200 plus flights per year. I can home Wednesday and that was my 45th flight this year. Since January, I’ve crossed the US several times, in all major airports, including three in CA, ATL and LaGuardia many times. I’ve been in hotels and many restaurants. Even years prior this virus, I Clorox wipe the plane and rental car. Listening to the news, I likely should have the virus. I do not. 🤞😊. The media continues to make this worse. In no way am I minimizing it, at all. But I appreciate Garden Man’s perspective. He is spot on. The industry I work in has been devastated in the last two weeks. I pray this goes away quickly and that we get back to life as usual.

I think some businesses will find ways to keep going, i.e. restaurants that are getting creative and doing curbside service.  Groceries can also do that if they make the effort.  If the curve flattens in the next 2-3 weeks, I think we can start to see some businesses reopen, slowly at first to see if the rise in cases goes back up.  Some businesses might have to do more as far as limiting customers per day, but I think it is doable.