Trusted Contributor

Re: Trying to Avoid Total Knee Replacement

I have had both knees replaced,with no problems.every person has different experience when having it done.Trust youself that it will be good.It is not easy,but it can be done.

Frequent Contributor

I am 78 and had a total hip replacement done 4 years ago Also 4 years ago I had a total knee and then 6 months later another knee. the best thing I ever did. I was healthy enough to have this done and had excellent PT after. I would be in a wheelchair right now if I had not had this done. I am very active, go to the gym and walk several time during the week. Every case is different and everyone heals differently. I was bone on bone with the hip and it was causing problems with the knee.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/31/2014 Fortune said:

I live in a three-story house, don't have anyone to take care of me, and am too old for major surgery.

My dear, if you're "too old for major surgery", have bad knees, and live in a three-story house, it's time to do some serious planning for your future! Do you really think you'll be able to go up and down those stairs forever? Do you really think you can make worn-out knees continue to function forever?

I'd suggest you look into one-story living and talk with a good orthopedic surgeon about your options for knee surgery. I'm in my mid 60's and have had both knees replaced in the past couple of years. Not easy, but one of the best things I've ever done for myself. If you need assistance during post-surgery rehab, your doctor can send you to an inpatient rehab center for a couple of weeks so you'll have help while you recover.

Trusted Contributor

My friend needs knee surgery so badly, but she has been suffering from a bladder infection that won't seem to clear up. They won't do surgery on her knee as long as she still has the infection. The poor woman has been on every antibiotic known to man with "supposedly" no results. I say supposedly because I worry that the urine tests are not accurate or she's not being tested properly.

It's a darn shame that people have to live with such pain with all the technology that is out there.

As long as doctors can keep getting richer and make patients jump through all kinds of hoops to get relief, things will never change.

I'll also look into the laser procedures you are describing.

Trusted Contributor

FYI...

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/sitios/rehabilitacion-fis/laser_y_osteoartritis.pdf

Doesn't look like laser therapy is all that successful.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your frank and thoughtful replys!!! There sure is a lot to consider. I'm going to my orthopedic doctor Tuesday and will have her take more X-rays. Then, I'll get another opinion as well--from a sports medicine physician if possible.

Honored Contributor

On 11/1/2014 Fortune said:

Thank you all for your frank and thoughtful replys!!! There sure is a lot to consider. I'm going to my orthopedic doctor Tuesday and will have her take more X-rays. Then, I'll get another opinion as well--from a sports medicine physician if possible.

Fortune,

I suggest if this doctor has not ordered an MRI yet that you ask her to do so. X-rays are very limited when it comes to diagnosis of knee pain. Most reputable Orthopaedic surgeons order an MRI for a majority of their patients that have severe knee pain.

Best wishes to you with this issue.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 11/1/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

My friend needs knee surgery so badly, but she has been suffering from a bladder infection that won't seem to clear up. They won't do surgery on her knee as long as she still has the infection. The poor woman has been on every antibiotic known to man with "supposedly" no results. I say supposedly because I worry that the urine tests are not accurate or she's not being tested properly.

It's a darn shame that people have to live with such pain with all the technology that is out there.

As long as doctors can keep getting richer and make patients jump through all kinds of hoops to get relief, things will never change.

Doctors keep getting richer?

Respected Contributor

Had a total left knee replacement in 2011 and total right knee replacement in 2012 and haven't looked back since!! It was, by far, the best decision I ever made. One thing I will say... do your homework and research regarding the orthopedist you choose. I chose to go to a leading hospital (Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC) in knee replacement and the doctor I chose was the head surgeon of knee replacement. You must feel confident with your surgeon. Long gone are the days of constant pain. For me, living life to the fullest is what life is all about.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

On 11/1/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

They can't operate on someone who has an infection because the bacteria will colonize on her replacements and she will really be in big trouble. No one is making her"jump through hoops" they are doing exactly the right and proper thing for her.

Why do people think they know better than the surgeon who has had 8 years of college and 3 to 5 years of internship and residency? Geeze!