Honored Contributor

Re: Truvia or Stevia, which is better in your opinion, and why?

I refuse to buy, eat or drink anything that has a sugar substitute in it, natural or otherwise.

If they don't leave an aftertaste then they're too sweet.

I would go without any kind of sweetener if I had to give up real sugar.

Honored Contributor

I cannot use Truvia due to sugar alcohols and Stevia I disliked the bitter aftertaste. I use Splenda maybe 2 or 3 times a month to sweeten something like plain yogurt but I am not a fan of most artificial sweetners.

Contributor

Neither. You need to try Swerve. It has sugar alcohol - erythritol. No bad aftertaste. Does not impact your blood sugar level.

Honored Contributor

I use Sweet Life stevia. I have the packets and drops that I use mostly in my hot drinks. This brand has many flavors of the drops--I like the vanilla. I buy it on AMZ---a little pricy for the drops but the powder is not. Just a little does the job for me. Don't bake with it---not good for that on its own. 

Honored Contributor

We also use Zing.

Esteemed Contributor

@hockingrdzoowrote:

Neither. You need to try Swerve. It has sugar alcohol - erythritol. No bad aftertaste. Does not impact your blood sugar level.

@hockingrdzooFrom the Diabetes Assn website: Foods containing these sugar alcohols need to have their calorie and carbohydrate contents accounted for in your overall meal plan, as it is carbohydrate that raises blood glucose levels. If people overeat "sugar free" or "no sugar added" foods, their blood glucose may be significantly elevated.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

I cannot use Truvia due to sugar alcohols and Stevia I disliked the bitter aftertaste. I use Splenda maybe 2 or 3 times a month to sweeten something like plain yogurt but I am not a fan of most artificial sweetners.

@Trinity11there are many brands of Stevia. I read reviews on Amazon and tried a few choices that specifically mentioned 'no after taste'. Stevita is terrific - also Stevia Select! They're very pure also - no silica, or 'ose' or 'itol' added ingredients.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbellewrote:

We also use Zing.

@ShelbelleI never saw this before and looked it up. A good plan B, for baking especially. A blend of stevia and pure cane sugar!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  if you have stomach problems read this

Because of its low calorie content, stevia is often used as a natural sugar substitute for those who are looking to lose weight. According to the New Health Guide, however, consuming highly refined stevia can lead to feelings of nausea and a misleading sensation of fullness in some people. Stevia contains steviosides, which may irritate your stomach and cause other problems for the digestive system, including, bloating and a decreased appetite. If you experience these symptoms only mildly, stop taking stevia, and speak with a doctor if the symptoms do not stop shortly.

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@Trinity11  if you have stomach problems read this

Because of its low calorie content, stevia is often used as a natural sugar substitute for those who are looking to lose weight. According to the New Health Guide, however, consuming highly refined stevia can lead to feelings of nausea and a misleading sensation of fullness in some people. Stevia contains steviosides, which may irritate your stomach and cause other problems for the digestive system, including, bloating and a decreased appetite. If you experience these symptoms only mildly, stop taking stevia, and speak with a doctor if the symptoms do not stop shortly.

Yes @cherry...exactly!! I could never use stevia. I do have a lot of stomach issues from Plavix and stevia only adds to them. Splenda has never bothered me.