Respected Contributor

Re: True? a Dermatologist cannot bill a Routine Diagnosis?

@LTT1 wrote:

@CatsyCline

Im getting EOB statements from the ins that say "you MAY owe $20.00" for both my annual PCP and GYN.

i bet I will have to pay and a year later find out I have a refund. Not cool

i was billed $10.00 for a pap by my obgyn. it was a routine annual gyn visit  i had to make a bunch of calls to the lab, my doctor's office and my ins.co.   i did not pay it until the review was completed.  the charge was an error.

i was just billed $15.00 for a mammogram i had in early march!!  i did not receive a bill or statement until 2 weeks ago.    it was a follow-up, two image mammo, not a routine dx

i was told by the billing agent, the diagnostic facility and my ins. company had bounced that charge back and forth for 6 months without advising me .  i think what happened is they figure out a way to re-code it after Oct 1 when the ICD-10 went into effect.

i never pay any medical bill until i have a full explanation of the charges. i have never received a refund for overpayment!

Honored Contributor

Did you ever have skin cancer?  If you did, the dermatologist should bill the routine exam diagnosis along with the history of skin cancer diagnosis.   And then. Your insurer would cover it.  If you never had skin cancer, a yearly screening exam is indeed not covered by most, if not all insurers.  Docs get audited, they have to Bill correctly and honesty; they cannot bill to ensure payment.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My insurance covers it.  I established that immediately.

I tell people all day long, their provider cannot bill what will be covered, they have to bill what they do.  I have to tell the provider office that too, because they say, what code would be covered?  can you say insurance fraud?  I hope they get caught!

I asked for a routine skin exam, that's all.  That's what I expected to be billed. 

No skin cancer ever.