Super Contributor

Anyone having trouble taking Metformin?  Feel like I have the flu. I don't have

time to be this sick everyday....

Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you need to call your doctor and tell them the way you are feeling. I would suggest you go on line and find out  what other people taking this go through.  Medical website for diabetics who take the same meds experience.

Good Luck to you and I hope that you get your health in balance soon.

Respected Contributor

Hi, I've been taking Metformin 500mg strength for three months, felt sick for the first two!  It didn't feel like the flu though.  I really needed to give this med a chance because of the alternative...I had horrible nausea, and intestinal issues, running to bthrm umpteen times a day.  Besides feeling horrible, I didn't have the energy to leave the house, not did I want to.  Week #1 took 1 pill, 

Week #2 took 2 pills/day

Week #3 took 2 pills/2x's day...2000 mgs daily to date

Nausea has settled down as well as intestinal tract, I do have acid reflux and think it might be a bit worse.  I take Nexium for that and it helps a lot, plus not eating anything savory after 7p.  If you find it impossible to stay on it (I would try though), then give your dr.s ofc

a call and see what he/she says.

Valued Contributor

Re: Trouble with Metformin

[ Edited ]

I take Actos+Metformin (combined). I guess I'm lucky. I've never had any problem. Been taking it quite awhile.    Hope your problems are resolved.

Super Contributor

If you aren't on the extended release version, then ask your doctor about changing to that. And start at the lowest dose and work up to where it needs to be.  Taking it with food helps. Good luck 

Honored Contributor

I also take the lowest dose of the extended release and I haven't had any stomach issues at all.

Respected Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

If you aren't on the extended release version, then ask your doctor about changing to that. And start at the lowest dose and work up to where it needs to be.  Taking it with food helps. Good luc@Anita Hug

@Anita Hug ~ @151949 ~ I need to ask my nurse practitioner about the extended release Metformin.  I'm sure it would be a lot gentler in the system...most likely higher in cost though:/  May I ask what your daily dosage is?

Respected Contributor

I had a hard time when it was diagnosed. I felt like I had morning sickness all day. Even extended release didn't help. My doctor gave me something that as half metformin and half (?). After two weeks on it I was able to take the ER Metformin ! I will try to remember what it was called.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Anita Hug wrote:

If you aren't on the extended release version, then ask your doctor about changing to that. And start at the lowest dose and work up to where it needs to be.  Taking it with food helps. Good luc@Anita Hug

@Anita Hug ~ @151949 ~ I need to ask my nurse practitioner about the extended release Metformin.  I'm sure it would be a lot gentler in the system...most likely higher in cost though:/  May I ask what your daily dosage is?

Mine is the lowest dose - 500 mg. And the tablets are huge and hard to swallow. My doctor said that keeps many people from being able to take the ER - the size of the pill.But I gulp them down with a huge swallow of coffee every AM.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Anita Hug wrote:

Mine is the lowest dose - 500 mg. And the tablets are huge and hard to swallow. My doctor said that keeps many people from being able to take the ER - the size of the pill.But I gulp them down with a huge swallow of coffee every AM.

@151949 ~ I'm taking 2000mg a day...the max dose.