Honored Contributor

Trouble filling prescriptions?

Is anyone feeling that your Pharmacist is having trouble filling your prescriptions?

About 3 weeks ago I had a kidney stone. It took 4 days to pass. The Doctor prescribed a pain killer. My local pharmacist said he wasn't able to fill the prescription. He had ordered the drug for more than 2 weeks and he was unable to get the drug. He said the Doctor had to prescribe another drug.

I also get several drugs filled on a regular basis. One drug was due to be refilled. The Drug Store website has said the prescription has been "in process" for a few days. I thought maybe the pharmacist forgot to move the prescription to "filled". Went to the drug store today. They said they had not filled the prescription.

There is no trouble with the prescription. It has another 2 refills. I am going back to the pharmacy tomorrow and ask when they think they will be able to fill the prescription.

I never ran across not being able to get prescriptions before. Anyone else having trouble? Or is it just me?

Honored Contributor

Re: Trouble filling prescriptions?

I've come across that in the last couple months.

Honored Contributor

I get my prescriptions from a mail order pharmacy.  They come like clockwork.  In fact, I've got way more than I need.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Have not had any issues nor have I heard from relatives they were having issues. Would be worrisome to run out of needed prescription. Hope your issue is resolved quickly. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

i dont receive anything by prescription, but my mother receives a number of prescriptions and they all on auto refill except for antibiotics/painkillers. no issues for her at all and they are delivered to her front door from a small local mom and pop pharmacy monthly.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My DH is on 2 controlled substances for chronic pain and every month when he gets them renewed its always down to the wire, or a day or two beyond, in the pharmacy refilling them.

Trusted Contributor

The Walgreens pharmacy where I fill my prescriptions could not refill my last 90-day supply of Levemir, the type of insulin I must inject twice a day. I went to renew early in January and they needed more than a month to get it!  But I only had a week's supply by the time they found out it was unavailable from their distribution center.  That hasn't occurred ever before. It was seriously upsetting. 

The pharmacist who was trying hard to help me called every Walgreens in a wide radius and she managed to put together fulfillment of enough to get me well past their estimated re-stocking date. I was very lucky. That date has come and gone and Levemir is still only just expected next week at that Walgreens location and supplies everywhere have dwindled!  I do have enough now because of the scrounging and scrambling my pharmacist did to get my fulfillment. I'll have to reorder more in about a month and I hope it's a lot easier. 

It's only conjecture, but I wonder if the shortage is related to the new law, in effect as of January 1, that prices all insulin at a flat rate of $35 per one-month supply for people on Medicare. Now that it's much more affordable, suddenly supply is skimpy. Now that profits are down for selling insulin to seniors, it's much harder to find from the manufacturers. in spite of unchanged demand. So are they making and shipping less since it's much less profitable?

Very disappointing to be concerned about a necessary medication becoming scarce just when the cost finally became affordable and fixed by law. 

Honored Contributor

So far no problems.  All of mine are generics.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There has been a shortage of some drugs in certain amounts or combinations for the past three years. 

There is definitely a shortage of pharmacists and pharmacy workers that has resulted in hours shortened to one shift, drive throughs closed, and entire departments closed resulting in the need to transfer to other locations.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla 

I have a pretty long list of prescriptions. All but 1 of them are via Mail Order. I have never had a problem filling any of them. 

None of them are narcotics or opioids, so I can't attest to their availability. 

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)