Respected Contributor

Re: Trigger finger, anyone???

@DeeDT, OMG, how awful! I am so sorry. I wish you all the best with your surgery. Falling is so bad.....and it happens in the blink of an eye!

Take good care and I hope you sail through the procedures and heal really, really well.

pup 

Trusted Contributor

I had trigger thumb twice...once in each thumb.  Mine was caused by picking up my grandson a lot.....I watched him for his first two years, several days a week. 

I wore a special hand brace and went to physical therapy both times.  Healed in a few months.  Also developed tenosynovits in my wrists.  Hand Doctor insisted that I would need surgery, but PT worked for that also. 

Some physical therapists are more skilled with treating hand issues, so try to find one that is.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had trigger finger on my left thumb. I am quite sure it was from gripping my tablet. I bought a pyarmid made for e readers and now lay my tablet on it. My trigger thumb has gone away, and it was painful. My thumb also clicked, and was worse in the mornings. I had this same problem with another finger, and I relate all of it to computer use. You should consider stopping the activity that you are doing to cause it. My finger and thumb both healed when I stopped gripping my tablet. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DeeDT wrote:

I fell on some wet ceramic tile and broke my wrist in four places, my head hit the floor hard and I was knocked out, my shoulder was also dislocated.  I am 56 years old and can tell you this little slip and fall has been an nightmare for me.  When I regained consciousness, I knew right away something serious had happened.  My husband was at work, so I called my son who is a police officer and he met the ambulance at the house.  Long story short at the ER they put my shoulder back into place which was very painful.  I was sent home with pain meds and saw the Orthopedic Sugeron the next morning.  He said I had two choices I could do surgery right away or go through a series of waiting, watching, and multiple casts on and off waiting to see if the bone would stabilize.  I choose to do the casting, each week for 12 weeks I would go to see the doctor, get my cast cut off, then an X-ray to check the stability of the bones, and then recasted. At the twelve week point, I was put into a wrist brace for three more weeks. At the one month check up after the brace came off I ended up with severe carpal tunnel, a pinkie trigger finger, and nerve damage to my thumb.  I go into surgery to repair all three issues in a week.  Wish me luck.  This really has been an experience.

@DeeDT   I am so sorry you have had to play "the waiting game".    I had something similar......a leg with 24 breaks.    It took the doctor 3 weeks to decide on surgery.   You will be so happy when this ordeal is over and you can fully recover.   Best of luck. di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

OP here. Just wanted to pop back in and thank EVERYONE who responded to my question. I've read and reread the replies today. Yesterday I tried somewhat to stay off the computer and give my thumb a rest. I made a joke of it originally, but I really do think my problem stems from surfing the Internet constantly, and flipping the channels on my TV remote repeatedly. Sad, but true. Turning 60, and inheriting osteoarthritis from my father doesn't help the score either!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I'm encouraged to know that many have eventually had this issue resolve itself. And surgery has been successful for some, too.

Sincerely,

pup

Frequent Contributor

I Had it _ I tried Aleve and resting it for 6 weeks. Finally went to the doctor and got a cortisone shot. It was much better within 3 days and all better within a month.