Honored Contributor

Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia, the suicide disease...your experience

I'm so sorry. I have heard of this but didn't know much about it. I pray you feel better.

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 tends2dogs said:

Namealreadytaken,

"When my husband asked her what was wrong, at first she said nothing, but eventually she admitted that she has TN. Her symptoms began after having dental work done. I think it was a root canal. Anyway, she is taking medication, I believe Gabapentin. Obviously, eating/chewing is a pain trigger for her so she isn't doing much of that.

All of you suffering with this are in my prayers. Also, in my prayers is the hope of a breakthrough to end this suffering. I can only imagine. Try to stay strong and lean on the Lord.

I wonder what happened and if it was negligence which was the culprit by doing something to the nerve which should not have been done.

Seems frightening that having root canal enacted could bring on this very painful disease.

Makes one wonder about unknown risks involved having dental root canal and other procedures.

Yes every procedure has risks, but having root canal I do not think should be the culprit of causing this nerve disease to surface, but that is MHO.

I am so sad that so many people are suffering with this terrible disease.

No one should suffer with a multitude of pain 24/7.

I hope and pray that soon the medical community along with medical researchers can discover a cure.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Ladies, each and every one. MindyD, I am going to look and see. I am always excited to hear there might be just one more person working toward a treatment. Gin, I am so happy your mother finally albeit late in life, got treatment. Tends2dogs, I am hopeful for your cousin that she can get on a regimen to give her enough relief to eat and hope that will make her feel better. Gin, I am getting the gamma knife soon. I dread the procedure because the mask is pretty scary and being in the tunnel area is even worse but I know I am working toward making my life more normal, so I am going for it.

I thank you each and everyone for your suggestions, your concerns, your prayer and hopes. Thank you again and again.

Respected Contributor

name, I know you from the Linea forum. It sounds like you are having the best treatment available so please forgive me for my response. I'm sure you're tired of people telling you to go other places.

I have chronic neuropathic itching. The doctor treating me is at the nerve injury unit at MGH. It took two years to get to see the head of this unit. Her name is Dr. Marie Louise Oaklander.

She's controversial and I have no idea if she'd have another opinion on treatment. She is interested in RSD (I have a friend who has it.) But she is brilliant.

I have three autoimmune diseases (probably the cause of my pain) and some days are very difficult. I have to stay in the moment.

I'm thinking of you and hope this treatment gives you the relief you deserve. God Bless.

Trusted Contributor

Namealreadytaken... I am so sorry you have to live with such debilitating pain. It is hard enough to live with MS and then to have such severe pain from TN. I pray you find relief soon.
Super Contributor

Hugs and prayers to you, Name, and others here with life-altering pain issues.

I live with extensive nerve damage from both a back surgery and from (before that) a female surgery gone wrong where the laser was too high and the nerves conducted the electricity (the numerous docs and surgeons I saw later felt this was the only way I possibly could've had so much damage as some nerves weren't even in that area). This makes it "fun" to find support groups or post online when the worst damage is in places most don't want to talk about, especially in the mid-90's when it happened and the only surgeon working on even one of those nerves was out-of-country! It's also affects my left leg, hip, pelvis, groin, and you explained the sensitivity. When it's real bad, the only thing that seems to help is taking a Medrol dose pack or some type of steroids, or upping my medication which is already high enough. The nerve I mentioned goes down the inner thigh and groin along the adductors and another branch into the hip, so walking can be very painful and hard to do.

I've been praying for so long for medications and advancement with nerve damage with how much suffering it causes so many, and so far the only thing that's been new that made a difference, at least for me, is when Lyrica came out. I had a disc excision (removal of the herniated part of a disc) when I was a late teen then 7 years ago this Spring I had two levels in my back fused as the previous disc managed to herniate again and I had congenital stenosis the level under it. For some reason, this made the Sciatic nerve worse when it had been doing better from the earlier back surgery and now it triggers the obturator nerve (one of the bigger ones damaged during my female surgery plus it's in some of the same muscles as the sciatic nerve which is how it triggers the obturator), and that one tends to trigger the others, so while the surgery helped my back, I had to increase my medication to calm the muscles and the sciatic nerve to keep it from flaring my hip and the other nerves. Over the years like you suggested in the title of this thread, one after another friend with pelvic neuralgia has chosen to stop fighting. It's easy to understand why when living in so much pain and not being able to do much do to it, but it still breaks my heart for them and I hope things change soon. My Dad also suffers from neuralgia, trigeminal and others from his neck. He also hasn't found a way to feel better without being too drugged either. Medications help, but it's a balancing act as they also cause a lot of side affects and tiredness and if I took enough to help more, I wouldn't be able think much! It's hard to know what to do at times, especially when it's at it's worst as it's tough to stop once a bad flare-up is going aside of waiting it out and trying to stay positive and believe it will calm a bit soon.

Hugs gang.

Respected Contributor

Katmary, what a brave women you are!

My tortuous itching is vaginal; it is very deep. I understand your difficulty in finding a support group. I keep hoping I'll have a remission. I have interstitial cystitis in remission. The first woman who went to Dr. Kevorkian had it.

And my Crohn's remission was an unexplained miracle.

I also had the itching with the interstitial cystitis and thank God that didn't come back. I'm on a TENS device now.

I'm also have small fiber polyneuropathy and Sjogren's syndrome.

I've been going through a lot of medical hoops and am waiting to hear about IVIG treatments. The medical maze is a nightmare in itself.

Still I feel grateful things aren't worse when I read other's entries.

Valued Contributor

Dear Name,

I had TN for 12 years before I found a great Doctor in New York. My doctor was trained by Dr. Janetta, who invested the operation.

I had pain for 12 years and everyone thought I was a nut case because they did not know what it was. I finally moved from Md. to New Jersey and a doctor knew exactly what was wrong with me, when I told her my symptoms. I was also on the same drugs that you were on and eventually they did not work for me. I found Dr. Fraser in New York and he operated on me and have been pain free since that time. (1988)

Dr. Fraser removed part of my skull at the back of my head and placed the Teflon separators between my nerve and my blood vessel. Dr. Fraser told me that I was born, where my nerve and blood vessel were twisted around each other. This man gave me my life back.

Now I live in Fl. and the TN National Medical Association is located in Gainesville, Fl. If you need any help or more advice I would contact them. Just Google and their site will come up. They might be able to help you and they would love to speak to you. I did not even know that there were so many people like us, all over the world. I do donate money to the Association, so that they can explore other means of fixing this terrible condition.

Good Luck to you and hope one day you will be free of pain like me. God bless and I will keep you in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

This is a very interesting thread as my son has been suffering with face pain only in the cheek area since he was 13; he is now 18.

We have been to the "top" docs and hospitals in the world (supposedly). His quality of life is... non existent. Doctors at Hopkins called him a "liar", slapped his face on purpose to see how much pain he would show, the list goes on. The Mayo Clinic was really no better. THough we have a diagnosis, the doctor who discovered the disease and presented it to the world does NOT believe this is what he has but believes he can help us figure out exactly what it is. Off to Europe we go.

My son is on Morphine, Oxycodone, Lyrica and Lignocaine. He is in pain 24 hours a day with no let up and the pain renders him unable to speak, to walk, to eat.... and yet no one will help him because "it isn't our specialty". Our disgust with the medical profession is like nothing you can imagine.

When coherent, he has asked us to contact an attorney in order to write his will. He has also asked us to assist him in relocating to one of the states that allows suicide assistant for those with a chronic illness. His pediatrician and the doctor we are traveling to see agree that at this point, there is not relief that they know of that will help him live a life beyond bed, darkness and excruciating pain.

So true how the research on nerve damage is limited... and yet the #1 reason people seek out pain therapy IS for nerve damage. Hugs to all who suffer.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/6/2015 sahmIam said:

This is a very interesting thread as my son has been suffering with face pain only in the cheek area since he was 13; he is now 18.

We have been to the "top" docs and hospitals in the world (supposedly). His quality of life is... non existent. Doctors at Hopkins called him a "liar", slapped his face on purpose to see how much pain he would show, the list goes on. The Mayo Clinic was really no better. THough we have a diagnosis, the doctor who discovered the disease and presented it to the world does NOT believe this is what he has but believes he can help us figure out exactly what it is. Off to Europe we go.

My son is on Morphine, Oxycodone, Lyrica and Lignocaine. He is in pain 24 hours a day with no let up and the pain renders him unable to speak, to walk, to eat.... and yet no one will help him because "it isn't our specialty". Our disgust with the medical profession is like nothing you can imagine.

When coherent, he has asked us to contact an attorney in order to write his will. He has also asked us to assist him in relocating to one of the states that allows suicide assistant for those with a chronic illness. His pediatrician and the doctor we are traveling to see agree that at this point, there is not relief that they know of that will help him live a life beyond bed, darkness and excruciating pain.

So true how the research on nerve damage is limited... and yet the #1 reason people seek out pain therapy IS for nerve damage. Hugs to all who suffer.

I'm so sorry. I read this today

Carbamazepine (Tegretol®)

Carbamazepine works to alleviate pain associated with neuropathy by decreasing particular brain responses. It also is used to treat a condition called trigeminal neuralgia, a painful nerve condition that affects the face.