Honored Contributor

Re: Triclosan found in Toothpastes and other germ killing products in the news again.....

On 8/12/2014 ROMARY said:

Hey, now I'm remembering (I think) a small can of tooth powder. Was it something my mom used to use?

baking soda perhaps?

Honored Contributor

Re: Triclosan found in Toothpastes and other germ killing products in the news again.....

I've been web searching/images and found small cans of Colgate Tooth Powder. So, I'm guessing that I wasn't imagining it. Funny how certain threads/discussions bring back childhood memories from 'way back when'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Any recommendations regarding tooth powders are welcome!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

This is by means not a new warning. I confronted the representatives at a convention and they blew me off and literally turned their back on me and started talking to someone else. We had some left over samples and they went in the trash when we got home. They are in denial which probably means they have big bucks invested in this formula.

Honored Contributor

I tried oil pulling about a year ago and I just couldn't get past the gag reflex. I found it a lot more difficult than it would seem!

Super Contributor

On 8/12/2014 Montana said:

I had to stop using commercial toothpastes because something in them irritated my gums. The periodontist I recently visited told me the name of the problematic ingredient but I don't remember what it was. Anyway, I finally found a natural tooth powder that agrees with me. So far no problems. I'll see how well it cleaned my teeth at my next dental visit.

I'm a dental hygienist and over the years found patients with gum/tongue irritation from toothpaste. Most of the time it had to do with a "gel" formula. When they switched to a "paste" it resolved.

Respected Contributor

On 8/12/2014 F1wild said:

I had to stop using commercial toothpastes because something in them irritated my gums. The periodontist I recently visited told me the name of the problematic ingredient but I don't remember what it was. Anyway, I finally found a natural tooth powder that agrees with me. So far no problems. I'll see how well it cleaned my teeth at my next dental visit.

I'm a dental hygienist and over the years found patients with gum/tongue irritation from toothpaste. Most of the time it had to do with a "gel" formula. When they switched to a "paste" it resolved.

I had problems with both gel and paste formulas. It took a while, but I found an organic tooth powder I can tolerate.

Honored Contributor

On 8/12/2014 F1wild said:

I had problems with both gel and paste formulas. It took a while, but I found an organic tooth powder I can tolerate.

What is the name of your organic tooth powder Montana?

Respected Contributor

On 8/12/2014 haddon9 said:

I tried oil pulling about a year ago and I just couldn't get past the gag reflex. I found it a lot more difficult than it would seem!

I had the same problem when I first began oil pulling What helped me was starting out with a small amount, instead of a tablespoon - 1 teaspoon, the amount recommended for children. And I only did it as long as I could stand it without gagging. I was not discouraged when I could not do 20 minutes. At first I could only oil pull for about 5 minutes. So I kept at it like this, until I felt I could add a little more oil and go a little longer. Once I got used to the feeling of holding liquid in my mouth, the urge to gag eventually went away. It was a drawn out process but I was having serious gum problems and I was determined to succeed. Now, I oil pull every morning for the full 20 minutes with no problem.

The oil pulling did help my gum problems.

Super Contributor

The therapeutic practice of oil pulling has not been proven as more effective than other oral hygiene practices. I have been researching this since introduced to the practice back in 2004, as part of a small Ayurvedic study in Germany. The practice has never been proven in any major clinical studies. It has similar results in oral health as one would achieve with either water or any other mouthwash swishing. Other medical claims have been debunked (see Snopes, etc.).

I remember, back in '97-98, when Triclosan was first introduced by Colgate. It was the holy grail of dental care. I'm sure they've socked so much money in that particular formulation. My inside source reveals that although the company is not removing it or even speaking negatively about the compound, they are fast-tracking R & D of alternatives.

In the meantime, whatever method of oral healthcare you choose, do your best to remove all plaque, stimulate gums and use a fluoride containing method (as it does reduce decay).