Respected Contributor

Re: Triazolam for dental procedure

@spent2much wrote:

I've never tried Halcion for a dental procedure but if it works for you, I may try it next time.  {*_*}.  I always white knuckle every dental procedure.  I HATE going to the dentist.  (And I have a VERY nice one... female.)

I will check in tomorrow or Thursday and let everyone know how it went and what my experience was like. I've read a lot about it today, and some people are cognizant and in good shape right afterwards, and others tend to sleep the whole day. So we will see.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I get traditional Novacaine, works for me, nothing stronger needed.  Not for root canals or extractions either. 

Do you have sensitive teeth? As I stated in my original post, I've had lots of dental work done by this dentist many times including an implant, crowns, and fillings. This is the first time I've had an issue as this particular side of my mouth and these particular teeth are very sensitive.

I guess I dont have sensitive teeth, Nothingmore than Novacaine has everbeen suggested to me, I wish you luck. This med must be in the same family as Xanax, its med name is Alprazolam. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a dental phobic....so I'm writing Triazolam down just in case I need some dental work done at some point.  I haven't seen my dentist in 2 years but I have an appointment  in June for a cleaning and exam.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP here back with an update.  Good news and bad news, but at least everyone will know about this drug and the procedure that I had.

I was drugged up to the hilt and never felt a thing nor do I really remember anything. The pills (triazolam) truly were amnesic. That being said, when I became awake enough this afternoon to look at my anesthetic bill, I about fainted. $550!!!!! WHAT? The triazolam pills from the pharmacy were 60 cents. The nitrous oxide was $117--no big deal. Then there was a charge for $431 for moderate sedation. So I called the dentist office. The $431 was because they couldn't book the exam room next to me during my procedure as the dentist had to be available at all times in case something went wrong since I was under the influence of a controlled substance. (the triazolam)

In all fairness, when I found out early this month that a crown was going to have to be replaced and told them they were going to have to put me out because of the sensitivity, the tech told me that insurance wouldn't cover the sedation, and I told her that was fine. It is all on me that I didn't ask how much it would cost just assuming it would be a hundred or two for the gas. MY BAD.  She told me they would give me some pills to take first and then I would have gas. It never occured to me to ask anything else. I didn't know what I didn't know!!! It's too bad that they didn't take it upon themselves to tell me the situation (the dentist being available only for me for 2-3 hours and that I would have to cover that cost), because I might have made another choice...maybe.

All this being said, I get to go back in two weeks to have the permanent crown put on. Oh, joy. 🙄I am booked for the same anesthetic procedure...$550. I talked to the tech extensively about that this afternoon and asked how she thought I would get along with just the nitrous oxide ($117). She told me about her personal experience with it but the decision is mine to make. In ways, I'm not sorry I had the whole shebang today, because even with the deadening shots (which hurt like h*** because it takes so many (4!!!!) to numb me because of nerve damage from a previous surgery), can you imagine how much it would hurt to pry off a PERMANENT crown??? I'm wondering since this is a temporary crown that will have to be removed in two weeks, if I would just be okay with the nitrous oxide.

The removal of the temporary crown was awful last time, which made me ask for anesthesia this time, but maybe with the laughing gas, it would be more tolerable. Like I told the tech, I've already gone through the placement/removal of a temporary crown with only the deadening shots and lived to tell about it...surely I could do it again especially with the nitrous oxide. I am leaning that way but haven't made a decision yet. To not have any pain and be totally out of it like I was today is tempting, but at the $550 price? I'm just not sure...
Honored Contributor

I woud go with at least novocaine with the nitrous.  My experience with nitrous oxide is that it only relaxes you.  I love the hell out of it, but as soon as someone speaks to me or there's pain, I'm out of it.  I even asked the tech once if I kept my eyes open would she please leave me alone because she kept asking me was I doing okay and it would pull me out.  This was while we were waiting for the novocaine to kick in.  i know they have to be concerned with the patient passing out or worse, so that was why I suggested I keep my eyes open.  She agreed and everything was great until the work started.

I am sensitive to any dental work and I'm working on my 2nd set of crowns (as in they're so old they need replacing).  My current dentist doesn't even offer nitrous oxide.

Honored Contributor

Triazolam is Halcion.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess yes, I would get the shots and the gas. So the nitrous doesn't help with pain at all...just relaxes a person? Hmmm...

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Icegoddess yes, I would get the shots and the gas. So the nitrous doesn't help with pain at all...just relaxes a person? Hmmm...

That has been my experience with it.  It may depend on how much they give you though.  

Valued Contributor

The traditional novacaine most dentist use now has ephenidrine in it and that makes my heart race, sweating, and my anxiety go up really high. I was sweating and heart racing and the dentist looked at me and noticed. I asked the dentist if there is another type that won't make my heart race and he gives me that but it wears off quicker he says. I tend to need "extra" novacaine anyway. So a higher starting dose and then more in about 15 minutes. I end up very very numbed but heck, what you experienced is dreadful. I now tell them to give me a higher dose as a reminder and I've learned to tolerate the ephenidrine rush. That rush (heart racing, sweating, anxiety) starts within minutes of them doing the shots and then they leave to allow it to work. So I end up sitting alone in the chair for a short while and sweating but it ends within 5 minutes. The last root canal I had the doctor didn't give me the initial higher dose and when he came back, I had to have more cause I could feel it. But my dentist knows so he just gives me a lot at first. So know you are not alone in this situation. I'd rather be kind of in a fog than suffering like you did. 

Honored Contributor

I also cannot tolerate epi, makes me shake all over, heart race and very nauseated. I have to ask for carbocaine at the dentist, works same but not as long lasting but no reactions for me to it