Respected Contributor

I understand people are being hospitalized but what can the hospital do?  Antibiotics dont work on viruses.  I have not heard anyone address what the proper course of treatment would be to fight the pandemic ?  I know with the flu you rest and drink fluids. But this is a whole new ballgame.

Contributor

Many are being put on ventilators (respirators) to assist with their breathing.

Respected Contributor
Reever

You should be ok since you are staying home and taking precautions.

Have you ever been to a hospital?

They have a lot of options that are not readily available at home. Ventilators and IV fluids come to mind immediately.

doxie

Honored Contributor

The virus itself has to run its course, period.

Those who need to be hospitalized are being treated for secondary issues created by the virus.   They are usually in the high risk groups; asthma, COPD, heart disease, autoimmune disorders, etc.   

Contributor

Yes this is a new animal, right now China is trying different things to help patients and from what I have read it is helping. The virus attacks cells in the lungs and sometimes the persons immune system goes into over drive to fight this and when that happens the person cant breathe. I dont know all the long words to describe this but that is how I understand it. Two medicines they are looking at is Cloroquine, and Remdesivir. i believe one is used for people with Lupus, I believe lupus is a immune response.  There are alot of people working very hard on this round the clock and round the globe. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Treatment for Corona ?

[ Edited ]

This is not a treatment, but I'm running a humidifier in my house because the air here is so dry and I don't want to create unwelcome circumstances to my overall health. Humidifiers will help maintain a healthy environment inside my house so I might stay in good shape rather than in a compromised one where I can get sick more easily with whatever comes my way.  Trying to keep my immune system as healthy as I can keep it, especially right now.

Respected Contributor

@Darlingdino I had heard about the Chloroquine (an anti-malarial drug) and the Remdesivir (used in trials against Ebola, MERS, and SARS) along with high dose IV Vitamin C.  It would be nice if this were more discussed in the mainstream media.  I most certainly am stocking up on Vitamin C, and I am taking it, daily. 

Honored Contributor

I bought a big bag of elderberry extract powder. It is a very good antiviral and tastes pretty good, too. 

Respected Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@Darlingdino I had heard about the Chloroquine (an anti-malarial drug) and the Remdesivir (used in trials against Ebola, MERS, and SARS) along with high dose IV Vitamin C.  It would be nice if this were more discussed in the mainstream media.  I most certainly am stocking up on Vitamin C, and I am taking it, daily. 

Jersey Born its frightening. The President is going to address the nation at 9pm.

Honored Contributor

Re: Treatment for Corona ?

[ Edited ]

Some need a ventilator if it moves to their lungs. I read your lungs can fill with fluid. They don't have enough ventilators so choices will have to be made. They are now making those decisions in Italy including non-coronavirus patients. It's who they think can survive & has the most years of quality life left.