Super Contributor

Re: Treadmill verses Elliptical / Need Expert Opionions

If you want the lowest impact there is...the Elliptical is the way to go. Beating your joints to death to get your heat rate up is a long term plus. I have the Max Trainer by Bowflex, it's REALLY great!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/1/2015 radimage said:

If you want the lowest impact there is...the Elliptical is the way to go. Beating your joints to death to get your heat rate up is a long term plus. I have the Max Trainer by Bowflex, it's REALLY great!

I agree with radimage. Keep in mind that what I'm about to share is based on one of my double majors back in the day - Kinesiology; my clinical experience as a nurse; experience managing a pysical therapy clinic with LOTS of equipment; and, my deteriorating skeleton.

1. At the PT clinic, our clinical director indicated on numerous occasions that rowing machines were not only bad for folks with bad backs, but for those who are "normal." His indication was that rowing machines cause more herniations than any other piece of equipment he's seen.

2. Treadmill: If you're already experiencing sciatica and DDD, a nice SLOW walk on a treadmill is warranted. However, if you want to up the ante to a cardio workout, please know that the jarring and pounding will have a negative effect on your back. I joined a health club in 2004 and made a beeline for the treadmill, only to realize I could not go any faster than 2.25mph. Anything beyond that kicked my sciatica into full gear. I had been on a treadmill some years previously, but did not realize until then how bad my back had progressed.

3. Elliptical: Love this aparatus. It has not induced sciatic pain, nor made any condition worse. Though I have 2 small rotator cuff tears on the left, I can use the elliptical with ease. The tortion of which you speak seems to be minimal to me, otherwise my supra and infra spinatus tears would be barking at me. Honestly, I can get a decent work-out on an elliptical.

4. DDD: I have this condition as well and have to date lost 2" of height. Honestly, I would not go near a treadmill solely due to this condition. (Once I get my dropped met head fixed next month, I'm looking forward to being able to just get outside and walk a mile each day at a decent, but non-jarring pace.)

Good luck in your quest.

Contributor

Thank you all for your great replies! Lilysmom, I do not have bad knee issues (yet, these are about the only joints without arthritic pain). I like your doctor's advise on the elliptical. Radimage, I'm going to check out Bow Flex, as I have been focused on Nordic Track.

ury, I cannot do a rowing machine, it is just too hard for my back.

Sfnative, I am grateful for your professional advise, and your own experiences with the two machines. When the weather permits (live in cold wintery Wisconsin) I love to go outside for walks, but now must walk slower and not as far before my sciactica kicks in. I always tell my husband to keep his cellphone nearby in case I would need him to come and get me!

Further comments, experiences and suggestions still welcome. Paula

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/1/2015 radimage said:

1. At the PT clinic, our clinical director indicated on numerous occasions that rowing machines were not only bad for folks with bad backs, but for those who are "normal." His indication was that rowing machines cause more herniations than any other piece of equipment he's seen.

Making a mass generalization that rowing is bad for 'normal' folks is crazy talk! He's probably seeing the effects of bad training of the CrossFit/HIIT nonsense, where the Level 10-High Drag factor is the norm...and many people try to copy that in other fitness clubs....I see it all.the.time!

If your rowing is causing a bad back, it's the result of bad FORM & pulling too heavy a drag...not the machine. Wow...that's basic info. Surprised a professional doesn't know this.

Trusted Contributor

I have both. The NordicTrack treadmill is in the basement; the Sole elliptical is in the bedroom. I had knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus several years ago. I also have four herniated disks in my lower back. Walking is the only thing that actually makes my back feel better during a flare-up. And I'm grateful that I can continue to walk for exercise because of my back problems. I have to be very careful of exercise and can't just do anything.

Anyway, my ortho doctor said that an elliptical was easier on the joints than a treadmill. Right after knee surgery, I started using the elliptical. I do like it, but I love my treadmill more. I tend to do half and half. 3 miles on the elliptical in the morning and then walking outside for 3 miles during lunch. On days with inclement weather, then I'll hit the treadmill when I get home from work.

Using both seems to be the best of both worlds for me.

I'm a little confused at the OP's "spinal twisting" thoughts. The elliptical doesn't twist my spine....I wouldn't be able to use it if it did.

Oh, and for those who have a Fitbit Flex, put your Fitbit in your shorts pocket when you're using the elliptical. It will track better than it does when you wear your Fitbit on your wrist. I have found that an elliptical doesn't track very well on a Fitbit, unless it's in your pocket. Keeping your Flex in your pocket will help the Flex track more of your elliptical work-out.

Regular Contributor

JMHO, I think the arc trainer beats the elliptical and the treadmill. Like others have suggested, try the equipment at a gym first.

Valued Contributor

I have a family member with multiple ortho issues. For him, he has found the recumbent bicycle to be the best machine. He came to that conclusion after using everything the gym hand to offer. I like the gym advice because what works today may not next year. Also, have you consulted a physical therapist and/or certified fitness trainer for recs based on her condition? That may be something else to consider.

Super Contributor

I would absolutely advise purchasing at least a months' worth membership at a fitness location where you can try out all the equipment for an extended period of time at your pace before making any kind of BIG decision about purchasing something.

For example, I have absolutely nothing wrong with my back and am in my early 60's. I have never been able to use an elliptical machine without experiencing back pain. I have had x-rays for this and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my back -- I just know that machine is not for me!

I very much enjoy using a treadmill and ended up purchasing one of those for my home, but I used one extensively at a club before doing so.

In Sunny AZ