Respected Contributor

Re: Trampoline investigation on local news

I was watching The Price is Right last week and they were giving away small individual trampolines.  One model was demonstrating for a minute and injured her leg.  They announced she was being treated backstage.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trampolines require constant adult supervision .... just like when children are using a swimming pool ... or on a ski slope with their parents.     

If you don't have the time or money for proper child care around these recreational activities, get the kids something else .... but even bicycles need helmets these days!!   

Regular Contributor

@Tantallum wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Accidents happen with any activity.  Had a friend tear up her knee whild walking down the street.

True anything can happen but

this is about children's bones before

growth plates are completely formed,

plus the number of people walking down

the street and their knee falling apart

is probably small.

😉

With all due respect, the point being no activity is 100 percent safe.  Children get hurt all the time doing the simplest things.  Children need to be active.  Strong musles will protect bones and joints.  Growth plates do not completely close till children are in thier teens.  Cannot keep them in bubble wrap till then.

Of course children need to be active and this isn't about suggesting that kids be bubble wrapped or not do anything.  But trampolines specifically have a higher risk. In fact, homeowners insurance policies specifically ask if you have a trampoline on your property because they are SO associated with injuries. 

I broke my leg falling off my bike when I was 12, I certainly am not saying no one should ride bikes. Trampolines are more dangerous than other activities.  Perhaps to some people, the enjoyment of it is worth the risk.  Like base jumping or sky diving or rock climbing or whatnot.  

Different activities have different levels of risk.  Sure, you can get hit by a bus an break your leg walking across the street.  But you are sure as heck more likely to break your leg on a trampoline--THAT is the point!!!    

Correct @Tantallum!

Regular Contributor

@ChillyTulip wrote:

Trampolines are an orthopedic surgeon's favorite device-----they help put their kids through college for free with all of the work they provide them.

In all seriousness, they are a pediatrician's nightmare.  I have had two kids in the past month require emergent surgery for serious fractures.   Just say no. 

BUT . . . . if you DO decide to have a trampline make sure it is properly insured under your homeowner's insurance (in our state you can't find a policy under 5k a year).  I have a patient now who broke his leg and sustained a concussion on a neighbor's trampoline last year. His medical bills are in the 6 digit range at this time.  BUT HIS HEALTH INSURANCE IS REFUSING TO COVER THE COST OF TREATMENT----STATING THE OWNER OF THE TRAMPOLINE'S HOMEOWNER'S POLICY SHOULD COVER IT.  Well guess what?  The owners do NOT have the trampoline insured and they are being sued by the insurance company for payment.  It's a huge disaster.  If you chose to have one of these nightmares in your backyard, get it insured at minimum.

Yes.  Good post!

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Trampolines require constant adult supervision .... just like when children are using a swimming pool ... or on a ski slope with their parents.     

If you don't have the time or money for proper child care around these recreational activities, get the kids something else .... but even bicycles need helmets these days!!   

Thumbs up!