Honored Contributor

I think you should consult your doctor or pharmacist about symptoms.  You will know when your mother takes one if she is having any symptoms.  As far as side effects, read the information on the drug. It can be easily found on the internet.  Taking my word or anyone else's is the wrong thing to do.  Some will have positive and some negative symptoms and/or side effects.  You need to either use it or not based on what you read from the paper contained with the drug.  Like I said, it is easily found on the internet.  You will not know if it is going to have positive or negative effects for your mother until she uses it.

Honored Contributor

I've been prescribed Tramadol on several occasions and it never did anything for pain, for me.

After trying it several times, with the same non-results, I just turn it down if that's what's offered for pain management.

Tylenol works better for me than Tramadol.

I had kidney failure from Ibuprofen, so that's a no-go for me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

They gave me that when I had Shingles. While it did not get rid of the pain it helped enough so I could get 3-4 hours of sleep each night. I took it for about 3 months. They told me to just stop taking it so I did. Wrong thing to do. I felt like krap for about 10 days. When your mom stops taking it tell her to slowly wean off it so she does not feel like I did. They say it does not do this but it did to me. I had not issues taking it.

My brother takes it every night or he cannot sleep. He has a degenerative disc disease of some kind.

Hope your mom can find some relief. Hard to get by day to day when you are in pain.

Honored Contributor

Hi @goldensrbest .  I am a licensed pharmacy tech and adding to some of the great advice already given, I just want to add that tramadol is an opioid that works on receptors in the brain. As a result, a lot of the side effects can be mind altering, literally.

It's a little farther down the schedule (Sch. 4 instead of the Sch. 2s you hear about with the opiod epidemic) but that means it is not as habit forming as the other opioids can be but it works the same.

Please speak with the pharmacist about your mom's medical history and he or she will be able to guide you better.  Quite a few people have exotic dreams on this substance as well as the other physical effects mentioned.  It's a drug that is either tolerated quite well or not.  There's not a lot of in between with this one.    

Best wishes to your mom!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Hi @goldensrbest .  I am a licensed pharmacy tech and adding to some of the great advice already given, I just want to add that tramadol is an opiod that works on receptors in the brain. As a result, a lot of the side effects can be mind altering, literally.

It's a little farther down the schedule (Sch. 4 instead of the Sch. 2s you hear about with the opiod epidemic) but that means it is not as habit forming as the other opiods can be but it works the same.

Please speak with the pharmacist about your mom's medical history and he or she will be able to guide you better.  Quite a few people have exotic dreams on this substance as well as the other physical effects mentioned.  It's a drug that is either tolerated quite well or not.  There's not a lot of in between with this one.    

Best wishes to your mom!  Heart

@Laura14 

Too bad it did not give me some exotic dreams. LOL!!! I guess I was in too much pain for that. 

DH always asks me what did I dream last night. I always say nothing. If I dream I don't remember Nada. Can't remember last time I had a dream.

Respected Contributor

I was given Tramadol after having my gallbladder removed. It made me nauseous too and I found over the counter pain meds worked better.   I am very sensitive to medicines. 

Honored Contributor

I was given this for my back and it didn't do a thing for me.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I was given this for my back and it didn't do a thing for me.

Yeah, we must be in the minority because, for me, it did not give me one iota of pain relief for any of my assorted pains.  It does give me a little help with the anxiety I get in my legs sometimes.  But not one thing for pain.

I'm flummoxed that it is even considered a narcotic, to be honest.

Super Contributor

I am currently on Tramadol and Gabapentin for a bulging disc. It made me loopy at first and I wouldn't drive once I had taken the medication. I take 2 a day but can take up to 4 a day. I think it is addictive but I need something to control the pain. Pain management doesn't think much about giving Tramadol. It does help my pain but many others have said it didn't help them at all. My mother was 84 and they gave her Tynenol 3 for pain. She tolerated that medication well but it makes me deathly ill. I always eat with Tramadol.

Honored Contributor
@Nightowlz Lol! I really meant strange not erotic but no wonder this drug is getting so popular! Smiley Very Happy