Super Contributor

Re: Total gym....on the fence

come to my house and you can have mine. I can not use it anymore due to arthritis in my upper back and shoulders.. you cart it away and you can have it. ( it is heavy!!!)

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/20/2015 puglet1 said:
On 1/19/2015 ANewHue said: Thanks for the opinions ladies. Piglet - I know it is supposed to make you long and lean but when I pulled out my Spring/Summer clothes I was devastated. I didn't change anything but add Pilates . Nothing fit!!! I'm a stubborn person and immediately started doing some P90x which got me back into my clothes that Summer. I folded the Pilates and that was that. I did everything I was supposed to do since I was a beginner at this. Most of my weight is in my thighs and they were horrible. I lo admit I was thinking of trying again but Im afraid to at this point.

Hi ANewHue, If you'd like to share what your routine was for your legs on your Pilates machine, maybe I can make some suggestions. During the height of my weight training days when I was in great shape, I had to adjust my leg routine because they tend to get too big very easily. Adjusting my routine solved the problem. At any rate, I can assure you that the Total Gym works in the same way the Pilates machine does. And, Pilates doesn't magically make everyone long and lean. I genetically have longer muscle bellies so there was not that obvious a difference in my body using Pilates, but it has been a good piece of equipment for me to have at home as far as strength and flexibility.

Hi piglet, that's so nice of you thank you. Well it was four years ago and I don't remember but I guess I started with the beginner tape . I was doing 3-4 religiously and thought I was going to be in the best shape. You have convinced me that maybe I should give it a try again but only add it to my routine now. I have a lot of heavy housework to get to but when ai have the time I'm going to unfold it. Right now I do squats and lunges , not as much as I would like but my legs are fine. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again.
Occasional Contributor

I have had a total gym for 17 years. I have no problems with bulking up. I can do 2 or three different kinds of exercises for every muscle or muscle group. I can do pilates and aerobics on my total gym. When I have let myself get out of shape as when I had breast cancer and treatments it only took 6 months using it only two times a week to get back my body and strength back. This machine started out in use for physical therapy in hospitals. My sister has the pilates machine and in using it I felt limited and I was, but any way to exercise is better than none. I am unsure why you would have bulked up doing pilates it makes no common sense to me. I truly state the total gym is well worth the price and I love it and need it so much that it is out in my fifth wheel that I live in. Now that says it all to me!!!

Honored Contributor

I've had my total gym elite for years now. love it, very easy setup (did it myself). STILL use it. My arms are looking good!!!

We have some great workout equipment in our basement and use it 5-7 days per week. It all allows us to vary out workouts too which is great.

I still watch the total gym presentations and so admire the rep (her name escapes me now) because she looks great and always does. I know that's what she does for a living so she has no excuse - LOL. I want what she has and that's why I still use my total gym elite.

Respected Contributor

Costco has the total body gym (Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley) in the store. You can try it out and of course if you don't like it, Costco always accepts returns after 30 days (except for electronics...3 months).

And it is probably less money at Costco. I think $249.99.

Honored Contributor

Have had my TG 2000 for 20+ years. Also have had a Pilates Premiere XP for many years. One is better for some exercises than the other. If I had to pick one? My choice would be my Total Gym 2000.
hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

For those who own Pilates machines, any brand recommendations other than the Q's Aero/stamina? Do you recommend a machine w/trampoline attachment? Does it give you a good aerobic workout? I have an older Karen voight machine with no trampoline & I am thinking of upgrading it. Thanks

Honored Contributor

We bought ours on QVC and it gets used at least 5 times a week. A treadmill and the Total Gym are kept in our basement rec room and my DH loves them both. I like that they fold up if we want to have company over.

Respected Contributor

For those who have the total gym, what exercise do you do for cardio on the TG ? ...TIA
Honored Contributor

On 1/31/2015 Azcowgirl said: For those who have the total gym, what exercise do you do for cardio on the TG ? ...TIA

I don't think of it as a piece of cardio equipment so I doubt if the manufacturer intended it for that purpose.