Esteemed Contributor
I'm considering investing in a total gym and would like your opinions. First I've worked out pretty much my whole life but I'm at the point I want to do strength training. I currently workout with Dumbbells but continually have to add weight and just to keep my arms half way decent the workout is 3 hours a week and I do aerobics a few times a week when I can. A few years back I purchased the Pilates performer with high hopes and worked out 3-4 days a week and when Spring arrived I was so disappointed, it bulked up my thighs and I looked and felt horrible. So I don't use it anymore. I don't need to lose weight, just want to stay toned as I'm aging and was hoping the total gym would cut down on time. Really on the fence here, the last thing I want to do is spend the money and be disappointed. Now when I was just watching Rosalyn I noticed her triceps weren't that toned .Your experience and knowledge would be appreciated.
Respected Contributor

Re: Total gym....on the fence

I have had my Total Gym Power Platinum for about 8 years and love it. I leave mine set-up at all times. It is easy and fun to use. I have had some health issues and haven't used it as much as I wanted but I would never get rid of mine. I am 65 years old and if I could do nothing more than work my legs it would make me feel better. Where else can you lie down and workout when you have no energy? The only thing my husband did for me is add another clip to the one that connects the cords underneath. It was hard for me to open and close. I am feeling better now and started back exercising yesterday. I worked on my Tony Little Gazelle yesterday and today will be on my Total Gym. I personally like the variety and intensity of what the Total Gym can do. I think I will buy the DVD Rosalie has on QVC now also. I know that no matter how I feel I can do something on my Total Gym. I hope you give it a chance as the intensity comes from how high you raise the bar. The new Total Gym Elite that they show in blue has all the extra attachments that are expensive to buy for it so it is a good deal. The Ab Crunch attachments really work your abdomen.

Let us know how you like it if you buy it.

Honored Contributor

I have a pilates reformer and I love it for arms. There are a lot of exercises you can do. Maybe you should try those out first before you commit to another piece of equipment.

Respected Contributor

If you have a Pilates, you really don't need a TG, they are similar in so many ways.
Respected Contributor

If you have a Pilates, you really don't need a TG, they are similar in so many ways.
Trusted Contributor

I have also worked out my entire life. I wanted a change and purchased an Aero Pilates Reformer in July 2014. It in no way bulked me up. It gave me "definition and I became long and lean" (just as they say it will do). I use it 4 - 5 times a week for an hour each session and this is what I found. My entire body changed (even though I was in very good shape to begin with). I dropped lots of inches, dropped body fat, dropped about 10 pounds and went down a size in clothing. My entire body became longer, leaner and defined there was no bulking up. The Total Gym is based on the Pilates Reformer with the only difference being that its on an incline. You would totally be wasting your money. I highly recommend that you go back to using your reformer. Not only is it healthy for your muscles and joints but, if used regularly, it gives you a beautiful dancers body. It has been the best investment I have ever made. My arms, legs and overall body looks better than when I used to workout with a trainer in the gym (and I did that 3 times a week for 10 years). I love the look that Pilates has given me better than the look I had from working out with weights. Everyone has seen the difference in me and I get tons of compliments and I'm asked all the time what I'm doing. I will never live without my Reformer again. It has changed my life and its lots of fun.

Super Contributor

As others have said, if you have the Pilates machine, you don't need a Total Gym. I don't understand how you "bulked up" on the Pilates. I have weight trained for many years and bulk up easily due to genetics, but my Pilates machine doesn't bulk me up. If you still insist that it did, I can suggest that you use less resistance and higher reps or even less resistance and fewer reps on your Pilates machine. Certainly don't do it every day.

I don't like the idea of working out on an incline (as in the Total Gym) not only because of stability/safety, but I don't think resistance is as easily controlled as with the power cords on the Pilates.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the opinions ladies. Piglet - I know it is supposed to make you long and lean but when I pulled out my Spring/Summer clothes I was devastated. I didn't change anything but add Pilates . Nothing fit!!! I'm a stubborn person and immediately started doing some P90x which got me back into my clothes that Summer. I folded the Pilates and that was that. I did everything I was supposed to do since I was a beginner at this. Most of my weight is in my thighs and they were horrible. I lo admit I was thinking of trying again but Im afraid to at this point.
Super Contributor

On 1/19/2015 ANewHue said: Thanks for the opinions ladies. Piglet - I know it is supposed to make you long and lean but when I pulled out my Spring/Summer clothes I was devastated. I didn't change anything but add Pilates . Nothing fit!!! I'm a stubborn person and immediately started doing some P90x which got me back into my clothes that Summer. I folded the Pilates and that was that. I did everything I was supposed to do since I was a beginner at this. Most of my weight is in my thighs and they were horrible. I lo admit I was thinking of trying again but Im afraid to at this point.

Hi ANewHue, If you'd like to share what your routine was for your legs on your Pilates machine, maybe I can make some suggestions. During the height of my weight training days when I was in great shape, I had to adjust my leg routine because they tend to get too big very easily. Adjusting my routine solved the problem. At any rate, I can assure you that the Total Gym works in the same way the Pilates machine does. And, Pilates doesn't magically make everyone long and lean. I genetically have longer muscle bellies so there was not that obvious a difference in my body using Pilates, but it has been a good piece of equipment for me to have at home as far as strength and flexibility.

Respected Contributor

Well you can pretty much do anything on the total gym including pilates. It does work with your own body weight, we've had one for years it's a total gym 3000. Ours has a bar for weights but I never use it as I'm not trying to bulk up just stay half way in shape. Of course the secret to any machine is using it. Smiley Happy I alternate between the total gym and the treadmill. Our son liked ours enough we sent him off to college with one. He also still uses it

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*