Valued Contributor

Total gym OR pilates machine ?

I'll continue to do more research into these options, but it'd be great to hear any input!

Which one do you recommend?    Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Total gym OR pilates machine ?

I have a friend who is a trained Pilates instructor and I have taken classes with her for over 20 years.  We've had this conversation before about equipment.  Her opinion is that if you are new to Pilates, to start with the inexpensive equipment (a total gym or something similar).   If you are experienced and committed, then ordering the more expensive machine can be justified, but she has had clients who have done both and it's her opinion that for home use it really doesn't matter which one you buy.  I will warn you that a name brand Pilates bed will have a high shipping cost and can take close to a year before delivery.  However, due to COVID a lot of Pilates studios closed and you may be able to find a used bed.  New or used it will cost you thousands of dollars and will take up a lot of space.  They also do not fold up or easily store under a bed.   It is my intention to eventually buy a total gym to use as a Pilates bed.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23 

I have owned my Total Gym 2000 for over 25 years. I also had 2 different models of Pilates Machines. While they both are similar, the TG uses only your body weight for resistsnce(along with degree of angle of the bed) for resistance. Pilates uses Power Cords along with your body weight for it's resistance.

Some exercises are more easily done on a TG, and others easier to do correctly on a Pilates Machine. For me personally, the TG is more suited to building more muscle strength, and the Pilates is better for toning and elongating muscle and their connective tissues.

As for stretching? Both can be used depending on which parts of the body one thinks needs more help for those areas. 

As far as picking only 1? I see it as depending on ones goals. With either machine I can't see going wrong with either, but that is just me.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Thank you so much, @kaiwahini and @hckynutjohn, for having taken the time to write back such helpful answers.  I definitely learned things from both of your replies!

Please know I really appreciate it.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

PLEASE save your money!! Just go take a walk!! I'm an avid walker. I've lost 70 lbs. and plan on keeping it off. My dh and I walk twice a day clocking over 5 miles a day. It's a wonderful exercise. Peace and quiet, out in the fresh air, seeing wildlife. I can't say enough about walking, which is free.  

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

PLEASE save your money!! Just go take a walk!! I'm an avid walker. I've lost 70 lbs. and plan on keeping it off. My dh and I walk twice a day clocking over 5 miles a day. It's a wonderful exercise. Peace and quiet, out in the fresh air, seeing wildlife. I can't say enough about walking, which is free.  

Walking isn't always an option when it's between 100-118  degrees from April to September. An no we can't go walking in the morning or evening. There are weeks, sometimes months where it doesn't get below 85. Sometimes the low is 95. (It can still be 105 at 10 pm) which in my opinion is still to hot and that low doesn't happen until 2 am. We have a Total Gym that I have used on occasion. My husband uses it more than me and he likes it. We got ours through Costco a couple of years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I have had both....they are very heavy and cumbersome....I gave them away. 

Contributor

Years ago I had the TG  and used it once in awhile.. as I was getting a little older, I bought a Pilates which i love and  use it 6 days a week ..  I am now 73 and still love and use my Pilates Smiley Happy  So glad I bought it !

Esteemed Contributor

We have had both pcs of equipment and for my needs the Pilate Reformer gets the most use. I run for aerobics, either inside or outside, depending on weather and temps. The Pilates I use for stretching and working my abs. My husband also has a rowing machine which I love using for my arms and back.

My Pilates is up on a riser stand, which makes getting up a bit easier. Smiley Happy

No matter which one you chose, enjoy building your routine. It's amazing how good you feel when you make the time for yourself to be active.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I only have an Aero Pilates machine.  I do like it very much.  I go  in spurts which is bad but when I do use it 3-4 times a week I do feel better.  I used to walk also a few times a week but that stopped about a year ago due to hip problems.  I ended up needing a hip replacement which I had last March.  I have not begun a walking program again but I intend to now that the weather is cooler.  Just do something!  It all helps you to feel your best.