Super Contributor

Hi Everyone -  My husband and I belong to a gym.   We are getting tired of going mostly because the time we can get there its pretty crowded and a wait for machines.  Also, 90% if not more people do not wipe down the equipement when they are done which grosses me out LOL!!

We were thinking of possibly cancelling our gym membership and purchasing a total gym.   Do you think you can get as good of a work out on the total gym as you can using the equipment at the regular gym?

Thanks ! Smiley Happy

Also, what is the main differences between total gym and a pilates machine?

Honored Contributor

Re: Total Gym Machine VS. Gym

@WeiRDgeRL wrote:

Hi Everyone -  My husband and I belong to a gym.   We are getting tired of going mostly because the time we can get there its pretty crowded and a wait for machines.  Also, 90% if not more people do not wipe down the equipement when they are done which grosses me out LOL!!

We were thinking of possibly cancelling our gym membership and purchasing a total gym.   Do you think you can get as good of a work out on the total gym as you can using the equipment at the regular gym?

Thanks ! Smiley Happy

Also, what is the main differences between total gym and a pilates machine?

You might want to reevaluate after March. By then, all the resolution people will stop going to the gym and only the serious gym members will be there. And they probably have better etiquette after years of experience.

Respected Contributor

You can do pilates on a Total Gym but you can not do the work out you get with a Total Gym on a pilates machine.

I love mine, and once you get used to changing stuff it becomes second nature.  The boards are not very long tho, if you husband is very tall he may not find it very comfortable.   Not sure how long the XL is.  I would try and find someplace that displays them.   My husband is tall and all back as well, he doesn't like it.  I use it every other day alternating with a treadmill.  Mine is a 3000, I've had it for a long time, and it has a place for a weight bar, the one's sold here do not.  

I tossed the videos and use the cards while listening to music.   I've never even considered joining a gym, I like to exercise at my own pace and alone.

I would also go to the total gym website and research the difference in the models they have available.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

I stated why I quit going to fitness centers and gyms in another thread here or on the Community Chat Forum.

My home gym has lots of machines for resistance/cardio and stretching exercising. Owned the Total Gym 2000 for well over 20 years, with most of the attachments that are available for that particular model.

I also own a Bowflex Sports model with a 250# max resistance. Also have most of the attachments available for that model. They are both very good for resistance and for stretching certain muscle and connective tissue groups.

We're I forced to choose only 1of them? I would keep my Bowflex. Though both are very good machines, the Bowflex allows me to do specific leg exercises that no way can be done on my Total Gym. For me I also find I have more "range of motion" for many of my more prominent exercises.

Going to a gym? Way too many negatives for me and I elaborated more on them in the other thread. Think it was titled: "Are your gym memberships going up"?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I think the most important question is - which are you more likely to enjoy: Staying at home and working out or going to a gym? For some, going to the gym is a ritual - they enjoy actually GOING there and being there and working out. For others, they prefer to do it at home. The one that will benefit you the most is the one you actually do. 

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for the feedback!  I appreciate it  and I think we're going to look into trying the total gym and see how we like it before cancelling our gym membership.   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

While more expensive, they always have sales on the website and even easy pay.  If I were to upgrade I'd get a xls.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

Thanks  Smiley Happy