Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom 

I stepped on an exercise springboard with thin soles loafers ( incorrect footwear ! ) and felt a little “ something “.

Ext day we left for a driving vacation to FL but 2 days in D.C. to do several museums and the Wall.  The foot became swollen and I limped a lot.  Soaked the foot in epsom salt while in FL.  Went to podiatrist when we got home.  

Spent 6 weeks in an immobilized boot that went from knee to toe.  Foot is fine but because I “ rocked “ while grocery shopping aisles, etc., I now have arthritis in that knee joint !   Some times it is fine but not others.  There is no kneeling on the knee.  Makes cleaning floors and lower cabinets impossible.

Guess I now have a great excuse !!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm going through similar pain.  Podiatrist said arthritis some time ago.  Orthopedist said there's some arthritis, but I'm also pronating when I walk causing tendonitis in other areas.  He's prescribed an arch support orthotic insert.  Haven't received it yet.  Hopefully it will help.

@Krimpette    Can you tell me as I will have to wear a orthotic insert once I have my  MRI results are they removable to use from one shoe to then next?   And can it be put in a sandal as well?  The dr said I was out if alignment due yo pronating and that's where the pain comes in.  Thanks😺

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore The orthotics I'm getting are from Amazon, as recommended by the Orthopedist.  The brand is Spenco.  They can be used in other shoes, but I'm not sure about sandals, but from the looks of the picture of the inserts, I doubt they'd be wearable with sandals.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Kitty Galore The orthotics I'm getting are from Amazon, as recommended by the Orthopedist.  The brand is Spenco.  They can be used in other shoes, but I'm not sure about sandals, but from the looks of the picture of the inserts, I doubt they'd be wearable with sandals.

@Krimpette    I guess I thought they would be made at the ortho ,  that  they were  personalized .   They do have spenco shoes and sandals at the specialized foot store outside his offices.   I can't wear them though as I have a narrow foot with high arches which is a whole other problem lol.  Thanks for your reply😺

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore  For whatever reason, my ortho doc was not prescribing custom orthotics.  I hope he's right.  I, too, have a narrow foot and high arch.  When I was at the ortho doc's yesterday, they took 4 x-rays of my foot and 4 of my ankle.  After reviewing the x-rays and watching me walk, he prescribed the Spencos.  Good luck!  Sounds like we both suffer from the same condition!

Honored Contributor

From seeing the footwear worn by tons of ladies, I am surprised all of them do not have problems. Starting from the foot upwards:

Plantar Fasciitis(bottom of foot can be from toes to heel, including top of foot. Yes, I know from my own experiences)

Achilles Tendon

Calf Muscles 

Knees

Hips 

Spine.

Many problems originating from the foot can start moving up to the aforementioned issues. 

I had permanent/hard/custom orthotic made back in the 1970's. They were made by 2 Sports Med Podiatrists that were also mid-distance runners. My problem started with a knee issue(chondromalacia patella). Flat feet/legs different length/thus all joints upward were "out-of-line".

They had to adjust the orthotic many times, mainly  because while they helped my knee problem, since I had back surgery, they caused back issues. After months of running and adjusting, I could run pretty much problem free. But overuse or footwear could still cause issues if I did not keep records of ALL my miles of running, including shoes worn.

I still am wearing the last set of orthotic made for me back in the 1970's, move them from shoe to shoe/never go barefoot or wear any type of flat sandal type footwear. So far back my Medical Insurance paid for them.

I won't address specific posts here, but will say that I have had broken toes/tendonitis/plantar faciitis/shin spints/Tenosynovitis and Patella Tendonitis. All of these listed are below the knee. My experiences were caused either by physical injury/body misalignment or overuse injuries.

Ah! I could go on and on but? Footwear and body(including the spine) can and do cause pain from the bottom of the foot up through the cervical area of ones neck.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I have a ganglion cyst on the top of my right foot that came from wearing tight laces on one pair of sneakers.  For me it happened after taking a walk in one pair of new sneakers I bought and the pain became quite severe.  After trying to self-treat with soaking, aleve, ice and heat, I went to the foot doctor.  I needed two cortesone injections to relieve the pain.  I was told if the pain continued, surgery would be needed to scrape down the cyst.  Not wanting to go that route, I make certain to wear loose laces or shoes that don't put any pressure on the top of my foot.  Hope you find relief but I really think you need to see a doctor. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz , it is hard to heal the foot because it is weight bearing.  Not nice to get injuries there.  I took up swimming instead of walking to give my foot a rest.  I walked 5 days a week.  I don’t think I will be walking that much again.  Good thing I enjoy swimming.  Love the summer as I can swim in the lake instead of the pool.  LM

Honored Contributor

i had something similar to this quite a while ago.

mine was a "march fracture."

"March fracture, also known as fatigue fracture or stress fracture of metatarsal bone, is the fracture of the distal third of one of the metatarsals occurring because of recurrent stress."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Think I'm going to have to make an appointment with a foot doctor.   I'm having pain on the top of my foot just below where your foot bends.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I tried Googling it and, from what I'm reading, it could be extensor tendonitis.   I notice if I wear shoes with laces it seems to make it worse unless I lace the shoe loosely.  

Until you see a doctor and get x-rays taken, anything else is speculation.