Respected Contributor

Think I'm going to have to make an appointment with a foot doctor.   I'm having pain on the top of my foot just below where your foot bends.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I tried Googling it and, from what I'm reading, it could be extensor tendonitis.   I notice if I wear shoes with laces it seems to make it worse unless I lace the shoe loosely.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella   It's also possible to have broken one of those small bones in your foot.  I know this has happened to several women I know.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella , I walked around for three weeks with a broken metatarsal in my left foot before I went to the doctor.  Not good.  Get it looked at now.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

If it is indeed a bone fracture, then that could be an early sign of osteoporosis, especially if you don't know how it got broken. Keep us posted!

Honored Contributor

Re: Top of the Foot Pain

[ Edited ]

“There are several causes of pain on the top of the foot. The type of pain and its location help the doctor in determining the cause of the pain and helps to direct them in the best treatment for the patient

Pain of sudden onset without the occurrence of injury on the top of the foot just behind the toes may be a stress fracture of a metatarsal bone. There is frequently swelling in the area and it is painful to the touch.

Another common area of pain occurs near the middle of the top of the foot, generally a bit to the outside of the foot. In this area of the foot the tendons that go to the toes can become inflamed. This is called extensor tendonitis. One cause of this condition is excessive tightness of the calf muscle. When the calf muscle is tight it places excessive stress on the tendons on the top of the foot that pull the foot upward and against the tightness of the calf muscles. Wearing a shoe with a one-inch heel will help to take the stress off of the tendons on the top of the foot. Aggressive stretching of the calf muscle is also very helpful. Oral anti-inflammatory medications can help. When these measures do not work a functional orthotic should be tried. The orthotic corrects the alignment of the foot taking the stress off of the tendons on the top of the foot.

More generalized pain on the top of the foot with swelling or a "thickness" to the foot may be caused by degenerative arthritis. This is seen in people with flatfeet or a slowly collapsing arch.

Another area of degenerative arthritis that causes pain on the top of the foot is in the area of the big toe joint. Jamming of the joint will cause bone spurring to occur on the top of the foot. Pressure from the shoe can cause pain. Treatment for these conditions consists of taking oral anti-inflammatory medications and functional foot orthotics. Surgery can be an option for the degenerative arthritis about the big toe joint but tends to be of limited value for the area of the mid foot.

Generalized pain in the top of the foot that occurs in children and young adults may be due to a condition call Tarsal Coalition. This pain tends to occur on the outside portion of the top of the foot. A tarsal coalition is the abnormal fusion of two or more bones in the mid portion of the foot. It can be hereditary. It tends to get worse with activity. If not treated in its early stages it can cause significant arthritis in the foot causing a limitation in the person's activity. Early diagnosis is made using x-rays and a MRI or CT scan. Treatment is with the use of functional orthotics and on occasion surgery. Early diagnosis and treatment is very important.

Pain can also occur on the top and inside of the foot. In people who are very active in sporting activities can develop pain in this area. The pain can be due to a stress fracture of one of the bones (Navicular bone) in this area. Diagnosis can sometimes be difficult. X-rays are generally negative and if a stress fracture is present the diagnosis may require a bone scan or MRI. Treatment consists of rest with a limitation of activity, oral anti-inflammatory medications, below the knee walking casts, functional orthotics or rarely surgical exploration of the area.

Yet another area of pain on the top of the foot is just below the ankle joint on the outside portion of the top of the foot. In this area of the foot there is a small fleshy area. This fleshy area is a small muscle called the Extensor Digatorum Brevis. Underneath the muscle there is a small canal between two bones. This area is called the Sinus Tarsi. In this area there are three small ligaments that can become inflamed. A common cause of this pain is due to a flattening of the foot, which pinches these small ligaments. Sometimes there is actual jamming of two bones causing the pain.

Treatment consists of stretching the calf muscles to reduce it effect of flattening the foot, oral anti-inflammatory medication, cortisone injections, functional orthotics and occasionally surgical exploration.”

Cited from https://www.ahni.com/Specialties/Foot+and+Ankle/Articles/Common+Disorders/Pain+in+the+Top+of+the+Foo...

Honored Contributor

I'm going through similar pain.  Podiatrist said arthritis some time ago.  Orthopedist said there's some arthritis, but I'm also pronating when I walk causing tendonitis in other areas.  He's prescribed an arch support orthotic insert.  Haven't received it yet.  Hopefully it will help.

Esteemed Contributor

Please go and get this checked. Your feet are so important to keep healthy. 

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella,

Just curious as to whether you’ve been wearing any type of thong/toe loop sandal before this foot pain started.

That type of sandal is responsible for my similar foot pain.   

Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella 

I used to wear ASICS sneakers all the time. They were my favorites. Then I got a new pair that caused foot pain- just like you described. Loosening the laces helped but it was still painful. It felt like nerve pain. I think the sneakers just rubbed wrong somewhere. I quit wearing them & the pain went away. Have you tried different footwear? 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I've been dealing with thus very she foot pain for just out a year now.  Started with wearing flip flops walking in sand at a beach.   Saw a podiatrist first he stretched my calf area,  gave me inserts either helped me in fact made it worse.    Then saw a orthopedic surgeon 

last fall who told me it was extensor tendinitis and sent Me for PT  Did  continue with the exercises I was given they worked to a point then got worse so stopped.    For a few months I seemed to do better with very little pain.    Last month pain came back just as bad ,   It's like a deep sharp tight pain across the top of my foot ,  the part that bends when you walk so of course walking was painful. I just went to another ortho 2 weeks ago ,  who my primary said is one of the best ,  a hour away but worth it.   he said it was pronation with most likely a bit of arthritis and is  Sending me for an MRI to rule out anything the X-ray I had done last year may not have shown .  He also said I will have to wear insoles to stop the pronation and no flip flops which makes me sad as warm weather is coming and they are my feet go to for summer.    Also PT is not very good for this type of condition.  Funny thing is just this afternoon I injured my foot yet again rushing over to stop a glass from falling over from the counter and now I have pain at the outside ankle, going up my leg,  top of foot going towards my toes and tingling all over foot.    Thats all it takes for me to injure  my foot once again and that's why I need to get to the bottom of whats going on .   Don't want to live with watching my every move.    

Good Luck to you 😺oh one more thing as you mentioned lace up shoes,  I was told no lace up shoes as that presses on the top of the foot and will cause pain.