Esteemed Contributor

On 12/27 I had a “shallow” cavity filled.It was my first one in 40 years.The cavity was found when I went for my semi annual dental checkup.It never hurt or caused any discomfort.The Dentist advised me to fill it while it was small & problem free.DH who has a mouth full of fillings advised me to fill it too. 

I was told that after the novocaine wore off everything would be fine.Well that’s not what happened. I ended up being in horrible pain for 2 weeks.I went back to the dentist & she said everything in my mouth looked fine ,no infection. She said it was normal for some people to have pain & sensitivity after a filling!! She advised me to use ice & Advil.She said it could last weeks or months!!

Here I am 5 weeks in & I’m still in discomfort. It’s healing very slowly!!

I never had a toothache before the cavity was filled!! Has anyone ever experienced this?? My DH said he never heard of this happening.

Respected Contributor

Re: Toothache Advise Needed !!

I would get a second opinion.

Valued Contributor

Yes, it’s quite common.  My DH was a dentist and I worked in his office.  As long as there is no infection, it will settle down with time.  The composite expands and contracts but will settle.  You’ll be fine

Respected Contributor

I am not a dentist....however I have had tooth problems recently.  I had a root canal and the tooth still hurt.  It ended up that the tooth was cracked after the root canal.  So, you may want to ask your dentist to do new xrays.  You may have a cracked tooth or need a root canal.  Good Luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't say my experience is just like yours, but yes, I've had teeth take their time recovering, after dental work.

My guess would be that the nerve got rattled and is now responding reflexively at stimulus.

Of course, the disclaimer has to be made that your dentist is your best source of info here.  This has been my experience.😬

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'd consult another dentist.  I've had fillings done and redone since I was a kid ... never had any pain afterwards.

Respected Contributor

It is possible that the filling is a little high and you are hitting it. Was your bite checked? That can be very painful.

Esteemed Contributor

Rinse mouth with warm salt water 2x a day.

Honored Contributor

I'd get another opinion also.  I have a mouthful of fillings and implants and have never had pain lasting like what the OP is experiencing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your input. My dentist did check my bite & said it was fine.She also took another X-ray & that was fine too.

One thing I’ve learned is that if I ever have another cavity I will wait for it to bother me before I have it filled. I lost 4lbs over the last 5 weeks because of the discomfort.