Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Tooth Implant! Please tell me your experience getting one.

I may have to get a tooth implant on my lower missing molar.  I'm not sure I want to go through all that work and pain.  But If I don't get one, then I imagine the tooth next to it will be compromised at some point.  Right now I can only chew on the other side.

My other hesitation is the co-pay cost will be about $1400.

What did you experience?

Honored Contributor

Re: Tooth Implant! Please tell me your experience getting one.

I have a number of implants.    I didn't experience "pain".    I did have to have a bone graft, then the implant installed, and finally the tooth attached.   The process took almost a year.    I would call it "inconvenient".    The price you mention seems reasonable.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do it!  My implant is an upper front tooth, the incisor.  It wasn't painful at all except for the $3800 cost (I didn't have dental insurance).  Ouch!  

It took a few weeks, and I had to wear a temporary tooth (a 'flipper') for about 3 weeks till the implant itself was stable, but it was well worth the wait.

The biggest problem was getting the color to exactly match my other incisor.  It took several tries but it finally matched.  I babied the new implant for a few weeks but now I bite into apples, etc with no problems.

No one would ever know I had a front tooth implant!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had two implants.  Each time I chose the "pill cocktail" and it was painless.  I felt so good I didn't care what they did to me!  Lol!  Depending on the individual situation, they can sometimes do everything in one day.  On my first one, I had to wait a year for bone to regrow.  For the second one, the dentist was fairly young and wanted to wait a few weeks.  It was a molar so it didn't matter to me.

Honored Contributor

Hi Big Sister. Have you talked to your dentist about it yet? Maybe that will help you decide what to do. Of course cost is always a concern. The price you were quoted does sound like a good price. I've never had one done but checked into at one time. 

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 I spoke to my DDS briefly when I had a cleaning down last month.  I will ask to meet with him to discuss the implant more fully.

Thank you to those who have replied.

I was thinking it would be painful because he would have to cut the gum and insert a post (I think).  X-rays were done and show I have enough bone to work with, if I decide to have it done.

Frequent Contributor

Had 2 inplants....both needed bone grafts.   Someone said more inconvenient vs painful and I totally agree with that.  Both for the bone graft and in inplant , I was given pain meds .  Took one after the graft, none with the inplant.  Just a little discomfort.

Esteemed Contributor

A year ago I had an implant, upper left molar.

I lost the molar after a root canal failed & the tooth cracked. I had trouble chewing.  I had partial that I could never wear.

I had implant with bone graft.  That was not bad. First I had to have a sinus lift.  Crazy experience. I was sore for at least a week.

After 6 months I got the abutment and crown.

I have insurance, so does DH.  The only thing I paid for was the sinus lfit. Neither insurance covered it.  Abour $1500

I have considered doing it on the other side. The molar has been gone longer.  The periodontist is not sure if it would work.  Another sinus lift really freaks me out.

Honored Contributor

I have several implants (as well as bone grafts).  Most of them are way, way older than they thought the life span might be.  I've always had mine done with novocaine (even the bone grafting).  I have a great oral surgeon.  I've certainly had some discomfort for a day or two after the surgeries.  But nothing that couldn't be controlled by pain meds or tylenol.  I'd love to have even more implants done in a certain area, but sadly the bone grafts don't seem to take in that particular area of my weird mouth.  I highly recommend implants.......from a highly qualified oral surgeon.

Respected Contributor

Had two implants on lower right back area: first time it was a double with a bone graft; second time, simple implant in front of the double one.  The only discomfort was from the first one because of the length of time it took to do the work in back of mouth.  Some soup or tea eased the soreness when they were done.

While they were working on the double which needed a graft, the 

sound was the worst thing !

TIP:  don't try to be a martyr--- start the Tylenol before the treatment in order to stay ahead of the discomfort.  Otherwise, if you wait until afterwards, you will be chasing the pain which has now escalated.  It works, thank goodness !!!!!

Good luck with the procedure ---- you will be glad later when all is done.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill