Respected Contributor

Re: Took another hearing test

i'm sorry that you are so upset over this, and i'm sending along good thoughts and prayers that you are able to work your way through this and are able to get to a better place 

Respected Contributor

A friend of mine also had a hearing loss and needed hearing aids.  If you or someone you know is a Costco member, they have excellent hearing aids there in their hearing aid department at about half the price for the same hearing aids.  She is very happy and thrilled with the hearing aids she purchased from Costco.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

My husband was in denial for years about his hearing loss to the point we were barely talking because I had to yell all the time.  I told him we needed to learn sign language.

He finally went for testing and had quite a hearing loss.  He got hearing aids and then was upset he hadn't done it earlier.  He didn't realize how much he had missed.  The best thing is we can talk easily again.

If you broke your leg, you would use crutches.  If you need help to hear, get the hearing aids.  Best of luck.    

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 I'm not sure I understand why you are upset.

Are you upset because you just don't want to wear hearing aids?  Or are you upset because you are worried about how expensive they are?

I hope you are in a position to give them a try.  My Dad wore them, and was very pleased with the change they made.  

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I am scared of how they will fit and if I could lose them. I recycle and look into cans for them at a mall near me. Getting out of the house helps me. I lost weight walking and seeing people. It is hard being alone-don't drive.

Esteemed Contributor

If you need them, you need them.  Especially since you're out and about in your community.  You need to hear what's going on around you. @halfpint1 

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I guess I am scared of how they will fit and if I could lose them. I recycle and look into cans for them at a mall near me. Getting out of the house helps me. I lost weight walking and seeing people. It is hard being alone-don't drive.

@halfpint1 Could you find a little light weight cross-body, cloth small bag that you could wear all the time?  Then if you NEVER put the hearing aids down but ALWAYS put them in the bag, you would not be very likely to lose them!

Just ALWAYS put them in the little bag.  Take the bag off at night and put it on in the morning and THERE they are!  

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1   ask for instructions about how to care for them. I am sure they will give you a printed paper with  instructions

Tape it to your fridge, so you know exactly where it is ,when you need to read it..It will be OK. It is just a new experience for you. You will adjust to them

Honored Contributor

@Panda123,

I totally agree with your point, and am seeing first hand thru my mom how a dementia diagnosis impacts what the brain allows the ears to hear.   A few weeks ago I witnessed my mom being within 3 feet of her ringing house phone and not hearing it.   

@halfpint1,

If your first hearing test was the basic one done in a medical setting, and the provider feels you have normal hearing loss and he/she referred you for the specialized testing, which diagnosed severe hearing loss, then you need to look into the hearing aids.   

I would expect the cost to be $2500+ depending on the type best suited for your hearing needs.   My husband has worn hearing aids for about 6 years; the VA tests and upgrades hearing aids every 2 years, so my husband is on set #3.   He has never lost or misplaced the hearing aids, or damaged them.   The ones he has now are rechargeable, so they go on charge every night at bedtime.  The previous ones were always placed in the exact same spot every night.   

PLEASE do not deny yourself the ability to hear what is going on around you simply because you are afraid you will lose the hearing aids.  Based on what you have shared in the past, you have a history of losing items inside your house.   Establish your pattern with where you put the hearing aids from Day 1, and do not put them anywhere else.   You must keep them away from your cats, as they will chew on the plastic tubing that goes inside your ear, and replacing that gets expensive.   

Honored Contributor

I’ve been wearing hearing aids almost 14 years. Majority of my friends also wear them. I never had an issue regarding it. As far as I’m concerned they are in the same category as wearing glasses. - which I’ve been wearing for more than 70 years.