Esteemed Contributor

The woman who does my pedicures mentioned that my nails were thinking because I always kept them polished.  So last Winter I took a break from pedicures from Jan thru April; nails still looked good (kept them trimmed etc at home) and saved $150 total to boot.  I'm doing the same thing this Winter.

Respected Contributor

I am sure they age along with the rest of our parts...my toe nails still look pretty good,at almost 63. I don't wear polish any more, do myown pedis and lots of moisterizer keeps my feet looking good!

Honored Contributor
I know leaving nail polish on your toes too long can block the oxygen to the nail...resulting in white or yellow patches.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess Nails do not breath and do not need oxygen.  They are made up of dead keratin which is not a living growing body part.

Nails are like our hair and all of the growing is done at the matrix bed.

Nail polish and remover can and does dry out the nails and they can be damaged by dropping things on our feet and bumping into things.

This is a rumor about nails that need to breath has been going around for many years, so there are many people who are misinformed.  

White marks are usually caused by past injuries to the nail and yellow patches can be caused by a bevy of things....polish stains, fungi or medical problems.  You should consult a doctor if the nails become yellow and you are sure it is not polish stains.

Trusted Contributor

@blinksmom wrote:

I know that mine have aged. Dr said no infection just part of aging for some of us. I take extra care and apply almond oil or whatever I have each night. I only polish in the warmer months. Hope this helps.

This is the same for me. Toenails have become much more brittle and yellowish the past few years. No fungus, I had them checked out. Like @blinksmom, I only polish in the warmer months and leave them be in the winter. I will have to try the almond oil too.

Honored Contributor

Well, mine have aged!  What on me hasn't aged???  They are dry looking and kind of lined a bit.  They are also sort of tough to cut and brittle.  No, no fungus - thankfully!  The doctor said they are fine --- just age!  Lovely!!  I used to keep them polished all the time and my doctor said that's o.k. occasionally, but it's good to give them a break.  I moisturize my entire body faithfully and do extra on my feet and toes but does not seem to make a difference.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I just had two manicures in a row and my nails got brittle and almost all of them broke and had to be filed down (they are short anyway).  They were fine before the manicures so it has something to do with it but I have no idea what.  I think I should try using the Zoya polish next time.  

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie So what did your Dr say about your toenails at your physical? Normal aging or???

I m curious because

i had a fingernail separating from the nailbed and it would get better and worse, then it was two fingernails separating,  and last month found out from my MD that it was indeed  a fungus, and have been on oral antifungals now for 2 weeks, and have a month more to go--side effects are not serious, but bothersome..

so I am curious..my toenails are always polished snd seem yellowish when I take it foff, and they seem sort of crumbliy..not a perfect adjective, but they are just different than they were..

Wondering if the oral meds will help them too-

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@Shawnie So what did your Dr say about your toenails at your physical? Normal aging or???

I m curious because

i had a fingernail separating from the nailbed and it would get better and worse, then it was two fingernails separating,  and last month found out from my MD that it was indeed  a fungus, and have been on oral antifungals now for 2 weeks, and have a month more to go--side effects are not serious, but bothersome..

so I am curious..my toenails are always polished snd seem yellowish when I take it foff, and they seem sort of crumbliy..not a perfect adjective, but they are just different than they were..

Wondering if the oral meds will help them too-

@Mothertrucker

I wore a boot on and off for about 9 months.  I ended up with toenail fungus on my big toe.  After various OTC treatments, last January I was prescribed the generic for Lamisil, Terbinafine.  The toenail is now about 2/3 of the way grown out.  If you do have toenail fungus, the prescription may treat it.  You need to keep in mind, toenails grow very slowly.  Also the prescription does not work for everyone.