Honored Contributor

First, BIG THANK YOU to everyone who gave me hearts, tips, advice or just a kind thought after I broke my wrist a few weeks ago.  It shocked me how fast everyone was to take their personal time and wish me well and offer advice.  I put a lot into practice and you made my last three weeks much easier.  Heart    Thanks!

I was actually treated kinder by the strangers here than I was from the people who interact with me in real life.  It's amazing what you discover when you spend your entire life helping others and suddenly need help yourself for the first time.  And it doesn't come.  Smiley Sad  Not even from the person you got hurt trying to help out.  Makes some future life decisions easier I guess.

Some other lessons learned:

I can open a jar one handed in a lot of creative ways including some that may look vulgar to the outsider.  Smiley Very Happy

There is this fabulous TV show called Bonanza that was on way before my time that has Charles Ingalls, Commander Adama, Trapper John and Adam Chandler in it all at the same time.  How did I miss this all these years?  Smiley Happy

I can drive one handed just like Mario Andretti shifting the Fiat from 1st to 5th gear, no hands on the wheel, and live to tell about it.  Not saying it's safe.  Just saying it can be done when necessary.  Hence my discovery of old western tv shows to keep my butt home.  Smiley Very Happy

5 hours until freedom.  I have the exfoliator and moisturizing cream ready for my hot bath tonight.  My poor skin has been so neglected!   It will be like Christmas time with no plastic wrap on me anywhere.  And some people say that's supposed to be a good time.  Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Have a great day everyone!        

Esteemed Contributor

Today is your Independence Day. Been there, done that! No one knows how dependent we are on having that other hand to assist with chores, but we learn to manage.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy your new found freedom!!  I broke my wrist several years ago and was in a cast for five weeks, so I know exactly how you feel!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Today my wrist is free!

[ Edited ]

@Laura14, yay! Glad you got through the difficult time, sorry others failed to help, but I guess you saw their true colors. I hope that arm feels better now.

Honored Contributor

laura-----you are so cute!!! But I know how you feel--broke my wrist in Jan on icy road but didn't need a cast--had a splint as hand dr put plates and screws to hold me together. Just go easy with it for awhile--it will be needing some TLC. Yep--I grew up watching all those shows you mentioned. And I broke my left wrist, not my dominate one so many things were easier to do. I don't bounce like I used to!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 So glad to hear from you. I sincerely hope all goes well with the cast removal.  Don't panic but the saw they use to cut the cast off can be scary. It will NOT cut your skin. They know what they are doing. You might have to wear a wrist brace for a while but you can at least remove it when you need to.

And yes it is amazing what you can learn to do one handed.

Honored Contributor

What a woman!  You go girl!!Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  Laura, you are too funny.  I guess you can have a good sense of humor now that it's over.  I haven't been on here a lot lately, but I remember you well, and I remember about your love of sports cars and driving a stick shift like me.  I love my Mustang, but I too have often pondered about losing the use of one of my limbs for a period of time......as you know, it takes all four of them moving in sync to make it all happen!  

Cheers to you for driving your car with only one hand......I don't think I could do it with Mr. Mustang.  As for the jar opening.......I got a real visual on how you would do that.  I'm sure no one was watching when you opened it.....very creative of you!  Glad to hear you're on the mend   Cat Very Happy

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

Laura, are you getting physical therapy for your wrist?  My doctor prescribed it when I broke mine.  Glad you're up and around.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 Congrats on your progress and impending liberation. Wonderful!

Just writing to say you may be in for a treat once that cast is off re your skin. When my arm was finally cut out of the hard cast that ran halfway up my upper arm, my elbow was the softest it had been since I was a baby. You may find you just need to do light exfoliation and that your elbow is soft and smooth.

Good luck and let us know. Also with the PT. It can be big help in reclaiming total range of motion.