Respected Contributor

Re: To vegan or not to vegan . . .

@Drythe wrote:

One thing we DO know is that there is no one size fits all!

Yes, I for one will continue to form my own diet.

No permission needed from anyone so entirely removed from me, and lacking knowledge of my best interests.

* Perhaps if you would state your opinion just once per thread

* Or, if you didn’t speak so categorically about your theories 

* Maybe if you didn’t use such generalities - Irish eat potatoes ?

* If you didn’t insist that your opinion (and that’s what it is) is the only   possible correct one, though there are no data, or reproducible results

There would be some interesting general discussions about dietary practice on this forum.  I, for one, would enjoy that.

As it is, instead of sharing thoughts, information, knowledge, or experience, I feel we are bludgeoned by this one opinion and hounded with it if we express any another.

If the intent is conversion, the presentation style is not successful.

What a thoughtfully written post.  Reading it made me realize, we are talking about something that almost feels like harassment. 

Honored Contributor

For those interested, here's a take from a slightly different angle from Scientific American, stating that humans aren't "one-size-fits-all," as most of us already realize.

We are opportunists, taking what is available when and how we can get it, both historically and today. (I do think the title, however, is unnecessarily provocative.)

scientificamerican DOT com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat

(There are a couple of ads for pots, etc. so I had to use the DOT again.)

Small excerpt:

"We now know that humans have evolved not to subsist on a single, Paleolithic diet but to be flexible eaters, an insight that has important implications for the current debate over what people today should eat in order to be healthy," anthropologist William Leonard of Northwestern University wrote in Scientific American in 2002."

[ bold and italics are my emphasis]

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Asians definitely eat tons of rice and rice related products, and many other cultures have thrived on diets rich in grains, rice, potatoes, and other carbohydrates, so I am not sure where some of you are getting your facts from. It seems people are always looking for a quick fix or to demonize large groups of food to explain the health and obesity issues we face today.

First, rice is a side dish in most Asian culture, not the main event. Portions are small. 

Second, Japan ranks very low in amount of rice eaten. You can Google it. 

Third, as an example, people in Bangladesh eat a lot of rice (the most). Their life expectancy is around 72. Again, you can Google it. 

Wrong. Rice is the main event in many (if not most) dishes as well as rice noodles. Total food portions may be smaller overall but the proportion of rice to protein is larger.

@JJsMom 

Thank you for circling back with this.

If one Googles, ‘Is rice part of Asian culture’...

Google laughs back at you😆

Stunning to see people think it’s not part of the culture....

....and they actually believe it.

Best case? Rice has been revered in Asian culture as a symbol of

prosperity and good luck as far back as time recorded.

Worse case? Just go to any Asian-inspired restaurant on the planet...

rice will be the main starch. 

And we could go to any part of the World & pick the starch of choice. Starches are the foundation of civilizations.

Esteemed Contributor

Go to a Chinese Restaurant and you will surely get rice.  

You will also get a Chinese fortune cookie!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moving right along to a Hopefully more inclusive, open discussion of the interesting ideas mentioned in @GingerPeach  ‘s OP~

The information rings true to me for a variety of reasons.  People are opportunistic in so many ways, not just in eating habits!

Having two degenerative autoimmune diseases, I’ve learned that although I prefer not to eat animal products, my body does not fare well on a totally plant based regime.  Perhaps because it is in a cycle of rapid loss and critical replenishment.  

I lived in a highly regimented vegan society for 2 years, and had many expert teachers.  However, my body did not respond well ... my albumen level had crashed down to one when I started slowly adding other sources of protein.

What feels best to me, and is born out in a battery of lab tests run every 6 weeks is a LactoOva Vegetarian diet.  I eat a vegetable from the top, and one from under every meal except breakfast - that’s one from below ground, and one from above ground.  🤓Added to that daily is some form protein from an egg or dairy source excluding milk.

What to works best for you?  

Thank you @sidsmom 

No need to restate, or flood the thread with your creed again.

I’m not, as you say, in a state of blind, panicked resistance to yor truths, they have been scientifically disproved for me.  No need to call names, or cast aspersions 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

It never fails that you speak from the heart, whether your posts are fun or factual.  You're like @dooBdoo in that regard.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Thank you ☺️.

I think of you, @dooBdoo , and Miss Kiku as friends of the heart ♥️!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills 

@Drythe 

At a Chinese restaurant, you'll not only get rice and a cookie. 

You can  get fried rice cooked with egg, pork, chicken and/or shrimp.  You can get all kinds of dishes cooked with meat and eggs!

Eggs have been identified by some in the nutrition field  as a "perfect food"---one  that contains all essential amino acids of a complete protein, plus being low in calories, affordable in price, easy to cook, store and incorporate in other dishes.

I'll never forget a certain Ph.D nutritionist who proclaimed, back in the 1970s, that EGG EATERS LIVE LONGER.  His view was not popular at the time.

Time has proven him right to at least some extent.  Eggs have beaten their bad rap for containing "too much" cholesterol or fat, and are being featured in diets of many people at least several times a week.

And by the way, current nutrition thinking these days is that older people need MORE protein than younger people. Complete protein is key to maintaining and building  muscle mass and strength that normally can decline with age.

And as appetite declines with age, it's hard to get enough vegetable proteins in a meal or prepared  in a way that would appeal to the elderly.

So out the window goes the "one diet fits all" theory.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

For those interested, here's a take from a slightly different angle from Scientific American, stating that humans aren't "one-size-fits-all," as most of us already realize.

We are opportunists, taking what is available when and how we can get it, both historically and today. (I do think the title, however, is unnecessarily provocative.)

scientificamerican DOT com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat

(There are a couple of ads for pots, etc. so I had to use the DOT again.)

Small excerpt:

"We now know that humans have evolved not to subsist on a single, Paleolithic diet but to be flexible eaters, an insight that has important implications for the current debate over what people today should eat in order to be healthy," anthropologist William Leonard of Northwestern University wrote in Scientific American in 2002."

[ bold and italics are my emphasis]

@GingerPeach 

Thanks for posting the article.  

I read something maybe a year or so ago that also called the Paleo Diet a Fantasy.  Articles like this got me interested in reading and learning more about ancestral diets and human survival by adaptation.  

Yesterday I watched a you tube from a prominent Vegan nutritionist (British) who wanted to speak about the other elements of human life that are crucial for health other than what they eat.  It was a long list.

We do know now that there is no ONE perfect diet for everyone.  There may be a perfect diet for you or for me, but that can be quite different from the perfect diet for someone else.  Couple that with lifestyle, personal relationships, choice of work, etc, etc, and health becomes quite a complicated subject.

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to add that I have much respect for those who follow a vegan lifestyle out of a desire to eliminate animal suffering.  I applaud that.

While a very large percentage of my diet is "plants", I am not following a vegan or a 100% plant based diet, which I did for a year and a half.  I followed it until my health and my life were being negatively impacted.  I lost too miuch weight, had digestive dysfunction, and was exhausted.  I am in the process of regaining my digestive health.