Honored Contributor

Re: To those who have a treadmill you love

I bought a treadmill years ago from a sporting goods store.  I tried lots of different ones, and they all felt different.  I highly recommend going into a store and trying them out before ordering one.  What suits one person may not suit you.  If you didn't like it, it would be extremely hard to return it.  I finally quit using mine and gave it to my sister.  She and her husband use it all the time, and it still works great.  I don't remember what brand it is.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I got my simple Horizon from HSN and have had it about ten years with no problems.

A treadmill is important to me, use daily, and not something to hang clothes on.

@SeaMaiden, I got it from HSN with one of their 20% off coupons. That was a steal with the treadmill being about $600.

Honored Contributor

I have an Ironman Fitness professional treadmill that I got from Costco many years ago. We paid a pretty penny for it but I've used it since. It works like iron! I would never get a cheapie treadmill because you get what you paid for when it comes to exercise equipment in my experience. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

A neighbor just offered me her treadmill she no longer wants FOR FREE!  Will look into it this coming weekend... Hope this works out for me.  Take it off her hands and have a treadmill for next winter for free Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a middle-of-the-line NordicTrack. I love my treadmill. Mine is in the basement; we had the old treadmill in our bedroom, but DH was afraid I'd end up going through the floor as I really fly on it. When we bought the new one, we put it in the basement.

I get up in the morning at 4:45. Feed the cats and then go downstairs and hit the treadmill for 4 miles. Some days, when I feel lazy or if something hurts (a knee or a foot or if I have a headache), I walk. Some days I run. Some days I fly. I use my iPod and listen to AC/CD, Aerosmith, Dire Straits, Prince, etc. The music blares through the basement because I don't use ear buds on my morning walk (I do use them when I'm out walking at lunch.) 

I really love the treadmill!

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

A neighbor just offered me her treadmill she no longer wants FOR FREE!  Will look into it this coming weekend... Hope this works out for me.  Take it off her hands and have a treadmill for next winter for free Smiley Happy

@SeaMaiden how nice. That will save you some money and you will get a good idea of what like or need, want in a treadmill. And best no slipping on ice.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I have an Ironman Fitness professional treadmill that I got from Costco many years ago. We paid a pretty penny for it but I've used it since. It works like iron! I would never get a cheapie treadmill because you get what you paid for when it comes to exercise equipment in my experience. 

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2

Therein lies my meaning of "serious use" when it comes to a treadmill, or any other piece of exercise machinery. When it comes to treadmills, I would never buy one with a belt size of less than 55"X20", or less than a 3.0chp rating. And my workouts no longer include running, just plain old hard interval training at differing speeds and elevations.

As for many decades now, my workouts are decided by my heart rate and oxygen saturation on that specifics days basis. Unbeknownst to many, it varies like the wind, and knowing and understanding this, can make everyone's workouts more beneficial. Not knowing it can, and does, just the opposite.

Bells and whistles for me are a waste of time and money on a treadmill. Nobody knows how a person feels on a specific day, even many that are doing the exercise, do not really know without actual knowledge of how the most important muscle in training (which is the heart muscle), and in life, is functioning at that specific time.

Many do not really understand what being truly "physically fit", actually means. It does not mean being able to do more, or to do something faster, or both combined. That is what the majority, even athletes, mistakenly use to measure their physical fitness. The only time that is true is when a person is doing a Maximal Stress Test, usually on a treadmill, while hooked up completely to a Specific Pulmonary Vo2 Recording Machine. Max Vo2 or oxygen uptake are the terminologies.

I am also in the camp of "you get what you pay for", when it comes to serious use of any exercise machinery.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  You are so right about getting what you pay for when It comes to exercise equipment.

Esteemed Contributor

I do an hour a day, six days a week on my treadmill.  Got it at Sears years ago.  Ran about 1000

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition wrote:

I do an hour a day, six days a week on my treadmill.  Got it at Sears years ago.  Ran about 1000

@qvcaddition

Now that is what I call commitment. The only times I did that much on my treadmills was when I was training for a specific distance/time and speed Road Race. Even then I changed up from my treadmill to outside running 1 day, minimum, a week.

My treadmill workouts, then and now, are never the same. Changing it every time I use it to keep the muscles from acclimating to the same repetitious movements. Up/down/faster/slower, keeps them using different contained fibers, and also expands that number of fibers.

Right now ice skating is my primary goal, thus I skate as often as it is available, for at least 90 minutes. I keep changing from speed intervals to "kinda easy" skating. This I do to the music beat being played over their PA system. Last week I skated  4 days and I hopefully can skate 3 days this week. I still come home and do upper body work on my Bowflex/Invert, and also 12-17 minutes of strictly abdominal strengthening exercises, some on my Teeter Inversion Table.

Feeling great right now and want to keep that feeling as long as I possibly am able. No short cuts, just things I know that have work for me in past decades, and still seem to be very effective. I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" person, for the most part.

Keep on keeping on as it sounds like your program is working for you. Glad you added your positive comment about treadmills to this @SeaMaiden thread.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)