Respected Contributor

Re: To QVC Moderator is possible to have two seperate forums in Health?

On 1/27/2015 ValuSkr said:

I wonder what the difference is between Traditional topics and Longevity topics. The latter would be oriented toward seniors??

and those headed that way...

Means the choices one makes today have an impact on tomorrow...

And we are living longer where would many want to end up in a nursing home on the domino tread mill or out enjoying their golden years!

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 chickenbutt said:

One good way to have the conversations you prefer is to start your own board. I'm not up to date on this, but it's very easy and there are numerous venues. That way it's 'your board, your rules' and you can have forums as you like them.

This board is a pretty broad base and, truth be told, I don't even think they care that much about it beyond what they can cull for their own retail-related use. NTTAWWT. So, chances are pretty slim they could give one whit what extraneous sub-forums anybody wants.

Hi, chickie! I agree with you. If someone wants control, a forum of their own is the answer. And QVC's a business, and obviously basically interested in using the community to support their sales.

As for health-related issues, I still contend that QVC needs to be more careful about what they allow here in the way of medical advice. I've seen some outrageous, dangerous diagnosing and prescribing on some of the threads.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

That organization you reference is a private non-profit organization They have their own website ... ask them to start a forum.

ETA: they have their own blog.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Kathleen said:

That organization you reference is a private non-profit organization They have their own website ... ask them to start a forum.

ETA: they have their own blog.

Good point, Kathleen.Smile

They have a community forum of their own, open to everyone:

WHN Forum

link goes to: http://www.worldhealth.net/forum/show/1/worldhealth-net/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 javala said:
On 1/27/2015 brii said:

javala, they will still follow you to your threads...

This will allow us to respect each others POV by each having their own space.

Maybe a forum that specifically supports your POV would be better suited for you than having QVC designate a forum for what you're looking for.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:

One good way to have the conversations you prefer is to start your own board. I'm not up to date on this, but it's very easy and there are numerous venues. That way it's 'your board, your rules' and you can have forums as you like them.

This board is a pretty broad base and, truth be told, I don't even think they care that much about it beyond what they can cull for their own retail-related use. NTTAWWT. So, chances are pretty slim they could give one whit what extraneous sub-forums anybody wants.

Hi, chickie! I agree with you. If someone wants control, a forum of their own is the answer. And QVC's a business, and obviously basically interested in using the community to support their sales.

As for health-related issues, I still contend that QVC needs to be more careful about what they allow here in the way of medical advice. I've seen some outrageous, dangerous diagnosing and prescribing on some of the threads.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

As usual, dooB, you make good points. I've seen some pretty questionable advice posted on this board, in various forums, and that's scary. There are always people who will believe anything they see in print.

It was NOT dangerous - but I have to admit to stupidly believing somebody here that taking diphenhydramine would be helpful with restless legs at night and I tried it one night. Holy Krap, Batman! It made it 10 times worse. I was later to learn that, yes, it WILL make it worse. I blame myself for believing it, but that doesn't change the fact that it can be dangerous to give advice for which one has no credential or even knowledge base for giving.

I can't tell you how many times I've read threads where posters have advised others to use PEROXIDE topically or orally! Yeah, BLEACH! Turned out they meant hydrogen peroxide - something entirely different. I remember one post several years ago here where a poster responded 'oh good, I just dyed my hair and have some peroxide left so I'll have to try it'. YIKES!

Respected Contributor

How old do you propose you have to be to qualify to post in a 'Longevity' forum?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:

As usual, dooB, you make good points. I've seen some pretty questionable advice posted on this board, in various forums, and that's scary. There are always people who will believe anything they see in print.

It was NOT dangerous - but I have to admit to stupidly believing somebody here that taking diphenhydramine would be helpful with restless legs at night and I tried it one night. Holy Krap, Batman! It made it 10 times worse. I was later to learn that, yes, it WILL make it worse. I blame myself for believing it, but that doesn't change the fact that it can be dangerous to give advice for which one has no credential or even knowledge base for giving.

I can't tell you how many times I've read threads where posters have advised others to use PEROXIDE topically or orally! Yeah, BLEACH! Turned out they meant hydrogen peroxide - something entirely different. I remember one post several years ago here where a poster responded 'oh good, I just dyed my hair and have some peroxide left so I'll have to try it'. YIKES!

Thanks!

Hah!{#emotions_dlg.laugh} You did make me laugh out loud!

I've definitely seen dangerous advice, particularly about meds and treatments, and I've seen posters who take the advice and counsel as gospel and say they're going to follow what was said. Really some hair-raising stuff.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Bad things can happen as a result, and an anonymous poster named [ABCDJaneDoe] will not be there with help and support if something does go wrong.

Respected Contributor

This is a good example and make my point the rest of us get shut out by those have no tolerance for others who do not think like you do, so talk about being cliquish, that is what the rest of us have ever experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoyed reading the world health net site this morning. Saved to my favorites. Thank you!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau