Contributor

Re: Tips on dealing with MENOPAUSE and husbands

I knew a man that received hormone therapy for prostate cancer. He started getting hot flashes and finally told us, he got it.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/1/2015 Clover29 said:

I'm 53. My last period was in June (went from normal monthly to just stopping dead). I haven't had any other symptoms. I don't have anything to explain

Same here. No symptoms and I am 10 yrs. older. I have known some people who really suffered.

Super Contributor

I just turned 50 and believe am experiencing a few small symptoms.....my DH "scoffs" at times and uses humor when I complain or make comments about menopause lurking in my near future. Does he just think I make this stuff up?! LOL! He just doesn't get it. Or....sometimes he gets that deer in the headlights look, sort of like he want to run far, far away! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I remember sitting in a restaurant - sweat pouring off of my face and back of my neck - and my darling husband telling me it was my imagination. No they do not get it. A$$holes. How to deal - read 'em the riot act.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/2/2015 Frannie said:

I remember sitting in a restaurant - sweat pouring off of my face and back of my neck - and my darling husband telling me it was my imagination. No they do not get it. A$$holes. How to deal - read 'em the riot act.

I am sorry but your comment made me laugh. Menopause is no laughing matter..you are right some men will never get it!
Respected Contributor

It's the Pitts I tell you, I just went through surgery to have uterine fibroids removed, maybe because of estrogen from taking hormones.... I don't know. I know this, I can't stop taking estrogen and go back to night sweats, lousy sleep, drenching hot flashes, and all that jazz. DH tries to be sympathetic but he doesn't get it.
Super Contributor

I just bluntly tell him Its like going through PMS all month. Not something drastically controllable that a pill will completely handle. I tell him when its over we'll both feel better trust me but to hang in there with me and continue to have patience. So far so good. Its amazing what the truth will do. Also, when I feel myself too hormonal I do retreat to a degree to not say or do anything too unpleasant in a snap of hormonal behavior.

Honored Contributor

If you have an understanding husband, then you are blessed. I had a horrible time every month before I went into meno. I always felt horrible -- so sick --- headache, sick to my stomach, weak, bad pain, hurt all over, tired ---- so, my husband knew that when this happened, he had to give me a wide berth!

So, of course, I did not go into meno easily either. Peri-meno was horrible also. I have had terrible hot flashes, headaches, mush for brain, irritability, etc., etc., and now about 8 years later still suffer from many of these symptoms. They have lessened but not enough!

My husband tries to understand, but I know he can't really comprehend the full extent of it and how much it really affects a woman. He probably thinks I am exaggerating but in fact, I try to down play it as much as possible.

Show him well written articles and ask him to read them. I mean, you have good reasons for feeling the way you do.

Hopefully, he will try and get it as much as men can really get it!!! Best of luck!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Now that I'm in menopause I am totally unsymptomatic. I used to be much more moody and obstinate while having my monthlys. My dh is delighted that those monthly mood swings are long gone... never to return! ChaChing for menopause!!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

My husband tried to be understanding but did not get the full import of what I was going through. I was fortunate that I didn't have the mood swings or forgetfulness but the hot flashes were bad. I worked as a university advisor for over 30 years in upstate NY. The hot flashes were driving me nuts one freezing February day so I opened the window. A male student walked into my office and asked me why I had the window open on such a cold day. My response..."Ask your mother." My assistant almost fell off her chair, she was laughing that much.