Trusted Contributor

Have you been diagnosed with tinnitus? Not all ear noise is tinnitus. If it is a "whooshing" sound, it could be intercranial hypertension, or IH. Very important to rule that out...many drs don't even know what it is. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@DrKelli wrote:

I have it when I take out my hearing aid, so obviously at night--thankfully I only have it in one ear (the hearing aid ear).  If I put that side down on the pillow, it seems to help.

I don't really have any suggestions, just wanted to let you know what I do that helps.  You might try those soft ear plugs?

@DrKelli 

I hope you don't mind my asking, but is it common to take the hearing aid out at night?  Is it more comfortable without it in? 

Reason I ask, I'm going back to my ENT to try out hearing aids in a few weeks.  I guess I'm hoping they won't *bug* me/be uncomfortable.  I only need one for one ear.  Thanks in advance.

@Lucky Charm, I am not @DrKelli, but I hope it's ok for me to chime in. Yes, hearing aids are removed when you sleep, bathe, wash and blow dry your hair.  After being in one's ears all day, the ear gets moist so the aids can get a build up of moisture, which over time can cause internal damage to the wiring.  In order to properly cared for the aids, they should go in a specially made drying box at night. If you need a recommendation, let me know.  Doing this every night will help the equipment last longer. Hearing aids are expensive so we need to protect our investment. In addition to that, the part of the aid that goes in the ear has a type of filter that collects wax, know as a wax guard.  These need to be replaced regularly in order for the aid to work correctly. If it gets filled with wax, the aid will stop working, even if you put a fresh battery in. Your audiologist will tell you which kind to get, based on the type/brand of hearing aid you buy.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Lucky Charm, I am not @DrKelli, but I hope it's ok for me to chime in. Yes, hearing aids are removed when you sleep, bathe, wash and blow dry your hair.  After being in one's ears all day, the ear gets moist so the aids can get a build up of moisture, which over time can cause internal damage to the wiring.  In order to properly cared for they aids, they should go in a specially made drying box at night. If you need a recommendation, let me know.  Doing this every night will help the equipment last longer. Hearing aids are expensive so we need to protect our investment. In addition to that, the part of the aid that goes in the ear has a type of filter that collects wax, know as a wax guard.  These need to be replaced regularly in order for the aid to work correctly. If it gets filled with wax, the aid will stop working, even if you out a fresh battery in. Your audiologist will tell you which kind to get, based on the type/brand of hearing aid you buy.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Wow I had no idea about showering/shampooing.  I'm in and out of the shower several times a day about 6 months of the year (saltwater swimming). 

I may have to pretty much forego that, if I'm unable to wear my hearing aid on the beach.  Even if I don't go in the water, I still shower afterwards.  That bums me out.

Is it bad to take it out a couple times a day for activities?  Or isn't that practical?  I go back in Jan about the different hearing aids, of course I'll ask, but it can't hurt to ask anyone here who is familiar with them.

Thanks so much for answering.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Lucky Charm, I am not @DrKelli, but I hope it's ok for me to chime in. Yes, hearing aids are removed when you sleep, bathe, wash and blow dry your hair.  After being in one's ears all day, the ear gets moist so the aids can get a build up of moisture, which over time can cause internal damage to the wiring.  In order to properly cared for they aids, they should go in a specially made drying box at night. If you need a recommendation, let me know.  Doing this every night will help the equipment last longer. Hearing aids are expensive so we need to protect our investment. In addition to that, the part of the aid that goes in the ear has a type of filter that collects wax, know as a wax guard.  These need to be replaced regularly in order for the aid to work correctly. If it gets filled with wax, the aid will stop working, even if you out a fresh battery in. Your audiologist will tell you which kind to get, based on the type/brand of hearing aid you buy.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Wow I had no idea about showering/shampooing.  I'm in and out of the shower several times a day about 6 months of the year (saltwater swimming). 

I may have to pretty much forego that, if I'm unable to wear my hearing aid on the beach.  Even if I don't go in the water, I still shower afterwards.  That bums me out.

Is it bad to take it out a couple times a day for activities?  Or isn't that practical?  I go back in Jan about the different hearing aids, of course I'll ask, but it can't hurt to ask anyone here who is familiar with them.

@Lucky Charm  It's all about hearing better and protecting the equipment at the same time.  If you're going to be on the beach, leave them in as you're relaxing, but remove them and store them in a protective case, and in your beach bag, when you go in the water, even if you're just going to splash around and not actually swim.  Dry yourself off well (hands, hair, ear area) before handling them and putting them back in again.  Repeatedly taking them out and putting them back in may end up becoming annoying or monotonous for you. I can understand wanting to enjoy the beach, but consistency is also important when wearing your aids in order to become accustomed to them and allowing them to do their job.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

@Lucky Charm  It's all about hearing better and protecting the equipment at the same time.  If you're going to be on the beach, leave them in as you're relaxing, but remove them and store them in a protective case, and in your beach bag, when you go in the water, Eve if you're just going to splash around and not actually swim.  Dry yourself off well (hands, hair, ear area) before handling them and putting them back in again.  Repeatedly taking them out and putting them back in may end up becoming annoying or monotonous for you. I can understand wanting to enjoy the beach, but consistency is also important when wearing your aids in order to become accustomed to them and allowing them to do their job.  

@JeanLouiseFinch Thanks so much for your replies!  

Respected Contributor

My audiologist told me about one of her patients who did sleep with hearing aids so that she could hear her children. 

She would have to leave them out few hours in the AM for recharging.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm @Yes, you are supposed to take them out at night. If your aid is uncomfortable, they can also change the 'tip'. I only wear one too and it does take some time to get used to it, but I don't even notice it most of the time.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

My audiologist told me about one of her patients who did sleep with hearing aids so that she could hear her children. 

She would have to leave them out few hours in the AM for recharging.

This sounds crazy, but I want to *change* to sleep on the other side of the bed and I watch TV in bed, so I'll fall asleep on my good ear. 

I was hoping to be able to keep the hearing aid in so I don't need to turn up the volume.  This is going to take some getting used to in all aspects of my life.  I'll just have to adjust!

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@Lucky Charm @Yes, you are supposed to take them out at night. If your aid is uncomfortable, they can also change the 'tip'. I only wear one too and it does take some time to get used to it, but I don't even notice it most of the time.

@DrKelli 

I'm hoping it won't be too much of a difference.  I'm so used to wearing ear plugs to drown out noise when I do yard work that I keep them in and forget about them.

But I'm also the kind of person who takes off all jewelry as soon as I walk in the door, earrings, bracelets, even my wedding bands!  I find it uncomfortable....My paternal grandmother was *hard of hearing* at a very early age and never wore her hearing aid(s)....probably for the same reason.  This was decades ago, I do realize they have perfected them, somewhat.

Thank you for your reply.  This is such a huge step for me, but I'm very positive about it.  I can't believe I'm excitedly telling people that I'm getting a hearing aid.  After years of me saying "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you, can you say that again".  The masks have made it even harder and so many times when I ask someone to repeat, they say 'It's okay--it's the mask' and finally I thought...no, it's not....and here I am....

Esteemed Contributor

Just saw this post.  I have had sudden hearing loss with Tinnitus.  Left ear but with treatment to my a rountine MRI. Needless to say I am a bit scared.  

I really don't want hearing aids.  Not wanting anyone to know I have them.  And they tend to be very expensive.