Honored Contributor

Thyroid question for people who take Armour Thyroid

First let me say that I have doctor's input on this question. We have been having severely, brutally cold weather where I live, and my thyroid problems seem much, much worse during this weather. At my last Dr.'s visit, I asked if I could bump my dose about 7 mg, and he said to try it and see how I felt. Have any of you discussed this with your medical advisors and tried it? I will definitely return to my lower dose when the weather gets a little more moderate, but I do seem to feel better right now with the slightly higher does.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Thyroid question for people who take Armour Thyroid

An increase in the amount of thyroid medication that a person takes seems to be pretty common in the winter, see #1 on the list.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/winterizing.htm

Trusted Contributor

I have had a complete thyroidectomy due to cancer. My endocrinologist told me that synthetic thyroid hormone stays in the body for a long time so it's no big emergency if you forget a dose-don't double up on your next dose, just take the regular dose next day. Too much thyroid hormone can cause heart arrhythmias and other problems. In other words, it's best to have the proper dosage BUT it's safer to go with a smaller dosage than too large a dose in a pinch.

Even without a thyroid gland, other glands produce some thyroid hormone. Just the same way that women still produce some estrogen without ovaries and even testosterone! Nature's back up plan!

BTW: It's important to remember that artificial thyroid hormone is measured in MCG, (micrograms) not MG, (milligrams).

Contributor

I have been taking this medication in for 14 years and had a had no problems. I am 65
Trusted Contributor

My doctor won't raise my dosage even though I suffer a lot in the winter months with hypo symptoms. My weight has fluctuated something terrible. Falling asleep during the day, not like me at all. One doctor once said that it should actually be better in the winter because the body's metabolism raises to compensate the cold. Well, my body does the exact opposite!

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I am VERY fortunate to entrust my care to an endo that "treats people, not number scores", but of course it can be difficult to get appointments during the winter, so I see my internist more. Thank you all for your valuable input.
Contributor

Violann - you are right! A good endo will know that in the winter, you will likely need an up dose in meds if you live in an especially cold climate. I take NatureThroid and live in a moderate climate (eastern NC) and haven't need a change for the cold. Mary Shomon discusses this on her about.thyroid.com site. She lives in VA and the winter is cold enough there for her to need a bump in winter too. 7 mcg seems awfully small, though. I always needed a 1/2 grain more or less to feel some change in symptoms. You might also look into supplemental T3 if you are still feeling sluggish. I don't convert the T4 in the meds well and need the extra boost from the T3. It's helped tremendously in making me feel normal again. Good luck to you! The thyroid is no joke - it's a tricky one to get straight!
Regular Contributor

I will be having a total thyroidectomy in a few weeks. FNA was inconclusive so they don't know if it is cancer or not.

What I am wondering is are there any major side effects from the thyroid hormones?

I asked a friend and she said ""It made me fat!""

When is the best time to take it and what is the best to take?

I would appreciate any other information on the subject as well.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

There are no real side effects with thyroid hormone replacement, because they are used to give your body something it should have but for whatever reason, doesn't have. Replacing the hormone you need will make you thinner, not fatter. Some people feel better taking synthetic hormone replacement like synthroid, and some do better taking natural hormone like armour thyroid, that I take. I take mine with water when I wake up in the morning. Your doctor will want you to have blood work periodically to be sure your hormone levels are within certain number ranges. A good doctor will also track your symptoms as well, to be sure that your numbers and your symptoms are working together. I have nodular thyroid, so I also have an ultrasound once/year and a biopsy every 18 months or so.
Trusted Contributor

I had a total thyroidectomy for papillary cancer. I was hoarse for several days post op. I had to go on an iodine restrictive diet for a month and then had a radio active iodine capsule to kill any remaining thyroid tissue. Several scans, also. It takes awhile to get your synthetic hormone regulated. I have to take mine in the morning on an empty stomach. If you take too much it can cause heart problems. No weight gain. The doctor told me to always take the same brand, as they can differ.