Honored Contributor

Re: Thyroid Testing Yesterday 12/29

@January121 wrote:

I said a prayer for you .... everything will be OK & the New Year will be happy & healthy! ❤️❤️

Thank you, @January121   That means a lot to me Heart

Honored Contributor

Happy New Year to you, also, @meallen616

Heart

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

Wishing HOPE and HEALTH to all my Thyroid Sisters!

I want to share a few things I’ve learned about thyroid care since I was diagnosed many years ago.

For several years, I received thyroid “care” from “the best doctor in the area” who was a nasty little troll who MADE FUN OF ME, did unnecessary tests and refused to tell me why, and never responded to my questions or concerns about how terrible I was feeling.

When I finally admitted to my internist that I felt as though the troll was wasting my time, he sent me to a fine, compassionate replacement who actually HELPS ME.

Although there are actual medicines that are sometimes used in thyroid care, both Armour and levothyroxine are REPLACEMENTS for what your thyroid gland is not producing on its own. Just as diabetics sometimes need insulin, people who are hypothyroid sometimes need thyroid hormone REPLACEMENT. The amount of thyroid hormone that you need to feel well varies from patient to patient. Your “number” is a partial indicator of how much you need.

If your care plan is not explained to you by your thyroid doctor, ASK QUESTIONS UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO AND WHY. 

This is is a lousy, poorly understood chronic condition, and ALL OF US deserve the best carepossible.

SO SORRY Noel that you had such a nasty experience, and major hopes that your New Year is a much better place for you. 

Thank you so much, @violann  Heart

I think it's been a combination of all I've gone through in 2017.  I was hurt in an accident months ago.  My husband was ill and fell on me.  I was in the hospital for two days and then in a walker with a damaged knee for about two months.  Right after that I got the flu and was in the hospital for five days and sick for quite awhile after.  I'd had a concussion from the fall and the CT scan caught the nodule. 

One thing after another for the better part of a year.  I keep trying to get on the other side Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

One more thing.  So I just met with my thyroid Dr.  He (once again) said no generic thyroid medicine, only Synthroid.

I've met many people on thyroid medicine and they all said their Dr's told them the same thing.  

So, if any of you are on the generic thyroid medicine you might want to ask your Dr about taking it.

About my daughter and the huge growth, to this day it seems so strange that this massive thing was in her neck and sinus cavity.

She did say that (as an avid hiker, skier and so on, she was beginning to notice difficulty keeping up with her boyfriend.  She said she felt like it was more difficult to breathe.

Anyway, a few weeks after the operation she went hiking with her boyfriend and (her words), "It was like I was being pumped oxygen into my body".  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

One more thing.  So I just met with my thyroid Dr.  He (once again) said no generic thyroid medicine, only Synthroid.

I've met many people on thyroid medicine and they all said their Dr's told them the same thing.  

So, if any of you are on the generic thyroid medicine you might want to ask your Dr about taking it.

About my daughter and the huge growth, to this day it seems so strange that this massive thing was in her neck and sinus cavity.

She did say that (as an avid hiker, skier and so on, she was beginning to notice difficulty keeping up with her boyfriend.  She said she felt like it was more difficult to breathe.

Anyway, a few weeks after the operation she went hiking with her boyfriend and (her words), "It was like I was being pumped oxygen into my body".  Ha!

That's wonderful @Annabellethecat66  I'm so glad to hear that.  I'm not on anything yet, they just discovered it recently and want the tests and CT scan to see if there's any growth.  I'll get the results soon and see my doctor next Friday.  I assume a plan will be in place by then.

I didn't realize thyroid was such a common problem for women, now I see it mentioned everywhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to thank everyone again for their support.

@Trinity11and @cherry  Thank you both for your support and advice.  I have a referral to an endocrinologist.  My MD said they will explore Hashimotos first, I have so many of the symptoms. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7     I have taken Synthroid and  Levothoroxine( sp) both, and they both made me deathy ill

With Armour I don't even feel like I am taking anything

Best luck to you. My Dr told me diabetes, and thyroid ,and bipolar problems, are all inter related . I have 2 of the 3. They are finding out more things all the time about how our bodies work.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

I see I got your Trinity number wrong, I apologize Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Noel7     I have taken Synthroid and  Levothoroxine( sp) both, and they both made me deathy ill

With Armour I don't even feel like I am taking anything

Best luck to you. My Dr told me diabetes, and thyroid ,and bipolar problems, are all inter related . I have 2 of the 3. They are finding out more things all the time about how our bodies work.

Hi @cherry

Thank you, I'm going to write that down to take to the appointment with me.  I was telling DH this morning you had given me information about the meds.

I don't know if there are meds for Hashimotos if that's what it is.  It sure sounds like it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Trinity11

I see I got your Trinity number wrong, I apologize Smiley Happy

@Noel7...keep us posted how you are doing. My DX was Hashimoto's with multi-nodular goiter. My TSH was elevated to 9 and I had 2000 for my anti-body test. 25 mg of levothyroxine every morning.