Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts on being a sugar addict

It's not just candy, ice cream and sweets that are loaded with sugar.  All the white food converts to sugar in the system.  Many fruits are loaded with sugar as well.  

So, I'm a carb addict.  I'm addicted to bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.......  If I start there's no stopping me.

Honored Contributor

I have a tooth for sweet but can satisfy it with sugar free options...monk fruit and stevia.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am a sugar addict!  I have to fight it every day.  It's so hard!  I wonder -- does anyone else have this issue?  I have always had a huge sweet tooth from as far back as I can remember.  

People say --- just eat one small piece of chocolate -- just eat one little cookie --- this will satisfy you and you will forget about it.  No --- not for me.  If I get one taste, then I get even worse and I seem to really lose control.

I am now back to trying to lose some lbs. I gained --- again.  Not a ton of weight -- 15 lbs. -- but enough to make me unhappy.  My whole problem is the consumption of sugar -- all the unhealthy things --- which I know darn well I should not eat.  I try making substitutions but this doesn't satisfy me.  

It takes every single bit of my willpower all day long, each and every day.  I know for one thing, it's a bit easier if these treats are not in the house.  However, they are in the house because DH enjoys them.  I cann't forbid him to have them and eat them just because I have an issue with them.

Does anyone else here have a sugar issue and if so i-- does it ever get any easier?  

Please don't hit me with the hammer with your comments  -- I am aware this is terribly unhealthy and I am trying very hard.

Other than the sugar thing, my diet is really pretty healthy.

Thanks and I look forward to your posts. 

@AngelPuppy1   I can totally relate but I will share what works for me.....even though you mention that having just one little piece makes it worse.  And others have mentioned something similar, also.

I don't deprive myself of anything.  That way I don't act like I have to eat it all today because "the diet starts tomorrow." I will have a donut, say.....a full size donut.  After 20 minutes, I'm not craving the other 11 in the dozen.  I will buy candy in a multi pack and just have one bar.  So I have my allotment for the day and I can look forward to my allotment tomorrow.

Same thing works for other foods.  When I'm craving potato chips, I will have one small bag, the kind you put in kid's lunches.  Or an ice cream cone.  It works best for me to buy these tempting types of food in single serving portions.  Even though they may cost a little more, I like the fact that you can literally read the calorie content on each bag.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Your post has my name all over it.  

My Oncologist suggested I try and eat 3-4 servings of vegetables and fruits at each meal and to avoid processed foods.  I like vegetables so I eat more vegetables than fruits. This suggestion has helped me eat better.  I think the key is avoiding sugar in the obvious foods but also in the processed foods. Processed foods have hidden sugar that will trigger your craving. After I greatly reduced my intake of sugar, my body and mind didn't crave it as much and that felt so good.  Now, I can have something sweet without going into a sugar binge.  I hope my experience helps.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone else here have a sugar issue and if so i-- does it ever get any easier?  

@AngelPuppy1 

I'm not a sugar addict but thought like advice you've heard, one piece of chocolate daily doesn't hurt.

My doc said lose 10lbs and you'll be off your BP meds and he was right it worked.  I figured the only way to do that was to follow pretty much no to minimal sugar & carbs lifestyle like David Venable who inspired me to try it.  Not only do I feel much better with almost no sugar - coffeemate with coffee - I don't miss it because my body reminds me every day how much better I feel.  Low to no joint inflamation, more energy and better sleep which I didn't think was possible as no issues before with either one.  Shocked there was such an increase in well being.  

I've come to the conclusion that sugar & carbs really can hinder a persons' health at least for me, glad I took the steps.

Let us know what you decide, and all the best to you! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What helped me not crave sugar was making sure I had a balanced diet every day.  If I get enough protein, carbs, fiber, veggies, calcium, fat, and other things that make a balanced diet with good variety, I just don't crave sugar as I did.  I record everything I eat. And it all helps. 

Honored Contributor

Yes I am, and I don't lose sleep over it.  I'm nearly 67 years old with less days ahead of me than behind me.  Each day I wake up is a gift meant for me to enjoy, and for me that means no stressing and analyzing every single thing I eat.   I intend to live and be happy with myself as I am.   

Respected Contributor

Absolutely! The cravings are insane at times. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  I'm not so much a dessert fan, except for a piece of chocolate occasionally, and maybe some holiday treats. I have to have pumpkin pie, at least once. But, give me fresh bread, crackers, rice, or pasta and I can gorge. They are satiating, comfort foods.

These carbs trigger about the same thing 'sugar' wise. They've always been my downfall, eating very healthy, otherwise. 

What cured me was an A1c a fraction away from Type 2 diabetes. My PCP handed me a script, with caution. I threw it away. I knew what the culprit was. Usually, we all do :-).

Sometimes we have to have a strong motivator. Diabetes is a good one. I ditched the white carbs and it wasn't long until I dropped my A1c to normal range 5.5. I've maintained it for the last two years. 

With any addiction, we have to ask ourselves if failing to resist is worth it for destroying our health. We can't use denial believing it won't hurt us, that we have some magical protection. We don't.

The magic lives in our choices. It's a mind over matter thing that almost anyone can master. It's a bear in the beginning, but it does get easier over time for those dedicated to the change. Changing old habits, or addictions takes time. Case in point: I no longer crave whitecarbss, at all, enjoying whole grain alternatives.

You've recognized this is a problem. That's the key to change. I've no doubt you can do this. If you slide, just get right back on your sugar avoidance plan the next day. Eventually those days will be further apart. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I love sweets too!

My best suggestion is don't buy the sweets, candy, ice cream, etc. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it. Avoid those isles in the stores. Substitute fresh fruit when you have a craving or as an after meal treat. I find that helps me a lot. 

If your husband is still going to have sugary treats in the house, then my suggestion is to put all 'his stuff" in one cabinet or place so you don't have to look at it. Avoid that cabinet. My husband still likes to snack after dinner while watching TV, but I gave it up many years ago. At first it was difficult seeing him eat in front of me, but now it doesn't bother me at all. 

As far as it getting easier to resist...

I'm not an expert on the biology of sugar addiction. I always give up candy and sweets for Lent, and I find it starts out tough, but gets easier the longer I go without. I also really enjoy & appreciate the sweets I do eat after my "fast" is over. Sometimes I think we mindlessly stuff ourselves with whatever foods we love, and don't really focus on enjoying the treat or food. 

I don't deprive myself completely of sweets. I'm trying to only have candy in the house for major holidays like Valentines Day, Easter, Halloween, and Christmas. I treat myself to my favorite desserts and candies during holidays and for my birthday. 

Good luck!