Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts on being a sugar addict

I read about an experiment done with mice who were addicted to cocaine. They were then given the choice between cocaine and sugar....they went for the sugar. This is a real thing .

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to be a "sugar addict".  Knowing that the more you eat sugar, the more you'll crave it because of insulin surges, then sugar crashes, I was able to conquer my addiction by reserving one day a week for junk. When I'm "good" all week, I can look forward to the reward at the end of the week.  It may not be the healthiest solution, but it's sure better than eating junk every day of the week.  I dropped a nice amount of weight and feel so much more energetic.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are several people in the field of addiction who might be helpful.  I often find them very insightful and much of what they say may click (or not) with you.  As someone else alluded to, some people can drink alcohol -- but for some, even a sip is too much.  

I often here the term processed food addiction.  For me, it helps to think of it that way.  Like alcohol addiction isn't a "liquid addiction" -- it's about alcohol.  Just like "food addiction" isn't fully described when people say "food addiction."

If you watch youtube, there are several speakers on the topic being featured this week on a "Food Addiction Recovery" Week.  Some have experience in addiction of all kinds and now focus on sugar/processed food addiction.  In particularly, I really like Dr. Vera Tarman (MD) and Dr. Ifland (PhD).  I beleive there are 15 speakers throughout the week.  It's on "Chef AJ" youtube channel.  She had her first interview today with Dr. Robert Lustig.

Also, there is a program called Bright Line Eating (however, I don't think it's featured in this week's interviews).

Hope some of this helps! 

Honored Contributor

I recall a conversation years ago with co-workers at lunch.  Someone was talking about craving sweets, and another co-worker said if you are craving too many sweets it means you aren't getting enough protein.  Eat more protein.   I think she was at least partially right on that one.

Respected Contributor

So hard.  I don’t eat a ton of desserts but recently started on small amounts of candy recently.  (daily).   When I eat healthier and make better choices, my cravings are much less.  When I was doing WW (being very strict), when I craved sweets I would sometimes freeze a half a banana, it was smooth and creamy, and really reduced cravings.  A friend of mine swears by a half a banana and a 1/2 cup of milk works for her.  

I’ve kept the WW weight off (except about 2.5 lbs). Still have more to go, but at least not gaining the original loss back.    So I need to rid the daily candy treats again.  Good luck!  I know it’s a struggle for many of us.  It’s not easy.  Most of us have trigger foods.  

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

So hard.  I don’t eat a ton of desserts but recently started on small amounts of candy recently.  (daily).   When I eat healthier and make better choices, my cravings are much less.  When I was doing WW (being very strict), when I craved sweets I would sometimes freeze a half a banana, it was smooth and creamy, and really reduced cravings.  A friend of mine swears by a half a banana and a 1/2 cup of milk works for her.  

I’ve kept the WW weight off (except about 2.5 lbs). Still have more to go, but at least not gaining the original loss back.    So I need to rid the daily candy treats again.  Good luck!  I know it’s a struggle for many of us.  It’s not easy.  Most of us have trigger foods.  

@lynnie61 

Your comment made me think .... doesn't anyone have sugarless hard candies for the "sweet tooth" anymore?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  I’m sure there is sugar free hard candies, but not what I started on.  Candy is in the house for SO, and I know he had NONE  of it that is sugar free.  A lot of people have reactions to sugar free too.  I just feel better without ANY of it.  Just lazy and falling into an old habit on my part.  

Honored Contributor

You've probably already heard this but it takes 3 weeks for a new habit to kick in.  Do what you can to substitute until that time.  I'd try grapes.  They say frozen ones are good, but if you freeze those, the sugar content is higher.  So go with low cal fruit, and only 1-2 a day.

Now, about my chip addiction....