Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on being a sugar addict

Count me in this group, i think it is more of a female  thing,than male.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Sugar is a heck of a drug. I get off of it and then I fall back into eating sweets. I am trying to cut back again but it is so hard. I've cut extra sugar out of my diet and I can do it again but it is very difficult.I used to eat one cinnamon Jolly Rancher each night after dinner and that was it. And I was fine with that. They key is to not have it in the house. Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I struggle with it too.

What has worked for me is I have some sort of sweet every evening.    A piece of pie or cake, some cookes, ice cream, chocolate of some sort, etc.  Since I know I have this to look forward to it gets me thru the day without eating any other sugary anything.  

Honored Contributor

And it may be DNA. Hubbs is a real sugar lover. At weddings when served a piece of cake he always sends it back and asks for more frosting. He is slim and trim.

Trusted Contributor

Oh yes, I identify.  This summer my struggle is to NOT buy ice cream, because if it is here, I can't resist it.  You are so correct about portion control - that only works if someone else is controlling your food!

Trusted Contributor

I always enjoyed sweets (who doesn't) but it was easy for me to limit them to treats as part of a balanced diet.

Until I quit drinking alcohol last year. I didn't drink a lot, but enjoyed a daily cocktail and maybe two on Saturday. 

I turned into a raving sugar junkie!  Really struggling to control it now. I think part of it is a mindset of - hey, you saved all those calories on a cocktail, have the ice cream now.

Valued Contributor

I totally agree that sugar is addictive.  Once you eat it, you want more.  I have found that if I limit sugar,  I feel better.  Too much sugar definitely affects my joints and the way I feel in general..  I try to make "dessert"  out of something like canned pineapple in it's own juice with whipped cream on top.   It's easier once you get out of the habit of candy, ice cream,etc.

Honored Contributor

Eating sugar releases dopamine in the brain. It's a 'feel-good' substance that is as addictive as some opioid drugs such as codeine, morphine, heroin and many more. But unlike drugs, sugar can be eaten in smaller doses in order to curb the cravings.

Respected Contributor

I have been a candy fiend since I was a little kid. I can't get enough candy in my mouth. I could eat it all day and sometimes do. 

Since menopause, in the last few years, the sugary things including cakes and ice cream have caught up with me.  I gained a lot of weight.  I'm not happy about it and I know that it's the reason why.

I can't stop eating the candy. I love Kit Kats; like nobody's business. My son calls me Kit Kat. I love sugary candy like sour patch kids, gummy bears, sweet tarts...you name it. I knock of bags full. I could never stop at 1 or 2 and say that's enough. 

Funny thing is; I drink my coffee and tea without sugar.  I drink it all day long! I can't stand sugar in my beverages and I only drink seltzer water. Thank God because who knows how that would go???

I keep checking the status of a Jimmy The Baker order of chocolate chip muffins. I feel you sista.

I'm not making light of the situation because I know about addictions..and there are all kinds.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a sugar addict and love anything sweet. It is really difficult to stay away from as so many foods have added sugars. And I have issues with sugar free additives (if the name of the sub ends in "itol") as these make me sick.

I have been on a sugar reduction self imposed diet for the past month. No cakes, cookies, ice cream etc. I get my sweet fix in my morning coffee by adding a splash of Skinny Mixes (right now I am loving the butter toffee flavor) , eating a lot of berries and nectarines, and having a Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt for dessert. (usually strawberry, blueberry, or key lime flavor). So far it is working. My last fasting blood test was in the low pre diabetes range and that scared the you know what out of me, so I must change my sugar habits. I hope to see a major improvement next time.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something that helps you.