Honored Contributor

Thoughts on being a sugar addict

I am a sugar addict!  I have to fight it every day.  It's so hard!  I wonder -- does anyone else have this issue?  I have always had a huge sweet tooth from as far back as I can remember.  

People say --- just eat one small piece of chocolate -- just eat one little cookie --- this will satisfy you and you will forget about it.  No --- not for me.  If I get one taste, then I get even worse and I seem to really lose control.

I am now back to trying to lose some lbs. I gained --- again.  Not a ton of weight -- 15 lbs. -- but enough to make me unhappy.  My whole problem is the consumption of sugar -- all the unhealthy things --- which I know darn well I should not eat.  I try making substitutions but this doesn't satisfy me.  

It takes every single bit of my willpower all day long, each and every day.  I know for one thing, it's a bit easier if these treats are not in the house.  However, they are in the house because DH enjoys them.  I cann't forbid him to have them and eat them just because I have an issue with them.

Does anyone else here have a sugar issue and if so i-- does it ever get any easier?  

Please don't hit me with the hammer with your comments  -- I am aware this is terribly unhealthy and I am trying very hard.

Other than the sugar thing, my diet is really pretty healthy.

Thanks and I look forward to your posts. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thoughts on being a sugar addict

You are not alone.  It is a constant struggle for me as well.  Like you, I've had a sweet tooth for as long as I can remember (I'm 66).  I crave sweets from the moment I wake up until the minute I go to bed.  

I also agree that portion control does not work.  Can I eat one string bean or one piece of broccoli?  You bet.  Can I eat one brownie, piece of cake or cookie?  No way.  

I don't have the answer.  I hope someone can come up with some helpful tips.  

Honored Contributor

Years ago Phil Donahue (remember him) said the most addictive thing was not tobacco, but sugar.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Why do you think this is unhealthy?

Respected Contributor

There are plenty of us.  I'm a huge ice tea drinker and I keep trying different sugar subsitutes, but they all leave a weird after taste.  They also give me a headache.  Can't stand diet sodas.  I work at it everyday.  I love to bake, but I can't have sweets in the house.  My neighbors and friends do love the fact they get the homemade goodies.  We just have to keep trying.  Good luck and know I'm in the same boat.

Respected Contributor

Am enveloping you with a comforting, virtual hug.

"It takes every single bit of my willpower all day long, each and every day" shows you are clearly in the grip of addiction as you noted. 

I urge you to find a support group - an addiction is an addiction and you need to share your experience with others who understand. Perhaps counseling might be an option.

Those who urge you to just "take a bite" do not understand the powerful grip of addiction. That one little taste is a teaser, not an appeaser. It  only opens the floodgate to want more. Would anyone advise an alcoholic to "just have a sip"? Of course not.

I do understand and pray you have the right counsel and camraderie to come to peace with your issue.

Trusted Contributor

A day without chocolate is a day without sunshine. 

Life is for living.   

Trusted Contributor

You know what is helpful,   I keep protein bars in the house.  Chocolate ones that are low sugar,  they taste amazing and make me feel like I had a chocolate bar. and they fill me up.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 ---hello, my name is wagirl and I am a sweets addict!!!!Woman Wink

--Yes I do love me some sweets. Sugar is in EVERYTHING. My fave is chocolate--the dark kind and l have 2 oz everyday, whenever I want. But I eat less  of the other things--I love me some  carbs, too, so those are what I chose to  eliminate or portion control. And I find if I really focus on the carbs, I lose weight. So anything white is out--bread, spuds, rice, pasta and eat more salads  or veg and a little fruit. good protein is in my diet but just a palm size amount---it is hard to start,cause your brain is in control. Start reducing one thing at  first ,not everything at once---it is easier for me to not eat alot of sweets as refined white sugar can does funny things to my heart and nervous system,not serious life threatening things, just uncomfortable reactions-- but I can eat things with raw or organic sugar--the chemicals in white  sugar are the culprit. It ain't easy tho!!!

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I am the same way. I gained 22 lbs over the last couple of years. I have been trying the Noom diet plan and it is helping me. I won't endorse it for others because everyone is different. For me, it has helped me eat healthier and not have that constant "If I don't eat something sweet I will die" feeling. I don't have any quick remedies, I am hoping I don't go back to old habits, we shall see. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm right there with you. I sometimes think if all healthy food went away I would be fine eating only deserts forever. I'm especially addicted to anything chocolate, but it doesn't stop there. When people say "let's share a desert, it's too much" well not for me. Like you, once I start I don't stop. One brownie, cupcake, etc. not me. Sure I get it's not healthy and would be best not to have this addiction, but.... I've been lucky in that my weight doesn't fluctuate more than five pounds or so. I'm still a petite size four. Maybe if I gained weight I would rethink my choices -- maybe.