Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts and Advice Welcome!

@JohnnyWasnt wrote:

@vsm Thank you so much for giving so much thought to my friend's situation.  I do believe he has had an MRI and CT scan and they don't seem to know the cause of the seizures!

He has really been through the ringer (other health issues on top of this) and now to add this pushy boss (who is the OWNER of the business!) on top of everything. 

So much stress!!

Thanks again!

JW

You're very welcome, @JohnnyWasnt . You'r friend is fortunate to have a caring person like you in his life. It's very good that he has had both types of scans. Seizures that have no known cause are called "ideopathic." Perhaps his neurologist has concluded that this is the situation.  But if your friend has only seen the one doctor, he might want to ask that doctor to refer him to a neurologist who specializes in seizures and epilepsy, perhaps someone at a teaching hospital. If his doctor is a good one, he will be happy to make such a referral. I wish him well.

Respected Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt well, ok that is pretty crazy.  and intrusive.  

So, with this being the current situation, I think maybe he should thank his boss for the recommendation and your friend should forward the recommendation to his dr. and see what the doc. has to say.  I can imagine it will be a no from the doc., but at least he shows the boss some outward respect by acting as if he felt the recommendation was worth taking seriously . If/when the doctor says no, then he tells the boss, with some further explanation of what the dr. said.  Could it escalate further from there?  Maybe. He'll also need to assure or convey that his doc. is very confident that these seizures will be under control.    I'm not trying to get into the complexities of independent contractor status, disabilities, and work place accommodations, I just thought that this might be a smooth way to handle this.  I haven't read all the responses yet - maybe this is not an original suggestion!  or maybe i'm alone in this point of view.

I wish your friend the best. He does not need this inappropriate weirdness to add to what I'm sure is an already stressful situation he is going through.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JohnnyWasnt wrote:

Hi All,

I would love to hear your thoughts about our friend's situation.

Our long time friend is in his mid-60's and recently began suffering from seizures.  He is currently on medication which they are "tweaking".

He works as a salesman as an outside contractor (not an employee).  He informed his boss about his condition and the boss told him that unless he takes CBD to control the seizures, he will be "suspended".

Now, the bookkeeper/secretary at my friend's workplace is also urging him to follow the boss' instructions and is also pressuring him to take the CBD.

The boss told my friend that the CBD is FDA approved (it is not).  His boss has absolutely no medical background or training.

My friend's neurologist said it probably wouldn't hurt (!).  I did a little research and read that sometimes CBD can actually trigger seizures instead of reducing them.  

Am I the one who is crazy?  I am beyond appalled at the nerve of this "boss" blackmailing his "employee" to take his "medical" advice as to how to treat his seizure condition. How does he have the nerve to tell our friend what "medication" to use?  What business is it of his?  He has a NEUROLOGIST for this very purpose - a real medical doctor!

I fume every time I think of this.  Of course, I would love for my friend to just quit but that's really not ideal financially right now.

I would really like to hear other thoughts!  Thanks so much and apologies for the long post.

JW

@JohnnyWasnt @You friend should only do what he and his doctors have decided he should do. This boss could be sued for his actions. It's up to your friend whether he stays with the company. It is often the case that anti seizure meds must be tweaked to get the correct dose. CBD has only been shown to have an effect on specific types of seizure. CBD is not FDA approved to treat all seizures and the boss giving him an ultimatum like he did might even be illegal. The boss is certainly not the sharpest tack in the box. 

Two types of rare, childhood, seizure disorders, Dravets Syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome can use the prescription Epidolex, which contains CBD, when prescribed by a licensed physician. 

TRY CALLING THE ACLU AND LOCAL BAR ASSOCIATION FOR PRO BONO REPRESENTATION.

Everything I'm hearing is a violation of The Americans With Disabilities Act. 

EPIDIOLEX is the first and only FDA-approved prescription cannabidiol (CBD) to treat seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS), Dravet syndrome ...
Honored Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt @Save those texts. Make notes of any discussions. This looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 @Was the neurologist informed that this was an ultimatum, or did the neurologist only think that the boss had made a sufggestion. Big difference, 

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars @The issue is between the boss offering a suggestion and the boss issuing an ultimatum which could jeopardize your friend's employment and his heath and this ultimatum is based on completely false information. The FDA has only approved one medicine containing CBD and thismrdicineisfir the treatment of two childhood seizure disorders. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Cakers3 @Was the neurologist informed that this was an ultimatum, or did the neurologist only think that the boss had made a sufggestion. Big difference, 

@Mindy D   I am not the OP so I am not privy to the exact words spoken to the neurologist.

It does not matter-the fact that the patient mentioned CBD and the the neurologist responded with it couldn't hurt?

The neurologist should have taken the time to discuss the CBD issue-pros, cons, interactions with the prescribed medication, etc.

It is isn't what the patient said; it is how the neurologist responded.

With side effects possibly increasing seizures, the doctor had the responsibility to guide the patient.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Frequent Contributor

You Guys!  I am truly speechless as to how much thought you have put into my friend's plight!  I am just Wowed!  I really appreciate it!

@vsm Thank you so much for your thoughtful thoughts and suggestions! I really appreciate the input and your kind words : )

@moonandthestars "Inappropriate weirdness" - perfect description!  Thanks so much for your suggestions and comments!

@Mindy D Thank you so much for the information about CBD (that's what I thought) and the great suggestions - especially saving those texts!

@Cakers3 I appreciate your comments about his doctor's responsibilities!  I thought the response was a little cavalier.  Thank you!

@gertrudecloset@phoenixbrd , @Group 5 minus 1@BirkiLady@hckynutjohn@tends2dogs@qualitygal  - Thank you all for your thoughtful comments, opinions and suggestions!!

And anyone I have missed, I have read and re-read everyone's responses and am truly grateful to you all!

JW

Honored Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt wrote:

I think y'all see now why it's so hard not to get sucked in!

What the heck is going on!?!

Smiley Mad JW

Suucked into a fake story...

I can't be the only one that doesn't believe a word of this...

Honored Contributor

Get a new credit card and a new boss. This whole story is weird.