Occasional Contributor

Re: Thoughts and Advice Welcome!

I agree with the posts recommending your friend refrains from discussing his medical condition/ treatment with anyone in his workplace and that he retain an attorney ASAP.  Being a physician myself, there is another aspect of this that occurred to me, as well...Your friend may be jeopardizing his relationship with his Neurologist.  If he is taking substances other than what is prescribed for a neurologic condition, that may become an issue in the doctor/patient relationship.  In many parts of the country, Neurologists are scarce and if I had one that I trusted, I woud not want to risk being discharged from that practice for following the ill informed "demands" of someone who has no business being involved in your friend's healthcare.   This situation is absurd in so many ways that I'm shocked someone hasn't already sued this person for practicing medicine without a license!

Esteemed Contributor

He is self-employed and is over 60 years old. He is having seizures and the neurologist has prescribed him a medication to control the seizures. I am surprised he still has a driver's license. I would think that he has to be on time out to see if the medication is controlling his seizures. He could be endangering himself and other people on the road.

His boss doesn't have a medical degree and no business telling him what to take. I would think his neurologist should give him a note to take to the employer. Stating he is on medication to control the seizures and doesn't advise the addition of CBD. If that isn't enough, then I would contact a Civil Rights Attorney. He is in a position that is very detrimental to his well being.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ML in FL wrote:

I agree with the posts recommending your friend refrains from discussing his medical condition/ treatment with anyone in his workplace and that he retain an attorney ASAP.  Being a physician myself, there is another aspect of this that occurred to me, as well...Your friend may be jeopardizing his relationship with his Neurologist.  If he is taking substances other than what is prescribed for a neurologic condition, that may become an issue in the doctor/patient relationship.  In many parts of the country, Neurologists are scarce and if I had one that I trusted, I woud not want to risk being discharged from that practice for following the ill informed "demands" of someone who has no business being involved in your friend's healthcare.   This situation is absurd in so many ways that I'm shocked someone hasn't already sued this person for practicing medicine without a license!

@ML in FL    The neurologist was informed about the CBD and said it probably couldn't hurt. Cat Surprised

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt wrote:

Hi All,

I would love to hear your thoughts about our friend's situation.

Our long time friend is in his mid-60's and recently began suffering from seizures.  He is currently on medication which they are "tweaking".

He works as a salesman as an outside contractor (not an employee).  He informed his boss about his condition and the boss told him that unless he takes CBD to control the seizures, he will be "suspended".

Now, the bookkeeper/secretary at my friend's workplace is also urging him to follow the boss' instructions and is also pressuring him to take the CBD.

The boss told my friend that the CBD is FDA approved (it is not).  His boss has absolutely no medical background or training.

My friend's neurologist said it probably wouldn't hurt (!).  I did a little research and read that sometimes CBD can actually trigger seizures instead of reducing them.  

Am I the one who is crazy?  I am beyond appalled at the nerve of this "boss" blackmailing his "employee" to take his "medical" advice as to how to treat his seizure condition. How does he have the nerve to tell our friend what "medication" to use?  What business is it of his?  He has a NEUROLOGIST for this very purpose - a real medical doctor!

I fume every time I think of this.  Of course, I would love for my friend to just quit but that's really not ideal financially right now.

I would really like to hear other thoughts!  Thanks so much and apologies for the long post.

JW

@JohnnyWasnt 

I have only read the first page of posts in your thread, but it certainly does seem to be ...  peculiar.

The boss, who has no medical degree, has no business inserting himself into your friend's prescribed treatment plan.   

For that matter, why are YOU sticking your nose so deeply into your friend's situation?  A grown man in his 60's should be able to handle this on his own.  You're doing the same thing as the boss.   

JMO, of course.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

He is self-employed and is over 60 years old. He is having seizures and the neurologist has prescribed him a medication to control the seizures. I am surprised he still has a driver's license. I would think that he has to be on time out to see if the medication is controlling his seizures. He could be endangering himself and other people on the road.

His boss doesn't have a medical degree and no business telling him what to take. I would think his neurologist should give him a note to take to the employer. Stating he is on medication to control the seizures and doesn't advise the addition of CBD. If that isn't enough, then I would contact a Civil Rights Attorney. He is in a position that is very detrimental to his well being.

@elated   The neurologist was told about the CBD and said it probably couldn't hurt.

Something is off about his medical care.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@elated wrote:

@elated   The neurologist was told about the CBD and said it probably couldn't hurt.

Something is off about his medical care.

Very strange coming from a Neurologist. He said it couldn't hurt but would it help. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JohnnyWasnt wrote:

Hi All,

I would love to hear your thoughts about our friend's situation.

Our long time friend is in his mid-60's and recently began suffering from seizures.  He is currently on medication which they are "tweaking".

He works as a salesman as an outside contractor (not an employee).  He informed his boss about his condition and the boss told him that unless he takes CBD to control the seizures, he will be "suspended".

Now, the bookkeeper/secretary at my friend's workplace is also urging him to follow the boss' instructions and is also pressuring him to take the CBD.

The boss told my friend that the CBD is FDA approved (it is not).  His boss has absolutely no medical background or training.

My friend's neurologist said it probably wouldn't hurt (!).  I did a little research and read that sometimes CBD can actually trigger seizures instead of reducing them.  

Am I the one who is crazy?  I am beyond appalled at the nerve of this "boss" blackmailing his "employee" to take his "medical" advice as to how to treat his seizure condition. How does he have the nerve to tell our friend what "medication" to use?  What business is it of his?  He has a NEUROLOGIST for this very purpose - a real medical doctor!

I fume every time I think of this.  Of course, I would love for my friend to just quit but that's really not ideal financially right now.

I would really like to hear other thoughts!  Thanks so much and apologies for the long post.

JW

@JohnnyWasnt 

I have only read the first page of posts in your thread, but it certainly does seem to be ...  peculiar.

The boss, who has no medical degree, has no business inserting himself into your friend's prescribed treatment plan.   

For that matter, why are YOU sticking your nose so deeply into your friend's situation?  A grown man in his 60's should be able to handle this on his own.  You're doing the same thing as the boss.   

JMO, of course.

@Tinkrbl44 

I have to agree that @JohnnyWasnt  is too invested in this situation.

Caring is one thing but fuming over it is quite another.

I am concerned that this friend has more underlying issues than just seizures.

All he can do is advise his friend to seek professional help, both legal and medical.  I am surprised the neurologist said that the CBD "probably" couldn't hurt.

The credit card issue is so off the wall I cannot even find the words.

Honored Contributor

I say this everytime: see an attorney,one who specials in workplace law

I'm sure your"friend" doesn't want to pay attorney fees,but it could mean his job.

Honored Contributor

Just remembered something. When I was taking X-Rays (waaay back in the 60's) we had a tech that had a seizure, was afraid to tell anyone she was an epileptic. Of course,she was fired.

Honored Contributor

People are so afraid to spend money. Sometimes all it takes is one letter from an attorney. This will not turn out well!