Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thought I Had Broken My Wrist, But....

@mrniceguy wrote:

I was clearing a fence line Sunday afternoon of several small trees that had thorns all over the trunk and limbs of the tree. Wierd looking things. Anyway, as I was pilling them up on my brush pile to later burn, I tossed one and it bounced back at me. A thorn stuck into my wrist area and you talk about something that really hurt. Wow - pain shot through my arm and hand. Later that night, I couldn't move my hand without shooting pains. By morning, my wrist was quit swollen and throbbing. I thought I must have broken my wrist. Being as it was Labor Day, I knew I would have to go to the ER for treatment and probably sit there for hours waiting. So, I decided to wait until today and see how it feels. Well, I can move it now, so it's not broken. I think the thorn hit the bone or a tendon. It feels a little feverish and still pretty painful. You're probably going to say " go see a doctor and get an antibiotic". Is there anything I can take that would have similar effect as an antibiotic without having to go to a doctor?   

The wrist area has a number of externsor and flexor tendons and nerves that could very well have been injurerd.

Go to urgent care.

redtop did not mention what she meat by. "shot."  I would simply get myself to urgent care ASAP.

Tetanus, yes, if you are not up to date and probaby augmentin, an antibiotic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If cost is an issue, you want to make sure that if you decide to go the Urgent Care route that the facility can do xrays there as this type of injury most likely requires an xray.  Otherwise, they are just going to examine you and refer you to a place for xrays and you will have wasted time and money.

In general, I am a big fan of the CVS Minute Clinic and Target Clinics.  I have gone for minor things on Sundays (why it's always Sunday with me, I do not know, but it is) and have been very pleased with the care, cleanliness, efficiency, wait time and convenience.  The Nurse Practitioners I have seen (4 in all) have been top notch

Both of these should be covered by most insurance as they prefer you go to these than the ER.

The  cost at CVS is $53 and the cost at Target was $49.  My insurance covered it at 90% after deductible.  They offerred me generic Rx options so I was out of there for way under $100 out of pocket (if it wasn't covered).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

That sounds very painful!

Remember that all kinds of bacteria are all around us.  I would see a doctor asap... JMHO.

20 years ago I was mending a pair of blue jeans for my son.  I pricked my thumb pretty badly with the thread end of the needle.  I noticed my little dog licking her mouth oddly so I got up and lifted her lip with my thumb.  Within six hours I had three lines going up my arm from a highly infected thumb.  It hurt like blazes.  Got to the doctor, the thumb was lanced, I was put on antibiotic and the thumb almost got totally well, but the infection was still there, so back I went after my first course of treatment.  This time they did a test of the infected area and discovered I had TWO bacterias and one was rampant, the other controlled by the antibiotics I was taken.  Another course of a different antibiotic and finally (after a total of a month and both infections were gone!

BUT the infections waged a war in my body because one of the lines apparently got into my lympth nodes (and they didn't think it did), and from there I became very sick. I had STAT testing to try and determine what was wrong with me.  I was on antibiotics for a total (off and on) of a year with barely two to three weeks off of them.  They thought I had LYMPHOMA, or LEUKEMIA or HODKINS and I knew none of those were good.  Finally had a test of my lymph nodes with them taking a sample from my neck.... BUT GOOD NEWS, the lymph nodes in my neck had remissed!!  They went into my chest to retrieve them.

The news was good in that I did not have any of the three I mentioned and was diagosed with Pulmonary Sarcoidosis that went into remission on its own, something it rarely does!  I had to be checked annually and did so for 18 years!

ALL because of an infection that quickly became out of hand.

So.... if your wound is hot and hurts, it's likely infected and I'd suggest seeing someone about it as soon as you can.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

You have my sincere sympathy.    I dug out a scrub palm myself.....and you don't want to hear the story...............(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥