Honored Contributor

Re: Those who have had COVID vaccine one

@PilatesLover wrote:

I got the first shot last Wednesday, had a mild headache that day then very bad fatigue and headache the next day, but was still functioning.

Suddenly, yesterday - ten days later - I had flu like symptoms bad enough that I spent most of the day in bed.  Fatigue, RA flared, muscle pain, bad back pain, and the most excrutiating headache.  It was so bad I took a leftover Vicodin from my foot surgery.

Today I'm worn out, but fine.  I was almost going to get a COVID test but it doesn't seem necessary now.

Just wonderfing if others have experienced a delayed reaction like this?

@PilatesLover   I just received my shot today about An hour and a half ago.....hope I do. Not feel THAT bad🙁

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was very concerned about my possible reaction to the covid vaccine because I'm generally hypersensitive and I have an as yet undiagnosed malady going on, possibly pre-clinical RA.  Whatever it might be, I feel my immune system is out of whack.

So I got my first Moderna shot Friday night.  Saturday, a sore arm only. Today, I feel like keyrap -- overhwhelming fatigue, weakness, no focus.  I basically haven't been able to move all day.  I hope tomorrow shows improvement.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Super Contributor

I am 9 days post my first Moderna vaccine.  My arm was quite achy for the second and third day, and I was fatigued the day after the shot.  All was well until day 7 (two days ago).  I feel fine but have developed the pink, itchy rash in about a three inch diameter around the site of the injection.  I’ll give my doctor a call tomorrow if it doesn’t start to subside.  BTW...I was concerned about the Moderna vaccine because of underlying allergy issues, and Moderna has been connected to anaphylaxis a few times, but that was not a problem.  I guess, just like the disease, these vaccines are a little bit odd, too. Fine with me....far better than to have Covid.

Respected Contributor

I hope everyone is getting the information to sign up with vsafe, the CDC symptom tracking program. They text you every day for a week after your first shot asking about any symptoms, then once a week until you get the second. I assume it then starts again every day. I think they contact you if you are having significant symptoms. You do need to have a smart phone and be willing to receive text messages.

Honored Contributor

My coworker had the same reaction.  The day after the vaccine, she had some mild soreness at the injection site that lasted a day or two.  Then she was fine, then 10 days later she had all the symptoms you menationed, except for the back pain.  She got the vaccine at work so she spoke to a nurse in occupational health who told her it was just her body's response to developing immunity and she should only take Tylenol for the pain.  She then called her own physician who told her the same thing and that a delayed response  like her's was very rare but it does happen.  

Honored Contributor

@Cal22 wrote:

@PilatesLover  Yes, suddenly I had a reaction seven days after first vaccine shot. My arm-at site of injection- had a irregular light pink patch that itched badly. This lasted for two days. Used tiny bit of hydocortisone cream at top of patch-not the whole pink patch. Did not do much good.

There was no reaction immediately after receiving vaccine.

2nd shot coming up in a week!

@Cal22 

Some recipients of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine say a rash has appeared on their arm seven to 10 days after being immunized.

Called 'COVID arm,' the rare side effect leaves people with itchy and swollen skin, sometimes accompanied by red lumps or hives.

Doctors say the splotch is a harmless response from the immune system to the shot that fades within a week.

The rare side effect, dubbed 'COVID arm' appears as a red and swollen splotch, that is often painful to the touch  

Some people who have received the Moderna vaccine say that, within a week, they have a rash on their arm

'We want to reassure people that this is a known phenomenon,' Dr. Esther Freeman, director of global health dermatology at Massachusetts General Hospital, told USA TODAY.

'Having a big red splotch on your arm for a couple of days may not be fun but the reality is there's no need to panic and no reason not to get your second shot.' 

Freeman says the official term used by dermatologists and allergists to describe the side effect is 'delayed cutaneous hypersensitivity.'

Cutaneous means affecting the skin, hypersensitivity mean an unwanted reaction produced by the immune system and delayed because it typically occurs days after the shot is given. 

The rash is typically red and swollen, and sometime painful to the touch, and always appears on the arm in which the vaccine was administered.

Such reactions have also been found in people who've received tetanus vaccines,  the chickenpox vaccine and the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine.

But COVID arm has only occurred in people who received Moderna's COIVD-19 vaccine, not Pfizer's, and has been reported in their clinical trials.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I got the first shot last Wednesday, had a mild headache that day then very bad fatigue and headache the next day, but was still functioning.

Suddenly, yesterday - ten days later - I had flu like symptoms bad enough that I spent most of the day in bed.  Fatigue, RA flared, muscle pain, bad back pain, and the most excrutiating headache.  It was so bad I took a leftover Vicodin from my foot surgery.

Today I'm worn out, but fine.  I was almost going to get a COVID test but it doesn't seem necessary now.

Just wonderfing if others have experienced a delayed reaction like this?

I haven't had the Covid vaccine yet, but I have that reaction every year when I get the regular flu shot. But, my reactions are not as strong as yours. 

Frequent Contributor

I haven't had my vaccine yet, but I will jdo Moderna. I'm not going to do J&J, b/c it's only in the 70% effective. Dr. Fauci still recommended it. I won't be happy if they ship off Moderna to other countries while giving us J&J.

Super Contributor

Funny you mention safe!  I’ve been responding every day, basically reporting that all is well.  And then, my arm rash appeared on the day after they ended contacting me.  I am glad to know that they will be in touch again within the week!

Super Contributor

I got my 1st Pfizer shot 3 weeks ago with no problem other than a sore arm which wasn't bad. I got the 2nd shot last Thursday & my arm was a little more sore but that was it. Also I feel very lucky as I was in & out in 30 minutes for the 1st shot & out in 25 minutes for the 2nd shot. The center was so organized & no problem parking, no lines & walked right in. I can't believe how so many people are having so many problems so I feel very lucky not having to wait in line & not having any problems with the vaccine. I wish everyone could have the same experience I had but we know that won't happen. People that are having problems getting the vaccine & having to wait in long lines, just think it is worth it rather than getting COVID19.