Honored Contributor

Re: Those of you that have had a temporary crown

Long story, but I had a temp. for six months - no problems

A call to your dentist sounds like a good idea.

Good luck!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've had issues with temporary crowns.  I hate them!

The good news is, they are temporary, but I'll bet the dentist can make it work better while you await the final one.  I just usually don't even chew on them.

I have more crowns then I can count.  Some have been replaced!😷

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Hooty My dentist makes the crown while I wait....no more temporary crowns!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Ugh --- I got one a few months go!  It was not a good experience.  The crown felt like it was huge in my month -- I felt like a had a big rock in there.  Same as you -- I felt like I had no room for my tongue and I was biting my cheek and my tongue.  Finally, I got the permanent one installed --- at least I thought it was permanent!  But, it turns out --- it was not molded properly and was too big also for my mouth so --- they had to take it out and I had to have the plaster stuff put back in my mouth for a new mold!  By that time, my mouth was so sore and my jaw was killing me.  Then, of course, they had to put another temporary crown on.  Waited a week and then another "permenant" crown installed.  It took weeks and weeks for my mouth to recover from all of this!!  I was not a happy camper!!!!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Just got back from the dentist, they filed my temp crown down in the back, and it feels so much better, so glad it was a quick fix!

Thanks to all of you that responded with your kind thoughts!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Finally, after waiting 2 wks., I got my permanent crown, can't wait to be able to eat properly!Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Hooty My dentist makes the crown while I wait....no more temporary crowns!

Our dentist makes the crown while we wait too...whole process takes about 1.5 hrs....that includes the prep time for the tooth being crowned...and no biting into goop....he uses an instrument he puts in your mouth to do all the measurements....just about perfect all the time...DW

Esteemed Contributor

Temporary crowns are just that...temporary. They are not meant to last and may even fall off altogether. Still, call your dentist to report the problem, and while you’re at it, see if the permanent crown has come in so that you might be able to move up your appointment.

Valued Contributor

I just had my permanent crown put in yesterday after about a week and a half of the temporary. I had a temporary come out one time, but this one stayed put.  I could not floss around it because I was sure it would pop out.  Yesterday the hygenist took out the temporary and popped in the permanent, but without the cement and waiting for the dentist to come in and do it, I kept thinking what if I swallowed the darn thing. It was the upper very back tooth.  $700 down the gullet was all I could think of! Woman Surprised Fortunately the dentist came in right after that!!!!!  I wonder if that has ever happened to anyone! Horrors!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @chihuahuamom, when I was young my Mom swallowed a gold crown.  It must have come out in her sleep or something.

No lie, she went through her (well you get it) for days.  I'm not sure if she found it.  I'll have to remember to ask her!

Cogito ergo sum