Esteemed Contributor

This is what happens when you put off elective surgery...

My gallbladder decided that it wasn't going to wait any longer and became infected and inflamed.

I spent almost a week in the hospital and had 2 surgeries. My gallbladder was so bad that they had to go back in down my throat .... to put a stent from my liver to my stomach. I also had to have a drain.

No family members were allowed to be there with me either because of Covid-19...

I'm almost 65 and this was my first surgey, so I didn't know what to expect and I was in so much pain

Pretty scary

Honored Contributor

Re: This is what happens when you put off elective surgery...

I hope you are feeling much better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma 

I am sorry you had to go through such an ordeal, especially since it was your first experience with invasive surgery.

You are 1 of the millions of people unmentioned during this shutdown of ALL elective surgeries(?). There are so many cancer and heart patients that fell into this, to me, arbitrary decision on what is and what isn't elective surgeries.

I understand, to a certain degree, both sides of this thing. Many, maybe some like yourself, that were fearful of going to a hospital, and ended up as you unfortunately did.

I hope your recovery all goes well for you. Any time infections are involved that needs to be closely watched.

Appreciate you telling your story as this is what had been overlooked by many during these lock downs, some I see as unnecessarily strict.

My very best to you,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  So sorry this happened to you. Hope you’re doing well 🙂

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

So sorry you had to go through that. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 🌈

My gallbladder acts up from time to time. I have a sister and a friend who both had theirs removed. Removing mine is not so simple due to previous intestinal surgeries and conditions. I have cut way back on fats, fried foods, breads, and other things that cause it to flare up. Still, afraid I’ll have to have it removed eventually, and it won’t be easy for my body. 

Contributor

I am so sorry this happened to you so much going on it is very scarey out there. I have a question to ask and you might be able answer. A week ago I broke out with shingles on my left side near waist and around to middle back, I have been taking antviral for 6 days it is clearing, but my question to you is how does this start? My left side by my ribcage is swollen a bit hurts a little not bad but enough it has me worried. Is this how gall bladder attacks happen? I am also 65 dealing with a very sick husband, just don't want to deal with anything else by surprise I know I should be talking to my dr. just thought maybe you could enlighten me Thank you and I hope you feel better soon!

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for you, that you will mend quickly and easily.

That was scary.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma   I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal.  Sounds like you had quite a ride.  I can fully appreciate the pain you've endured.

I had a gallbladder attack in 1970, and knew with certainty that I didn't want another.  I had surgery as soon as it could be scheduled and that whole ordeal was painful.

Hope you make a speedy recovery and feel better soon.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma   Wow...so sorry you had to endear so much🙁 Hope you  are on the mend  now. Stay well❤️

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness! How horrible that must have been. I'm so sorry